PDA

View Full Version : When should you hit someone?

partygirluk
02-03-2005, 11:37 PM
Inspired by the "Is it always wrong to hit a girl thread".

I think it should only be done in self defence. A few times people have hit me and started pushing me. If I thought the person who hit me was not going to hit me again, I would not retaliate. When people started pushing me, I would just restrain their arms and try to calm down the situation.

I rarely got into these situations, becuase when people were verbally attacking me, I just ignored them, or did as much as possible to de-escelate the situation.

If somebody hit me, and was continuing to do so, I would fight back. If I judged from body language, atmosphere, word exchanged etc. that there was a high probability I would get attacked, I would get the first punch in. If I was in a situation whereby people were picking on me, and I needed to fight back in order to stop getting picked on worse (e.g. a really bad neighbourhood), I would fight back.
But generally, I think 99% of violence could have been stopped if either party had taken preventative action.

If any of you have been in a fight, I would be interested to hear the circumstances.

ThaSaltCracka
02-03-2005, 11:38 PM
I never get in fights.

partygirluk
02-03-2005, 11:41 PM
I am at a party. I start chatting up a girl. Then some guy who turns out to be her BF turns up and starts calling me names. I would call him names in return. If he pushed me, I would step back, put my hands up and tell him that a fight would not be a smart idea for anyone. I would really on my senses to judge if he was going to thump me, in which case I would thump him first.

ddss6_99
02-03-2005, 11:43 PM
Most of the time, if some dude tries to get big with me I just go like this vvvvvvvvvvvvv
http://www.geocities.com/ddss6_99/100061313_5e8a1_f.jpg

nongice626
I dont think you can ever rationalize violence. When you do, its always wrong. But emotion is another thing. It can be good for your body and mind ot throw a punch once in awhile. It has to be done. We are only human, of course.

James Boston
Although I do think some people have attitudes that can only be corrected with a good a$$ kicking, I don't think it's right to do it. My biggest problem with fighting it that it's usually done to settle some issue that people have. However, it never settles the issue. It just settles who can fight better.

eric5148
02-03-2005, 11:44 PM
I don't get into fights unless I have to, or unless someone looks at me funny.

daryn
02-03-2005, 11:48 PM
fight as a last resort. fight only if you feel you will be hurt physically. those are great rules. some guys are way too eager to fight. maybe that wasn't a bad thing years ago, where there were such things as honor and nobody got stabbed/shot. you just took your beating like a man. nowadays their 5 friends jump you or you get stabbed/shot.

partygirluk
02-03-2005, 11:50 PM
I think of myself as extremely intelligent, and capable of rationally arguing my case. IMHO violence normally shows that dialogue and rationality has failed. Thus I don't wnat to instigate it.

Inthacup
02-03-2005, 11:51 PM
I once punched _2000Flushes in the face as hard as I could, but he was really asking for it.

mcb
02-03-2005, 11:59 PM
I will never throw the first punch. I feel that most situations can be resolved in otherway, but if a punch is thrown you are expected to defend yourself. That's just how I was raised.

I would also hit someone if they were hurting a member of my family but that's most likely a given.

tdarko
02-04-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I will never throw the first punch

[/ QUOTE ]
i definately don't support fighting but there are times when you need to throw the first punch.
i.e, a year ago i was at a bar and a guy came up to me and starting poking his finger in my chest telling me how he was gonna kick my ass for spilling his beer (haha i know mature huh?). i am a big guy (6'3 and about 200 lbs) but this guy was enormous and i was about 99% certain he could kick my ass. he cocks back to throw a punch and i just went in with a short quick jab to the nose and then got on top of him. i have had my ass kicked enough times to know that if i didnt throw that punch then i would be regretting it. but you have to know that that punch didnt start the fight. i was brought up to handle my differences in other ways too and i agree with defending your family or wife or gf as well as yourself.
anyone ever notice that whenever you got in a fight with someone when you were younger they always became a friend of yours? maybe it was just me i dunno.

nothumb
02-04-2005, 01:19 AM
Once I punched a girl in the kidney as hard as I could. She was only about 100 lbs, but she wasn't that cute, so it was okay.

Actually, I was too drunk to see straight and was having an alcohol-induced daydream or something. Either way, I was definitely not aware I was about to hit someone. I felt bad so I let her give me an open-handed slap to the face as hard as she could, which was surprisingly hard. Luckily I was loaded. Ahhh, college.

Also, I once got smacked in the face by a friend who is a big flamer and a big masochist. Somebody said, "Dude, you're bleeding, you've got to hit him back!" and he just stood there grinning, so I figured it was his way of asking for it and busted him right in the mouth with a right cross.

Strangely enough, the guy who broke into my house and stabbed me got away more or less unharmed.

NT

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-04-2005, 01:20 AM
WWBLD???

mcb
02-04-2005, 01:27 AM
Nahh you were just quicker. He started the motion to what was going to be a punch. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A kid who I absolutlely pummeled freshman year of high school ended up becoming one of my best friends who I still hang out with today.

BusterStacks
02-04-2005, 01:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never get in fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jezebel
02-04-2005, 01:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When should you hit someone?

[/ QUOTE ]

Anytime someone pulls a major suckout on you and holds their cards up in front of their face and says "Next case" deserves to get hit.

tdarko
02-04-2005, 01:46 AM
or their money taken, either way /images/graemlins/grin.gif

brassnuts
02-04-2005, 02:16 AM
OK. I personally haven't been in a fight since middle school. I don't go out looking to get in fights and people seem not to want to fight me. However, I feel that sometimes people deserve to get the crap beat out of them, even when they aren't physically threatening anyone. I don't feel bad when someone who is running their mouth gets what they deserve. I just don't take it upon myself to be the punisher.

Shajen
02-04-2005, 08:44 AM
When should you hit someone?

I don't know. Mainly because I wouldn't just hit someone.

For example: if my life or the life of a love one were threatened, the beating (or attempted beating) would not stop at 1 hit. Self defense isn't a means to kick someone's ass, it's a means to stop someone from hurting you and those you care about. If that means stomping their head when they are down or breaking an arm or something, so be it. Remember, YOU didn't actually start anything, because that's wrong, right?

Also, I love it when "tough" guys talk about beating someone's ass. STFU and do it tough guy.

It's the guys who say nothing...those are the ones to watch out for.

So, when is it ok? Self defense. Defense of others. But only as a last resort. And if it comes to that, don't play. Disable.

Rick Diesel
02-04-2005, 09:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I never get in fights.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's probably a good idea. I have seen your picture.