PDA

View Full Version : The problems of being self-employed

Zoltri
02-03-2005, 05:30 PM
I am getting tired of the long hours, stress and the bullshit of employees so for the past year I have been soliciting my services to other businesses in my field.

Guess what?
Nothing...not a bite.
I dont get it. I have more experience in my pinky than most in my field and no one will look at me. Am I un-trainable or too old and set in my ways for someone to give me a chance?

I wanted choices but I feel I am trapped.
I should not complain, life is good. I justed want to slow down a bit but I think I am destined to do it on my own.

Anyone else self-employed?

Dale
02-03-2005, 05:37 PM
I have been for about five years, but am now looking for a job. So much of self-employment seems to be about self-marketing and networking. It may be more important than expertise in your specialties.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-03-2005, 05:39 PM
What exactly... would you say you do here?

Zoltri
02-03-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What exactly... would you say you do here?

[/ QUOTE ]
I would like to sell my place and get a job as a manager/supervisor in my field. Work 30-40 hours/week and that is it. I make nice money on the side gambling and I have reached a point now that I dont want to work 60-70 hours/week. Life is too short.

TimM
02-03-2005, 05:50 PM
You own a bar, right? My parents sold their restaurant, and stayed on as managers under the new owners for a few years...

jakethebake
02-03-2005, 05:53 PM
Sell the bar and expand your current bookmaking operation.

Zoltri
02-03-2005, 05:54 PM
You know what it is Tim?
This week, I caught another bitch waitress stealing from me and some drunks vandalized the mens washroom. After 25 years, IM SICK OF IT!!!!

TimM
02-03-2005, 06:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You know what it is Tim?
This week, I caught another bitch waitress stealing from me and some drunks vandalized the mens washroom. After 25 years, IM SICK OF IT!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Believe me I know it. Over the years we had dozens of employees stealing, vandalisms, break-ins. We had a whole amusement park, and even had a 3459823457359552 pound pitching machine stolen from the batting range once, don't ask me how. Plus my mom would work open to close seven days a week because she couldn't trust anyone enough not to be there herself.

Selling it was the best thing they ever did. Of course in addition to the down payment, they held notes for 15 years. The new owner ran it out of business in only 7, so they got screwed out of some of the money. But they could have just gone out of business themselves and got nothing, so it's all good.

James Boston
02-03-2005, 06:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
for the past year I have been soliciting my services to other businesses in my field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have gathered from this thread that you own a bar. So, by "soliciting [your] services" do you mean you want to do something along the lines of consulting multiple businesses, or do you want one job where you just don't have the burden of being the owner? Because if it's the former, I wouldn't think that line of business would have a demand for a consultant-type employee, but I really don't know what I'm talking about. If it's the latter I can't imagine why a bar/restaurant wouldn't hire some one with the experience you seem to have

Zoltri
02-03-2005, 07:06 PM
If I stopped showing up my business would be gone in 6 months. I am sure Tim would agree so in essence I have become a prisoner of my own place.