PDA

View Full Version : Quick econ question

istewart
02-04-2005, 12:23 AM
Aside from hedonic adjustment issues, explain one reason why the inflation estimate might be HIGHER using a chain-weighted rather than a base-year weighted CPI index?

Macro, obviously. Any help is appreciated.

ThaSaltCracka
02-04-2005, 12:26 AM
wrong message board.

TheIrishThug
02-04-2005, 12:30 AM
i'm sure some one that knows the answer is somewhere on 2+2, but i doubt they r spending their time on oot stewie.

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 12:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i'm sure some one that knows the answer is somewhere on 2+2, but i doubt they r spending their time on oot stewie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense.

-2kF

TheIrishThug
02-04-2005, 12:48 AM
u say i'm wrong, but u didn't answer the question posted and neither has anyone else. so until someone does, i stand by my statment.

i was also just giving stewie [censored] cause he's my friend.

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 12:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aside from hedonic adjustment issues, explain one reason why the inflation estimate might be HIGHER using a chain-weighted rather than a base-year weighted CPI index?

Macro, obviously. Any help is appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, a chain-weighted index would lead to a higher rate of inflation if consumer preferences shift to compensate for some unexpected demand. Say the sixth plague of boils reappears and everyone suddenly needs massive amounts of ointment. The price of ointment would naturally rise, and the chain-weighted index takes that ointment price hike extra seriously because it's so highly preferred.

chain-weighted: high preference for ointment x high price of ointment

fixed-weighted: meh preference for ointment x high price of ointment

Of course, this only works for short-run estimates because the boils will subside and MSProctor & Gillette will be cranking out ointment by the vat. Sorry this example sucked so hardcore. Maybe it helps a little.

-2kF

istewart
02-04-2005, 01:00 AM
Dude, thanks a lot. I was leaning toward something along these lines, but this hit it hard.

TheIrishThug
02-04-2005, 01:00 AM
ok, i'll retract my statement now.

but y did u not answer the question in addition to taking offense to my comment?

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
ok, i'll retract my statement now.

but y did u not answer the question in addition to taking offense to my comment?

[/ QUOTE ]

I never took offense to anything. I'm just shootin' the shi[/i]t.

And really, you could still stand by your statement because my answer was so convoluted that it shouldn't count.

-2kF

istewart
02-04-2005, 01:05 AM
Still good, man. You an econ major?

_2000Flushes
02-04-2005, 01:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Still good, man. You an econ major?

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at one point. I think. There were no girls in economics, though.

-2kF