PDA

View Full Version : AdAware SE

El Barto
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
So I did another AdAware 6.0 scan, but there were no updates. Checking their website, I see now they have a new freeware program AdAware SE.

Anyone use it?

Is it better?

Any problems with it?

Shoe
02-03-2005, 05:49 PM
Microsoft just came out with a new spyware program, it found a few things on my computer that adaware missed. There is a link to it from their homepage, I would suggest using that one, atleast in addition to anything else you use.

StellarWind
02-03-2005, 05:53 PM
I use Ad-Aware SE Personal. It's simple to use, removes many bad things, and hasn't caused me any problems.

Does it find everything it should? I have no idea.

TylerD
02-03-2005, 05:54 PM
Agreed. It seems much better than both Adaware and Spybot + it comes with real time protection.

UncleDuke
02-03-2005, 05:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So I did another AdAware 6.0 scan, but there were no updates. Checking their website, I see now they have a new freeware program AdAware SE.

Anyone use it?

Is it better?

Any problems with it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It seems about the same as version 6.0 to me. No particular problems or differences that I've noticed with my typical use of it. I don't generally do anything particularly fancy with it, just the normal scan.

kdog
02-03-2005, 10:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Agreed. It seems much better than both Adaware and Spybot + it comes with real time protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also agreed. This is the best one I've seen out there so far.

jimymat
02-04-2005, 04:32 AM
Does it include a firewall. If not is there any free versions I could download that have a firewall.

Shoe
02-04-2005, 04:36 AM
No, firewalls are different. A good free one is zone alarm.

wonderwes
02-04-2005, 05:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Microsoft just came out with a new spyware program, it found a few things on my computer that adaware missed. There is a link to it from their homepage, I would suggest using that one, atleast in addition to anything else you use.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are paranoid about spyware as I am, I highly suggest running it. It just has a few more catches than AdAware.
MS Anti-Spyware (http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx)

Moneyline
02-04-2005, 07:23 AM
Anyone else unable to run this software?

theRealMacoy
02-04-2005, 08:05 AM
i have been running ad aware personal.
it has worked great for me.
it catches alot of dataminers from websits.

also, i just installed the microsoft program yesterday.
it seems to running just fine.

cheers,
the Real Macoy

JAque
02-04-2005, 08:12 AM
Try reading these links.

Lots of information about spyware protection (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=inet&Number=1344014&Forum= ,All_Forums,&Words=&Searchpage=1&Limit=25&Main=134 4014&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=4024&daterange =1&newerval=2&newertype=m&olderval=&oldertype=&bod yprev=#Post1344014)

JAque

moondogg
02-04-2005, 09:13 AM
OMFG, a string of posts endorsing a MS product, and not a single condemnation of it? I haven't been outside yet, but I assume the sky is falling.

Broken Glass Can
02-04-2005, 09:41 AM
As long as we are talking microsoft...

I still haven't downloaded that big upgrade they did for windows back in September of last year.

Are all the bugs out?

Safe to do?

I heard some people had problems with the associated fire wall.

TylerD
02-04-2005, 10:00 AM
That's because its not Microsoft's code. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Jamey Saunders
02-04-2005, 10:25 AM
[ QUOTE ]
OMFG, a string of posts endorsing a MS product, and not a single condemnation of it? I haven't been outside yet, but I assume the sky is falling.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's because it's not a Microsoft product -- it's a product that Microsoft bought. They haven't had time to completely &@$&@^$!# it up yet...

David Steele
02-04-2005, 12:04 PM
It seems like the first rule of spyware containment is not to run any program by Microsoft, Explorer or Outlook anyway. Are you sure this new program won't be the next big thing to attack?

D.

richrf
02-04-2005, 12:12 PM
I have an original licensed copy of Giant AS before it was purchased my MS. It was O.K, but still quite porous. It really didn't do much against really nasty malware like rootkits or keyloggers (BTW, all of the online poker sites attempt to install global mouse and keyboard hooks - for what reason I have no idea). Ever since MS bought the product, it has pretty much done nothing. MS made changes that downgraded what protection the product was offering.

My advice, based upon my experiences with lots of different AV's, AT's, and AS's (the list is long) is to get one very good AV like Kaspersky or McAfee, one good system sandbox that protects against unauthorized changes to the system (I use ProcessGuard 3.0, but others use products like Prevx), one good firewall (I use ZoneAlarm Pro), and one good non-MS browser (IE is the primary reason spyware gets introduced to begin with) such as Firefox. I also run Ad-aware now and then to pick up stray cookie dataminers. Without this kind of protection, you just don't know what is really running on your system. There can be lots of keyloggers that MS AS will never detect.

There is always lots of good discussion on this topic on www.wilderssecurity.com (http://www.wilderssecurity.com)

moondogg
02-04-2005, 12:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems like the first rule of spyware containment is not to run any program by Microsoft, Explorer or Outlook anyway. Are you sure this new program won't be the next big thing to attack?

D.

[/ QUOTE ]

The first rule of spyware containment is to not use anything popular. The security of Firefox, Thunderbird, etc, is based more on their obscurity than on their code design. If they become as popular as their MS counterparts, you will see plenty of spyware, virus, trogans, etc. Right now, it's not worth a hackers time.

IMHO.

Terry
02-04-2005, 05:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As someone mentioned, it is not MS code – it is something they bought.

It is free for now, but MS intends to start charging for it, in July, I think I’ve read. Their plan is to provide updates once a month. Ad-Aware and Spybot provide updates not on a schedule, but whenever something new is discovered.

On the subject of trojans, backdoors, keyloggers, etc. : I downloaded some stuff from a file sharing site on February 2. I used my choice of anti-virus software Trend Housecall (http://housecall.trendmicro.com/) (which, sadly, doesn’t work with Firefox – have to use IE). The scan found WORM_SDBOT.APA which was first discovered on January 31. I am glad I didn’t install the software and have to wait a month for an update.

While I’m rolling, just one more thing – Microsoft is pushing / publicizing it’s Secure Computing initiative. What that means is MS is securing their software from pirating by spying on users. It has nothing whatsoever to do with securing your computer.

Feel better now, moondogg?

moondogg
02-04-2005, 05:54 PM
No, because that post actually contained information.

However, the standard asinine "using IE will give you viruses/spyware, but Firefox will prevent it" posts have made their way into this thread. I was just amazed that it took so long.