PDA

View Full Version : Royal Flush vs. Straight Flush.

OrianasDaad
02-04-2005, 08:31 AM
Why do we call an ace-high straight flush a royal flush. I know that it's probably because it has all the "royal" cards (J, K, Q) - but we don't call an ace-high straight a "royal straight".

Caruso329
02-04-2005, 08:36 AM
Because that'd just be stupid. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Actually I don't know.. and don't care really.
Really, royal flush shouldn't even be a hand category IMO, a straight flush should just be the best hand (with a ace high straight flush being best of course). Hand order doesn't go:

Three of a kind
Straight
Ace high straight
Flush
Ace high flush

so why should it be straight flush and royal flush?

A good, pointless question deserves a good (not really), pointless answer.

stigmata
02-04-2005, 08:39 AM
Its the Absolute Stone-Cold Mother-F'ing Nuts - it deserves a special name.

Wherease ace-high straights are just a bit dull in comparison.

JFB37
02-04-2005, 10:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
we don't call an ace-high straight a "royal straight"

[/ QUOTE ]

'cause it's called "Broadway."

TomBrooks
02-04-2005, 06:59 PM
Because a flush is better than a straight, and this hand deserves the best name possible. BTW, I just got my first one after 14,000 hands.

jojobinks
02-04-2005, 10:03 PM
i love how every show, when explaining what beats what, explains that a royal flush is better than a straight flush. i wonder what would happen if they explained that an A high flush beats a K high flush, and that that a T high straight beats a 9 high straight, and so on and so on.

it's ridiculous. and it doesn't need it's own name.

pokerrookie
02-04-2005, 11:38 PM
Thats one way to start getting out of a big downswing. Congrats!

benfranklin
02-05-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]

it's ridiculous. and it doesn't need it's own name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Big Slick doesn't need its own name either. Neither does the Deadman's Hand, or Presto!, or the Doyle Brunson (either of them /images/graemlins/shocked.gif). They are part of the history and tradition of the game, and they enrich the language. Enjoy!

Awesemo
02-05-2005, 02:44 PM
The best I can come up with is it's called that because of video poker. The payout for royal flush is different from the payout of other straight flushes.

TomBrooks
02-05-2005, 03:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Thats one way to start getting out of a big downswing. Congrats!

[/ QUOTE ] Thanks, PR. I only made $14 with it though (Party .5/1). Not bad, but not a notable pot. The best part is just getting it. I grabbed a screenshot of it and emailed it to some friends and family for kicks and giggles. -TomBk

TomBrooks
02-05-2005, 03:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know that it's probably because it has all the "royal" cards (J, K, Q)...

[/ QUOTE ]
What is Royal about a Jack, anyway? I mean, what is a Jack? Everyone knows what a King and a Queen are, but I never heard of a Jack other than the card name. I could Google it, but I will wait on that as I'm curious to see if anyone knows what a Jack is, anyway.

-TomBk

benfranklin
02-05-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm curious to see if anyone knows what a Jack is, anyway.

-TomBk

[/ QUOTE ]

The Jack used to be called the Knave. One theory is that the abbreviations of K for King and Kn for knave were confusing, especially since Kn is also Knight in chess, and people started using other names. I've heard that "Jack" was the specific name for the Knave of Trumps in some old game, and eventually it became generic and replaced Knave. Various stories are that the Knave was a prince, a soldier, or a knight originally.

Wake up CALL
02-06-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The best I can come up with is it's called that because of video poker. The payout for royal flush is different from the payout of other straight flushes.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI

The Royal Flush existed long long before video poker was ever invented.

memphis57
02-06-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Its the Absolute Stone-Cold Mother-F'ing Nuts - it deserves a special name.

[/ QUOTE ]

Note, this is only true in THE. Since there are 4 royal flushes in the deck, in various other games, it is theoreticaly possible for one royal to push against another (the odds of that being about eleventy-gigabazillion to one, or thereabouts).

I hit a royal early in my Party Poker career, against 4 aces and aces-full-of-kings. Took down a 30 BB pot. My only other royal netted me about 5 BB.

CORed
02-07-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the odds of that being about eleventy-gigabazillion to one, or thereabouts

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, it's eleventy-two gigabazillion to one, if you want to get technical.

EliteNinja
02-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Shouldn't it be called a Broadway Flush?

Dynasty
02-07-2005, 11:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI

The Royal Flush existed long long before video poker was ever invented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be harsh. People who were born after the invention of video poker can't grasp that the world once existed without it. It changed humanity forever. And, for those born afterwards, effects they way they view the world.