PDA

View Full Version : XM Radio

DeezNuts
02-04-2005, 03:13 AM
Anyone have any experience with XM Radio or Sirius? I am thinking of getting the Delphi hand-held thing. What are the advantages of XM vs. Sirius?

I only really need it in my car and when I go to the gym, and I like random songs, as long as it's in the genre I'm in the mood for. I don't have the patience to d/l songs and I think I've bought about 10 cds in my life.

I heard the service is $10/month, I don't mind paying just to get rid of all the damn annoying commercials in my car, but does anyone know how the car adapter works? Does it link into your speaker system via a tape(like the old portable cd players)? How good is the interface on the Delphi? Any comments would be helpful, thanks.

DN

peachy
02-04-2005, 03:31 AM
I have XM its 9.99 a month...some people say the others have a wider range of stations...but the XM is alight with me /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Evan
02-04-2005, 03:32 AM
I used to have XM when I had a car. It was cool but I liked my iPod better.

Jack of Arcades
02-04-2005, 04:50 AM
Agreed, I don't care what stations any radio gives me, I've got 8000 songs on my Creative.

jstnrgrs
02-04-2005, 05:14 AM
Is XM only for the car, or can you get it indoors also? I work in a building where I can't get reception for most stations, would I have better luck with sat. radio?

jakethebake
02-04-2005, 09:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I used to have XM when I had a car. It was cool but I liked my iPod better.

[/ QUOTE ]
I've always wondered... People with iPods claim they never listen to the radio anymore. But where do you discover new songs to put into your iPod?

Lazymeatball
02-04-2005, 09:38 AM
Does anyone have any experience with the quality of reception on a handheld satelite radio system? My dad rides the train for any hour every morning and evening and would like to listen to news and talk radio without commercials. So far I've heard that you need a really good line of sight for SatRadio to work, which you might not be able to get with a portable on a commuter train. Thoughts?

peachy
02-04-2005, 12:26 PM
no its not just for the car...u can take it with u places...u can even use just one reciever thingy (forgive me i dont know technical terms)...this then plugs into another base (say a radio for xm) and u can listen to it outside of ur car or where-ever

meep_42
02-04-2005, 12:36 PM
You need a line of sight to the sky -- but even high trees and highway overpasses screw mine up every now and then. (My car isn't idea for the antenna, it works perfectly in my brother's.)

I got the Sirius portable thing for christmas, and it's pretty nice. It works by transmitting a low power FM radio signal to your car/whatever, and works well. Only problem is that in a dense metro area, it may be tough to find enough 'dead space' on the dial to get a good frequency.

As for the gym, no chance there, but I have the cradle for my house, which comes with another antenna and audio cables to plug into your stereo.

Good luck.

-d