PDA

View Full Version : for the lunatic right fringe -- your favorite writer

ACPlayer
02-03-2005, 12:09 PM
Chomsky on iraq (http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/GB04Ak05.html)

nicky g
02-03-2005, 12:12 PM
Post deleted by nicky g

ACPlayer
02-03-2005, 12:15 PM

chabibi
02-03-2005, 12:36 PM
What makes chomsky so sure that Iraqi shias will embrace the Iranian mullahs rather than the huge democratic students movement in Iran. Democracy in Iraq is much more likely to encourage democracy in Iran, where a huge portion of the population already wants freedom and is sick of Islamic rule

BCPVP
02-03-2005, 02:57 PM
1) I disagree that the Iraqis are going to become a theocracy. It was pointed out that already, the majority of Iranians don't support the current theocracy because of how oppressive it was. Having just had one oppressive government removed, I don't think the Iraqis will willingly crawl under the boot of another oppressive government.

2) I disagree that Iraq will restart its WMD program. They will become far more of an economic power in that region than Israel is. We do need to encourage both Israelis and Arabs to leave each other alone, however, but I don't see the need for them to develop WMDs.

3) I would like all of those who've been chirping about how the U.S. will reinstate the draft. Notice Chomsky says that would be a last resort and points out why. It doesn't work.

ACPlayer
02-03-2005, 10:05 PM
1. Note that the Shia basically followed what their clerics said -- go vote for the Sistani group. The Sunni did the same and stayed at home. Your conclusion is based on hope not history or knowledge of the region.

2. If there is a large Shia crescent Iran, Iraq, Syria, parts of Saudi and the real enemy of that group is still in the region and has nukes, then to achieve MAD capability ....
3. Chomsky is 3 for 3.

lastchance
02-04-2005, 02:54 AM
2. Nuclear proliferation will rise. It's just common nature, and a bit of chaos theory. Over time, some thing or another happens, and technology spreads outward. Can't really stop it. In some future, almost every country in the world will have nukes, and it will be a very scary place to live in.....