PDA

View Full Version : Music and you (long)

johnnycakes
02-04-2005, 02:13 AM
My parents were never big music fans. I mean, they like music, like everyone else, but they collectively own less than twenty albums, all bought pre-1980.

My brother and I, somehow, are huge music appreciators. We play, listen and discuss music. Until I discovered poker, it consumed my life.

I can't listen to a song without feeling some emotion. Songs become associated in our brains with people, times and places and even influence our growth as individuals. I am positive I would not be the same person I am today if I had not discovered Guided by Voices' "Bee Thousand" ten years ago.

The worst songs make me angry. The best songs I've ever heard make my heart flutter and my eyes fill with tears. It's comparible to realizing you're in love.

When I read the lists in the "25 songs" thread, I get angry. I see lists by obviously very intelligent people filled with music that I regard as abhorrent. Most of this music is popular music. I have the urge to criticize these lists. I want to tear them apart. The notion that some of these songs are the ones you would choose to listen to for the rest of your life makes me feel very sad.

But these songs are what people like. They are what they have grown up listenting to and it reflects their taste. That is why I do not posts criticisms. It is pointless to tell someone a song they like is not good. They enjoy the song, therefore the song is enjoyable. No amount of words will change their mind.

My concern, and I guess my point, is I feel people are too typically too lax in their efforts of appreciating music (and other art forms). People are too ready to accept what they are shown, er played, on the radio and MTV. The songs on MTV and radio are played because they are the types of songs that sell. And they sell because they are what has always been played.

I know it's hard to add new styles/genres to your musical palate after it's formed, but it's possible and worth the effort. I used to hate Indian food. Now I can't eat enough of it. Too many people disregard music if it doesn't sound great to them upon first listen. This is a travesty. Most of my favorite albums of all time are not ones that I immediately loved. I had to spend time with them. I had to get to know them to hear their greatness. The reward is definitely worth the effort.

Thoughts?

Reef
02-04-2005, 02:21 AM
I just think that any of the songs on your 25 list should be out for more than 1 year minimum.

nothumb
02-04-2005, 02:24 AM
I've felt basically the same way, although lately I've developed an appreciation for meaningless music. Here's something to try sometime - see if you can write a great pop song.

It's harder than you would think. I majored in music and the closest I have come is a great country song.

NT

Jack of Arcades
02-04-2005, 02:36 AM
I surely disagree. Maybe a few months, sure, but one year? Hell I've only been listening to music heavily for 3.