PDA

View Full Version : Is professionalism and common courtesy gone?

TheRake
02-03-2005, 06:21 PM
[Begin Rant]

Maybe I am old fashioned, but when I make an appointment with someone I show up and I show up on time. It is really starting to piss me off the way people don't honor their word anymore. Has this become acceptable?

Scenario 1: Guy CALLS ME on my cell phone and explains that he delivered fire wood to me last year and would really like to do business again. After some salesmanship from the guy I agree to buy 1/2 chord from him and the conversation goes as follows...

Wood Guy: When can I deliver?
Me: I get off work at 5 but I am flexible any day after that or on the weekend.
Wood guy: Well I can deliver tomorrow at 6. Is that good?
Me: Yeah that works for me.
Wood guy: Great I'll see you tomorrow

Not only did this guy call me asking for business, but I let him set it up to fit his schedule with the exception that it had to be after 5pm. He never shows up, never calls, nothing. About 2 weeks later I get a call FROM THE SAME GUY like it never happened.

At least I get to tell this guy to go fvck himself.

Scenario 2: I posted earlier today about having new windows put in my house. The guy was supposed to come today and take final measurements for the windows. He gives me a 1 hour time frame between 10am and 11am. At about 11:30 I call and say where are you? He was in a meeting and couldn't make our appointment. WTF!!! Wouldn't a call be common courtesy? I had to leave work to make this appointment and he acts like it is just common practice.

Apparently customers are not important in order to do business anymore.

[/End rant]

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-03-2005, 06:23 PM
I completely agree with you. If you can get out of it, I'd get windows from someone else.

Schneids
02-03-2005, 06:25 PM
At least in my experiences this type of [censored] is very common. I'd say close to 50% of business meetings I've had scheduled never happen when they're supposed to, usually because "a meeting came up," or even better they "forgot" or "their secretary forgot to remind them." Rarely do they call in advance so most of the time we go to the arranged meeting place and twiddle our thumbs.

chabibi
02-03-2005, 06:30 PM
the guy with the firewood is just ridiculous i hope you told him where to stick it

but ive worked construction for 4 years and thats how all contractors are. im not saying its okay but thats just the industy standards

its a shady business so you deal with shady people

eric5148
02-03-2005, 06:31 PM
If they don't keep their word, they lose business, they eventually go out of business. Very simple. Just keep trying different people until you find one that's more professional and stick with them.

BTW, the begin/end rant tags are very gay and annoying. I'm not retarded, I can tell it's a rant by the tone of your words.

TheRake
02-03-2005, 06:33 PM
Yeah the window salesman told me they would call me last Weds. to set up the appointment and I never got a call until Monday. Then he didn't show up for the appointment today.

Problem is I really need these windows installed. The one in my office is literally falling out of the tracks. I have it pinned in there with some books now. It gets pretty cold in there when the wind starts whistling through there.

If I ditch them it will just be that much longer until it is fixed.

**sigh**

TheRake
02-03-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
BTW, the begin/end rant tags are very gay and annoying. I'm not retarded, I can tell it's a rant by the tone of your words.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feel free to ignore them then

stabn
02-03-2005, 07:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be such a nit. They aren't needed but they aren't harmful either.

To the OP:

I hate that [censored] but you just have to deal with it. For me that usually means doing business with someone else if at all possible.

A real problem where i work is people not leaving meeting rooms when their meeting is over. There's a window next to all the meeting rooms and you can definitely tell when others are out there looking in on you. When i see this if i'm in a meeting i usually check my watch and see if we're supposed to be out of the room yet. If we are we take a maximum of about one minute to wrap things up.

Not everyone does this though. I've waited five, or even ten minutes for people to leave the meeting room. Sometimes poking my head in and asking them if they will wrap it up doesn't even work. One of the major problems is that while everyone our building works for the same company there are many different groups working in it. Most of the time i don't know any of these dickheads and they don't know me. There's zero accountability and zero reason (other than common courtesy) for them to end their meetings on time.

The end result is i don't even bother going to meetings until five minutes after they are supposed to start. Of course, if we book the room for a full hour and the meeting takes an hour, and we've all shown up five minutes late, we're now part of the problem....

Meh, maybe i should just skip more meetings.