PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever see this angle?

detroitplayer
02-04-2005, 07:17 AM
If it is an angle...

It's to the turn, heads up, with a pretty decent pot in a NL cash game.

Player 1 bets.

Player 2 ponders, then starts stacking his chips in front of him to call.

Player 1, before Player 2 even completes his call, says "call" and moves his entire stack in front of him in a "he beat him to the pot holding the nuts" type of motion. (As if to call player 2's 'supposed' all in.)

Player 2 and the rest of the table, say "what are you doing, that was just a call of your bet?!?! there was no re-raise.".

Player 1 says "sorry, I thought he said all in".

Not that I believe Player 1 was trying to convince everyone that Player 2 did move all in, but now Player 1 has an enormous mental edge over Player 2 by supposedly having a hand good enough to call an all in.

Player 1 can now make a big bet on the river and move Player 2 off of pretty much any hand because Player 2 is now thinking "damn, he WANTED me to go all in on the turn". Or Player 1 can check with near 100% certainty that Player 2 is going to check it down for fear of getting re-raised.

If I bought Player 1's act as geniune, as in I really did believe he thought I was moving in, and I really did think he was going to call my all in, I would have a really, really hard time calling a river bet unless I had a monster... and there's probably no [censored] way I'd bet the river if checked to me in that situation.

If I didn't have such a strong moral compass, I'd try this move myself! /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Granted you could only use it once per game, and never again if you see any of the same people at your table... /images/graemlins/cool.gif

tek
02-04-2005, 09:30 AM
At a live table the dealer will warn you to play in turn. So if you want to do this once, go ahead.

detroitplayer
02-04-2005, 02:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
At a live table the dealer will warn you to play in turn. So if you want to do this once, go ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably, but the response would simply be "I thought he was betting all in". Is the dealer going to call you a liar?

tek
02-04-2005, 06:44 PM
The first time, no.