PDA

View Full Version : MEMPHIS > New Local Poker Site

memphis_aces
02-03-2005, 11:34 AM
The Memphis Poker Club -- memphispoker.org (http://www.memphispoker.org)

The site was just launched yesterday so it's not really filling up yet but I wanted to give the Memphis locals a heads-up here. The primary purpose of the site is to offer a forum (like this) for people to post details about local home games. There are a ton going on in Memphis and I think there would be a lot more (and more successful) if we could FIND them.

Other forums on the site exist for discussing Tunica Cardrooms and Events, Online Pokerrooms, Local Free Entry Bar Tournaments, etc...

In no way to I expect memphispoker.org to even come close to this site with regards to general poker discussion.... however it will provide a great regional outlet to interact with local players and find games in the area....

I've got a couple thousand Businesss Cards (http://www.gravity-interactive.com/memphispoker_cards.gif) on order to hand out at local bar games and home games.... this should help get the site off the ground....

Any comments/suggestions, please feel free to post them here, there, or email me......

I Posted this in Home Games forum, but cross posted here since I know there are a lot of memphis-area players who post in this forum.....

Thanks and I look forward to seeing a few of you guys over there...

tylerdurden
02-03-2005, 12:31 PM
Sweet. I'm often in Memphis but don't always have time for a side trip to tunica.

memphis_aces
02-03-2005, 01:42 PM
Exactly!

I know of at least 10-12 local games in memphis that are at least semi-regular. I'm in the process of trying to get all of them listed (talking to the hosts).

If you'd like, I could send you some cards to pass around to players out in Arkansas if you feel like there is a good market for this there as well....

pokerswami
02-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Geez, Man. There must be at least some cops who can read.

You should start a forum seeking attorneys who could write a properly worded amendment to the state constitution that would allow legal, business run cardrooms that could rake and/or time charge the game, at their option.

Once you get every possible base covered, such as a provision that a school or religious house of worship moving to within a certain distance of a game would not cause a loss of license, then you could start a petition drive to get it on the ballot to amend the constitution. You should try to cover every base because you know that local governments will try to prevent the rooms in their jurisdictions. There should be no local option, and they must be allowed to serve alcohol and stay open 24/7.

It will take years, but it would be a real public service on your part.

I have spent hundreds of hours in underground, smoke-filled cardrooms in Tennessee, and the rake can be ridiculously high, plus there is always the risk of getting busted.

pokerswami
02-04-2005, 03:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently, some crooks can read. (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Number=1635230&page=3&view=c ollapsed&sb=5&o=186&vc=1)

MicroBob
02-04-2005, 07:26 AM
Interesting.

I didn't know there was such a home-poker scene in Memphis...but I can't say I was ever really that interested.

I might check it out at some point though.

not sure what the chances are of this web-site and continues publicity helping to get some fo the games busted.
But I seem to recall an article I read in NVG or something a few months ago of a private game in Jackson, Tenn getting busted so certainly be careful.

steamboatin
02-04-2005, 07:44 AM
Asking to get busted. Your bar games that give prizes may be all right but anyone posting a home game is asking to get robbed or busted.

Why do you think home games are so hard to find?

memphis_aces
02-28-2005, 05:30 PM
The card games we're looking to cater to are small stakes games with no house rake....therefore they will likely not be a big target for law enforcement. I hardly think the MPD has any desire to go after 10 guys in a $25 buy in tourney in someone's game-room.

Also, we encourage people to NOT list the addresses on the site, but to communicate them via PM and Email. Certainly this won't eliminate the risk, but it will help. I'd imagine if a Weekly 5/10 NL game with $1000 Buyin surfaces the cops will take notice... but I don't see it being a concern until then.

[ QUOTE ]

You should start a forum seeking attorneys who could write a properly worded amendment to the state constitution that would allow legal, business run cardrooms that could rake and/or time charge the game, at their option.

Once you get every possible base covered, such as a provision that a school or religious house of worship moving to within a certain distance of a game would not cause a loss of license, then you could start a petition drive to get it on the ballot to amend the constitution. You should try to cover every base because you know that local governments will try to prevent the rooms in their jurisdictions. There should be no local option, and they must be allowed to serve alcohol and stay open 24/7.

It will take years, but it would be a real public service on your part.

I have spent hundreds of hours in underground, smoke-filled cardrooms in Tennessee, and the rake can be ridiculously high, plus there is always the risk of getting busted.

[/ QUOTE ]

memphis_aces
02-28-2005, 05:33 PM
Just a note to let people know that I've just recieved the cards. They are 4x6 and I have 5000 of them (glossy card stock). I've worked arrangements with Clicks Billiards to have flyers available at all their tourneys..... as well as with the guys at http://www.thepokerlounge.org. Flyers have been distributed at many of the Mulligans games as well.

Again, this isn't catering to the pro...it's catering to the smaller, casual player. The games promise to be relatively soft and of low/mid stakes.

memphis_aces
03-01-2005, 11:30 AM
One last bump for the guys in this forum....

RacersEdge
03-01-2005, 12:31 PM
Sounds interesting. I find it hard to imagine a police chief giving someone an assignment to bust Joe's Thursday night poker game in the suburbs.

Anyway, I'm moving to Memphis in a couple weeks, so I could be interested.

Aces, is that your actual license plate?

pokerswami
03-02-2005, 05:49 PM
I couldn't get

thepokerlounge.org or
thepokerlounge.com

to work for me.

Maybe it's http://thepokerlounge.net/

Yep, that one works.