PDA

View Full Version : First hand of SNG...

SGS
02-03-2005, 01:05 AM
I haven't really been doin that well in these SNG's so I figure I'll post hands that I am unsure of. I am in a 50+5 party SNG. This is the very first hand and I am in the small blind. 4 players limp in and I complete for 5, the BB checks. I have J,9o.

FLOP- 9,6,5 (two clubs)

I bet out 80 and there is one LP caller.

Turn 10c

At this point I decide I am probably done puttin money in this hand. I check and he checks behind.

River- 9 (not a club, final board 9,6,5,10,9)

I check and call a bet of 150. I really was unsure of calling this river, though I dont think I can fold trips once the turn is checked thru. All comments appreciated, thanks in advance.

SGS

SpeakEasy
02-03-2005, 01:56 AM
Hand is OK until weak play on the river. Pot is 220. Without more information about the Villain, his check on the turn is equally indicative of fearing the flush as it is a made flush. If you will call 150, why not take the lead and bet 150 on the river? Betting is always better than calling because you can win the pot two ways by betting, only one way by calling. If Villain raises, evaluate your response based on the raise.

SGS
02-03-2005, 02:01 AM
What hands is he gonna call with that I can beat? The only possible thing is a 10 or a nine with a weaker kicker and both of those seem unlikely, at least to me.

SGS

illab
02-03-2005, 02:39 AM
I agree with the check-call. If you led the betting on the river, you would get raised if the other guy had the flush or full house at which point you'd probably fold. If the other guy didn't have you beat he'd probably just fold. So by leading out and betting you'd either lose at least as much money as you did anyway if the guys had the better hand or lose out on an extra 150 if the other guy had a worse hand.

iMsoLucky0
02-03-2005, 03:18 AM
Personally, I fold for 5 more chips from the SB with J9o, but the merits of this can (and have been) heavily debated.

My style is to not play any non-premium hands until level 4, but that's just me.

Apathy
02-03-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Personally, I fold for 5 more chips from the SB with J9o, but the merits of this can (and have been) heavily debated.

My style is to not play any non-premium hands until level 4, but that's just me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Somewhat along these lines I check-fold the flop, turn and check-call the river when you improve.

I think you played the hand fine but i wouldve checked the flop.

Betting the river is REALLY BAD and should not be done, but you def. should call, theres a lot you beat.

rachelwxm
02-03-2005, 11:34 AM
against 5 player, I'll check and call a small bet on flop hope someone stab. If there is a bet and call, I fold.

ColdestCall
02-03-2005, 03:17 PM
Hands like this are the reason I fold the J-9o in the SB to begin with (plus, if anyone is paying attention, they might think, wow, this guy is so supertight he wont get involved from the SB without a real good hand, which will help my steals from SB later. But I digress....)

You are beat on the river here way too often to make the call profitable, yet you feel compelled to call because, hey, you got trips. I too feel that compulsion, leaving me susceptible to burning up chips on crappy hands like J-9o. Chips that I will need later. When the flop comes 9 high and you have top pair medium kicker you feel compelled to bet into 5 people. Another way to burn chips. Fold preflop. Check/fold the flop. Check/Fold the Turn. Check/Fold the river. This hand sucks. Dont get involved with it, it will only break your heart.

OK, someone is thinking I'm really weak/tight. That's fine.
If you have to see the flop for $5, I understand. Sometimes, when I'm playing badly (or running real, real good), I do too. Just promise yourself you are not going to invest any more money unless you flop a monster (top pair med kicker does not qualify), or a big draw you can make for next to nothing.