PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to put your kids through school?

nongice626
02-03-2005, 02:21 AM
My parents dont have much dough, but even if they did I dont think I'd be able to accept it from them. I know alot of people are different, but once my kids turn 18 they are on their own. So many parents want to wrap their kids in plastic bubble and whip their ass until they die. I have a certain aversion to college kids. They dont have much responsibility or experience or anything. Pimpled face brats.

istewart
02-03-2005, 02:23 AM
ahah

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:24 AM
If I have it I'm giving it to them.

Thats about it.

Unless they are total [censored] pieces of [censored] like Zoltri's step son.

I'd like to also add that my mom doesn't not pay for my school at all because she can't afford to, and it doesn't bother me in the least.

nongice626
02-03-2005, 02:28 AM
if they are good kids and they are working a little bit also i guess its not bad. but the thing is that everyone thinks their kid is a good kid. especially mothers. ive nver met one who didnt think her son could "do anything he put his mind towards". god i hate that phrase.

rusty JEDI
02-03-2005, 05:22 AM
I would take a second job if i had to in order to pay for my kid to go to and have a good time at college/university.

rJ

eric5148
02-03-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
but the thing is that everyone thinks their kid is a good kid. especially mothers. ive nver met one who didnt think her son could "do anything he put his mind towards". god i hate that phrase.

[/ QUOTE ]

Apparently , you've never met my mother.

youtalkfunny
02-03-2005, 05:48 AM
If I can afford it, sure. But I'm not going to impoverish myself to do it.

(Note that I didn't go to college, and I've lived to regret that decision.)

billyjex
02-03-2005, 05:53 AM
You sound bitter that you have to work and make alot of money to go to college. Sorry.

My dad has hooked me up pretty good, because he's worked hard all his life and has a pretty good job. I use to work crappy $7 an hour jobs for spending money but now I make ~$25 or so an hour playing poker. And my dad pays my tuition and rent.

So there.

The Dude
02-03-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]

If I can afford it, sure. But I'm not going to impoverish myself to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, my mom (single at the time) put herself $30,000 in credit card debt while putting my two older brothers through school. It almost put her into bankruptcy. I'm all for putting your kids through school, if you can afford it. But making your kid take a year off from school to work - in order to save money for school - is an underused line IMHO.

InchoateHand
02-03-2005, 06:07 AM
If I have the loot, sure. My folks helped me, even though I worked full time.

daveymck
02-03-2005, 06:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My parents dont have much dough, but even if they did I dont think I'd be able to accept it from them. I know alot of people are different, but once my kids turn 18 they are on their own. So many parents want to wrap their kids in plastic bubble and whip their ass until they die. I have a certain aversion to college kids. They dont have much responsibility or experience or anything. Pimpled face brats.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes of course if they want to goto Uni I will help out as much as possible. In the UK as a student is probably going to have roughly 20-30k in debt at the end of University, generally funded via government student loans. But whatever they choose I am going to give them any help or assistance I can.

But as a principal I look after my kids until I die, if I can help them out in any way shape or form then I will a parent doesnt end when your kids are 16, 18 or 28. I hopefully will have given them the skills and independant thought to get through life but dad is always going to be there for them to help assist and yes mabe bail them out when they get in a mess.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 06:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
But making your kid take a year off from school to work - in order to save money for school - is an underused line IMHO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because of how easy it is to get financial aide.

Corey
02-03-2005, 06:50 AM
As one who made it trough school without debt, I plan on doing the same if/when I have kids. Hopefully I'm not in this situation, but I would gladly go into debt before putting that burden on my child.

I understand the wonderful situation I was put in after graduation which allowed me to turn down 4 or 5 job offers before getting the job I really wanted after a couple of months of "professional" poker play. Had I acquired tens of thousands of dollars in debt, I would be like my buddy who took his first job offer and hates it, just like he thought he would.

peachy
02-03-2005, 06:53 AM
I dont wanna "baby" my kids as some people suggested it was...but i feel that it is my obligation since they r MY kids to provide for them in the best ways possible...and to me this includes through college - espeically in our day and age when a college education has become much less of not an option. I wont have children til i can fully financially support them until college graduation

CCass
02-03-2005, 11:16 AM
In my home state (TN), children of public school teachers get a 25% discount at all State Universities. Additionally, TN has a scholarship (paid for by the lottery) for all kids that have decent grades and decent ACT/SAT scores. So, my children will have 60%-70% of their education paid, as long as they go to a State school.

So, I feel responsible for the remainder. But I don't feel responsible for their "party" money. That is what part-time jobs are for. Also, if they want to go to GA-Tech or Duke or some other "big name" school, then they better figure out how to pay for the additional cost over and above a TN State school.