PDA

View Full Version : Ramen Noodles

istewart
02-03-2005, 01:35 AM
I think they're crap, and are only possibly edible when you have nothing in your dorm and it's late. What about you?

vulturesrow
02-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Chicken flavor is best. The gauntlet has been thrown.

Russ McGinley
02-03-2005, 01:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chicken flavor is best. The gauntlet has been thrown.

[/ QUOTE ]

This statement ends this debate. Nobody can say that a dinner that costs 15 cents is a bad thing.

bholdr
02-03-2005, 01:41 AM
Chicken?! only a total trog conservitive would say that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

it's shrimp for me, with an egg drop.

but it depends if you're a cook-drain-season person or a season-cook-drain person. i'm the former. it's also good broken up, toasted, and sprinkled with the seasoning. don't believe me? try it!

nongice626
02-03-2005, 01:43 AM
go to a good jap resteraunt. youll change your mind.

vulturesrow
02-03-2005, 01:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Chicken?! only a total trog conservitive would say that! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

but it depends if you're a cook-drain-season person or a season-cook-drain person. i'm the former. it's also good broken up, toasted, and sprinkled with the seasoning. don't believe me? try it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn ethnics! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do agree with you heartily on method of preparation. You lose too much sodium by seasoning and then draining.

sfer
02-03-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
go to a good jap resteraunt. youll change your mind.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you meant to say, "The nips make good noodles."

IggyWH
02-03-2005, 01:50 AM
Beef rocks my world but the chicken is a close second.

bholdr
02-03-2005, 01:51 AM
It's a delicate art, leaving the noodles wet enough to accept the seasoning, without letting them get soggy, and stirring them fast enough to even it out. there's nothing worse in the ramen world than getting one bite that's all seasoning, and having the rest of your lunch/dinner/ back-from-the-bars snack taste bland.

reminds me of a sticker i saw once: 'Top Ramen, Breakfast, lunch, and dinner of champions.'

but i'm a Maruchan Ramen man, i'll leave the Top Ramen to the college kids. ever try 'Smack' brand ramen? terrible! it's worth, maybe, 7c a pack (and i have seen it that cheep)

IggyWH
02-03-2005, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Damn ethnics! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

I do agree with you heartily on method of preparation. You lose too much sodium by seasoning and then draining.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's what you do...

You season the water BUT you don't drain. I know, you're saying to yourself BROTH BLOWS but when you're a pro like me, you can add the just correct amount of water to where the noodles get soft but all the water is gone.

Also, ramen kicks ass if you add a little butter to it after it's done. I usually though some garlic power, onion powder and season salt into the water also.

Nick B.
02-03-2005, 01:52 AM
The real question is cup or package. I liked the ones in the cup, they are easier to make.

IggyWH
02-03-2005, 01:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The real question is cup or package. I liked the ones in the cup, they are easier to make.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you boil water and then add it to the cup or do you add water and microwave the whole thing?

astroglide
02-03-2005, 01:54 AM
i went through a spell of eating the cup ones at work for a while. it rules if you've got an instant hot water device. i can't wait until my kitchen gets finished so i can use mine to make tea or whatever.

bholdr
02-03-2005, 01:55 AM
...but the stuff in the cup is like 10x as expensive! if I'm paying a dollar for a quick meal, I'll just get a can of real soup.

Nick B.
02-03-2005, 01:56 AM
When I was in college, I would boil water in the microwave then add it to the cup. I ate it for lunch 29 days in a row, then on the 30th day, I made it, took a whiff of it and couldn't eat it.

Nick B.
02-03-2005, 01:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...but the stuff in the cup is like 10x as expensive! if I'm paying a dollar for a quick meal, I'll just get a can of real soup.

[/ QUOTE ]

they are like 4/$1

bholdr
02-03-2005, 01:58 AM
ok, ok, 4x as much. edit: where do you get 'em for a quarter? tell me now! i must know!!

IggyWH
02-03-2005, 01:58 AM
I am a "microwave the whole damn thing" kind of guy. The only thing that sucked about it is you'd have to let it sit for a couple minutes after or the noodles would still be crunchie. When you're hungry though, you don't want to wait. I think a microwave going off is just a more modern version of Pavlov's Dog.

nongice626
02-03-2005, 02:01 AM
so you know, its very dangerous to boil water int he microwave. its borderline idiotic.

IggyWH
02-03-2005, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
so you know, its very dangerous to boil water int he microwave. its borderline idiotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's only bad if you put something into the water right away. It CAN create a volatile reaction with the water splashing up. I'm not adding anything to the water though and with the noodles in the cup, I'm not sure it would even create that reaction.

mmbt0ne
02-03-2005, 02:04 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

Only if you have a cup that's extremely smooth. Plastic cups are not this. If you have a ceramic cup, and are really worried about this, just put a little knick in it. I prefer Marbury.

Nick B.
02-03-2005, 02:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it isn't. Old Wives tale. web page (http://www.888webtoday.com/microwv.html)

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-03-2005, 02:08 AM
after 14 months of living on ramen, pasta and bread i cant eat the [censored] anymore.

astroglide
02-03-2005, 02:12 AM
i've boiled shitloads of water in the microwave for tea/hot chocolate/cup-a-soup/etc with nary a problem

http://www.snopes.com/science/microwav.htm

nongice626
02-03-2005, 02:30 AM
okay. i stand corrected.

bholdr
02-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Dirtiest link ever. thanks a lot.

ClassicBob
02-03-2005, 02:34 AM
Top Ramen - Creamy Chicken

Throw some grated cheese in. Put chicken in if you have any readily available. The nuts.

GuyOnTilt
02-03-2005, 02:46 AM
I really like ramen. There's a particular brand at the Asian foods market that just kicks ass. I think I'm the only person I've ever met who uses a coffee maker to make ramen...

GoT

Nottom
02-03-2005, 03:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as there is something in the water you should be fine. By something, the impurities in most water will do 95% of the time. You also usually won't run into problems unless you are putting something like a snapple bottle in the microwave that has a small opening, if you use a bowl again you should be fine.

If you are still worried about your water "exploding" all over you, you can simply put a chopstick or similar utensil (non-metal of course)in the water and that will make sure it boils properly as it will give the bubbles a place to form.

nothumb
02-03-2005, 03:46 AM
When I was in college I was in a rap group and our hit single was called "Ramen and Stealin'..."

Meh.

NT

private joker
02-03-2005, 04:08 AM
Top 3 flavors:

1) Cajun shrimp
2) Chili lime chicken
3) Oriental

http://www.unusualphobias.com/ramen.jpg

Stever
02-03-2005, 04:20 AM
Love the Ramen Noodles.

Add hot sauce. essential

Stever /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
www.TheManWithTheAxe.com (http://www.TheManWithTheAxe.com)

Jack of Arcades
02-03-2005, 06:16 AM
"Mama"?

Beef #1 Chicken #2 everything else horrid.

bugstud
02-03-2005, 06:50 AM
has no one had the roast chicken? All discussion starts after this flavor.

thatpfunk
02-03-2005, 08:28 AM
They are amazing.

BUT... you must add some sort of hot sauce (Tapatillo or Tabasco if you're desperate) and an egg. Crack an egg in while it's boiling and you have a real meal!

Then that [censored] is great.

elwoodblues
02-03-2005, 10:29 AM
Fried rice - Ramen style

Crunch up noodles and cook/drain
Scramble egg --- add seasoning and noodles.

Perfection coming in at around $.15

WDC
02-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I couldn't eat them now but when I was in college they were 10 for a buck in a generic brand and I ate them atleast once a day. I have even eaten them dry right out of the bag.

NoPeak
02-03-2005, 11:25 AM
I ate enough while in college to last me for eternity. I have no desire to eat any more.

WC64
02-03-2005, 11:56 AM
I love them and probably still eat them about once a week lol

DeezNuts
02-03-2005, 02:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly non-Asians. The best flavor is Sapparo Ichiban Original flavor. For spicy ramen, Shin Ramen is the best, but the ones called "Nong Shim" in a styrofoam bowl are great and instant. You can usually only find these at korean markets(like $10 for a box of 30) or at random markets. I still eat one ramen every weekend when I am trying to un-hangover myself.

DN

offTopic
02-03-2005, 02:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Silly non-Asians.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the correct term is "roundeyes".

lucas9000
02-03-2005, 02:52 PM
"oriental" or "beef" flavor...add seasoning with very little water after they're cooked for maximum oomph.

mhig.

J5983
02-03-2005, 03:47 PM
I was wondering if someone was going to mention Sapporo Ichiban. That's the only acceptable flavor.

mmbt0ne
02-03-2005, 04:25 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
but it depends if you're a cook-drain-season person or a season-cook-drain person.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have been a season-cook-drain person my whole life, but jsut tried the cook-drain-season method, and I've seen the light.

I wanted to try the hot sauce too, but we don't have any, so I used Tony Chachere's cajun seasoning and WOW was it good.