PDA

View Full Version : Disc Golf

bholdr
02-03-2005, 01:14 AM
anybody else play? Just curious; it's a great game/sport.

for those that don't know, it's just like 'ball golf' 'cept you throw little frisbees instead, trying to put them in a basket instead of a hole. it's generally free, played on public courses. the discs are about 8" in diameter, and weigh between 150 and 200 grams. a good thrower can get a driver to fly between 500 and 600 ft. holes are generally between 300ft (par 3) and 900ft (4 r 5)

here's a link (http://www.pdga.com) if you're interested.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:22 AM
Here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1194781&page=&view=&sb=5& o=&vc=1) is my thread about it.

I play 4-5x a week, and we usually do our 9 hole course twice.

I usually shoot about -1 to +1 per 9 holes (I just got a new disc which is freaking epic though), and me and my friends are having our quarterly frisbee golf pairs "best disc" tourney this weekend. Which is basically 30ish people drinking and getting stoned on the golf course while we rock out to 80's music (a la caddyshack).

bholdr
02-03-2005, 02:32 AM
I used to play that much, when i lived within walking distance of my course, now it's about once a week when the weather's good. there's great random doubles scramble tourneys every teus where i learned how to play. ever play glow? that's REALLY a bunch of drinking stoners in the park!

here's my bag:

drivers-
Firebird
Eagle
XL
Cyclone
Beast (floppy 161- it deserves its name- gotta stay ON that one or it's accross the street)

mid-
MRV
Roc

...and a half-dozen 171 aviars.

it's really tough to compare skill levels without actually playing together. I did shoot a +5 over 27 holes at De La Viega (greatest course ever- santa cruz), though, which is a pretty good score there, IMO. my home course is pretty weak, though, i avarage about -7 for 18, but the avarage length of the holes is prob 250ft, so that isn't impressive at all.

housenuts
02-03-2005, 02:33 AM
i bought 2 discs (driver and putter) a couple years ago. played about 20 rounds before i lost both my discs, and never bought any again.

bholdr
02-03-2005, 02:34 AM
I lose about 1 every four rounds. still cheap, compared to ball golf.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:40 AM
Well. You're a bazillion times better than me....

You could easily shoot like 4 under on our course every time. Holes are around 150-200 on every hole. Some get freaking tricky though.

Anyways, here are my discs

Teebird
Aviar (I hate putters, only use them on like a 50 foot or less shot where i have to hit it straight)
Stingray

The disc I want to get is a championship Valkyrie.

Hey could you reccomend a good disc for tamahawk (?) throws? Most of the holes at our course are perfect for this throw.

mike l.
02-03-2005, 03:05 AM
they have a course in la mirada off the 5 close to commerce and it's a GREAT sport i really enjoy it only done it a few times though.

eric5148
02-03-2005, 03:12 AM
Meh. I'll stick to ball (real) golf.

Ionphore
02-03-2005, 03:13 AM
If you are going to throw a thumber/tomahawk/hammer (whatever you prefer to call it) I would recomend using something fairly stable. Such as a 170g banshee. Using a stable disk will even out your flight patterns well until you are proficient at throwing it. Then you could move onto something less stable like an eagle/beast. Generally you want something with a flat dome and above 165g as tomahawks are often used for windy areas or to get over tall obstacles.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 04:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are going to throw a thumber/tomahawk/hammer (whatever you prefer to call it) I would recomend using something fairly stable. Such as a 170g banshee. Using a stable disk will even out your flight patterns well until you are proficient at throwing it. Then you could move onto something less stable like an eagle/beast. Generally you want something with a flat dome and above 165g as tomahawks are often used for windy areas or to get over tall obstacles.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you for your advice.

brassnuts
02-03-2005, 04:32 AM
That course inside IV sucks man. You ever play the one out near Ellwood? If you have, I once got a hole in one on that completely blind dogleg right. I thin its like hole 14 or something, not sure.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 04:53 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That course inside IV sucks man. You ever play the one out near Ellwood? If you have, I once got a hole in one on that completely blind dogleg right. I thin its like hole 14 or something, not sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I think I know the one you're talking about. You either have an easy bird or you throw it into the amazon jungle.

The IV course sucks but if you play using the "championship tees" (we use our own tee boxes) it can get pretty tricky.

The Ellwood course is where our ^ disc golf tourney is.

Shilly
02-03-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
getting stoned

[/ QUOTE ]

Prerequisite to playing disc golf.

bernie
02-03-2005, 08:00 AM
In highschool, I played every day at a park nearby. We made an 18 hole course and stuff. It was killer. Cheap and good exercise. I think I used to play 3+ rounds a day back then.

However, the effects of not warming up beforehand have taken their toll as I now have a nice big knot in my shoulder that acts up.

b

jakethebake
02-03-2005, 02:08 PM
How come only the geeks that play this game (not sport) refer to it as "disc" golf. Everyone else knows that thing is just a damn frisbee. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

namknils
02-03-2005, 02:12 PM
Where do you geeks get your "disks"? Are there special frisbies available at sportmart or something?

I have a course near my house, and have always wanted to go try it with some friends.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where do you geeks get your "disks"? Are there special frisbies available at sportmart or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

They've got about 15-25 different discs at sportmart.

That is where I've gotten mine.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How come only the geeks that play this game (not sport)

[/ QUOTE ]
5 entries found for sport.
sport ( P ) Pronunciation Key (spôrt, sprt)
n.

Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
A particular form of this activity.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

[ QUOTE ]
refer to it as "disc" golf. Everyone else knows that thing is just a damn frisbee. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Most of the time I call it frolf. I don't really care either way. And yes, it is just a damn frisbee.

jakethebake
02-03-2005, 02:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How come only the geeks that play this game (not sport)

[/ QUOTE ]
5 entries found for sport.
Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.
A particular form of this activity.
An activity involving physical exertion and skill that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often undertaken competitively.
An active pastime; recreation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Notice the use of the term "A" and "An"...not the term "Any".

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, which still means frisbee golf is a sport.

Get over yourself.

jakethebake
02-03-2005, 02:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get over yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it doesn't. Under that definition, many things could be sports that aren't. Hence the use of the terms "a" and "an" not "any" as "any" would imply that they were.

jar
02-03-2005, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How come only the geeks that play this game (not sport) refer to it as "disc" golf. Everyone else knows that thing is just a damn frisbee. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Because once you play regularly, you find out that the only discs that can be legally called "frisbee" are made by WHAM-O, and those are crap.

I only occaisionally play golf, but I play a lot of Ultimate.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Get over yourself.

[/ QUOTE ]
No it doesn't. Under that definition, many things could be sports that aren't. Hence the use of the terms "a" and "an" not "any" as "any" would imply that they were.

[/ QUOTE ]

That does not change the fact that you're still wrong, and frisbee golf is a sport.

Btw do you consider golf a sport?

jakethebake
02-03-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That does not change the fact that you're still wrong, and frisbee golf is a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that most people that play it do not have an iota of athleticism in their bodies, and the fact that they often consider being stoned a prerequisite, precludes it from being a sport.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly but not definitely.

Sponger15SB
02-03-2005, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact that most people that play it do not have an iota of athleticism in their bodies,

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't need to be a world class athlete to do any sport.

[ QUOTE ]
and the fact that they often consider being stoned a prerequisite, precludes it from being a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]

ah so most NBA athletes don't play a sport?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Possibly but not definitely.

[/ QUOTE ]

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

jakethebake
02-03-2005, 02:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and the fact that they often consider being stoned a prerequisite, precludes it from being a sport.

[/ QUOTE ]
ah so most NBA athletes don't play a sport?

[/ QUOTE ]

Very nice!!!

But you're still wrong. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sponger15SB
02-06-2005, 04:47 PM
So I bought a new Valkyrie on friday, played 9 holes with it, then we did the tourney and I promptly lost it on the 13th hole!!

bye bye $20

MelchyBeau
02-06-2005, 05:08 PM
any courses in the San Diego area? I'd like to play some time.

Melch

mmbt0ne
02-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but how do you lose a disc? Are the courses tree-lined like a real golf course?

MelchyBeau
02-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Yes, and there can also be water. These discs don't float.

Melch

mmbt0ne
02-06-2005, 05:17 PM
Ah, thank you very much.

bholdr
02-06-2005, 05:47 PM
it's not 'frisbee golf' in the same way that halo's not a 'nintendo game'- 'frisbee is a registered trademark of teh wham-o corperation, and all of their discs blow, except the '86 softie, which hasn't been made for years.

...and if you think it's not a sport, try throwing a disc 400ft a few times in a row.

bholdr
02-06-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I only occaisionally play golf, but I play a lot of Ultimate.

[/ QUOTE ]

pussy. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

bholdr
02-06-2005, 06:01 PM
for cheap discs: discndat (www.discndatonline.com)

for information on where to play: PDGA course list (http://www.pdga.com/course/index.php)

strategy and technique: discgolf.com (http://www.discgolf.com/)

A good disc manufacturer: Innova (http://www.innovadiscs.com/)

A better one: discraft (http://www.discraft.com/)

I would heartily encourage anyone who's intrested to give this fun (and mostly free) sport a shot.

Sponger15SB
02-06-2005, 06:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
any courses in the San Diego area? I'd like to play some time.

[/ QUOTE ]

only one of the best disc golf courses ever.

search for "morley field" online.

daryn
02-06-2005, 06:11 PM
saying "a" and "an" is the same as saying "any".

jokerthief
02-06-2005, 10:25 PM
Does anyone know where any courses are in the Colorado Springs area or Denver? I try to play 2-3 times a week here in Wisconsin but I will be in CO again by spring and don't remember hearing of any when I lived in Denver. Since I consider 50 degrees to be short sleeve weather, the Springs will be disc golf heaven for me.

bholdr
02-06-2005, 10:48 PM
see my "here's all the links you need..." post- pdga search will show you.

AngryCola
02-20-2005, 01:26 AM
I used to play disc golf with my dad, but I sucked bad and threw like a girl.

jakethebake
02-20-2005, 02:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
saying "a" and "an" is the same as saying "any".

[/ QUOTE ]

no it's not.

jakethebake
02-20-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
it's not 'frisbee golf' in the same way that halo's not a 'nintendo game'- 'frisbee is a registered trademark of teh wham-o corperation, and all of their discs blow, except the '86 softie, which hasn't been made for years.

[/ QUOTE ]
And a Xerox machine isn't a Xerox machine...whatever.

[ QUOTE ]
...and if you think it's not a sport, try throwing a disc 400ft a few times in a row.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is almost too pathetic a statement to be funny but ot quite.

Sponger15SB
02-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Not that you don't do it in most threads, but you really are making yourself look stupid in this one.

jakethebake
02-20-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not that you don't do it in most threads, but you really are making yourself look stupid in this one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yea? Says you. Regardless, I stand by my assessment of frisbee golf. Not a sport. It's a silly pastime mostly played by potheads. Not that I have a problem with either silly pastimes or potheads. I'm actually mostly fond of both. Oh yea, and from the pics I've seen of you, it explains why you might agree with bholdr and get tired throwing a frisbee.