PDA

View Full Version : Where to go on a road trip?

college_boy
02-03-2005, 01:00 AM
Two friends and I want to go on a road trip on our spring breaks on March 11-20 or so. Two of us aren't worried about the money and one can only spend 300, 400 max. Our original idea was to go to the Bahamas or somewhere in mexico but they are out of our price range at this point. Anybody have any idea for destinations, or at least somewhere I can find some deals? Anyone been on a road trip on a limited budget?

InchoateHand
02-03-2005, 01:05 AM
Road trips are stupid on limited budgets, because you can't do anything you want and when your crappy car breaks, you are [censored]. Plus, why would I want to spend ungodly hours crammed in the same small enclosure with other people who don't have money?

Make yourself some rich friends, and let them pay your way.

Here's an idea, study and put all that money your parents are wasting on an education to some good use.

Tron
02-03-2005, 01:37 AM
I don't know about you or your friends, but I'm always down for epic snowboarding road trips. You could think about going to Whistler, SLC, or CO... Even if you guys don't ski/snowboard, ski towns are pretty busy during the night, and are bound to be filled with snow bunnies that want to warm up in the hot tub.

college_boy
02-03-2005, 01:48 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about you or your friends, but I'm always down for epic snowboarding road trips. You could think about going to Whistler, SLC, or CO... Even if you guys don't ski/snowboard, ski towns are pretty busy during the night, and are bound to be filled with snow bunnies that want to warm up in the hot tub.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds ok but going somewhere with a lot of sun sounds good right now. I live in Mn.

Fratony
02-03-2005, 03:08 AM
MN, rough...its gonna cost you $200 just to get somewhere warm. Anyways, if you wanna take a good road trip all you need is a lot of alcohol and a bunch of retard friends. Go find some business majors, some hot chicks, drive somewhere, and maybe you'll get laid...sounds economical to me.

nothumb
02-03-2005, 03:11 AM
It seems obvious to me that the answer starts with a "V" and ends with an "EGAS."

You can just win money to pay your way back.

NT

daveymck
02-03-2005, 06:32 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It seems obvious to me that the answer starts with a "V" and ends with an "EGAS."

You can just win money to pay your way back.

NT

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say West Coast similar to what I did when over there, LA then down Arizona down to Tombstone etc, a bit time in San Dieago then across to Vegas vis Hoover Dam plus trip to Grand Canyon etc. Obviously you could go up to San Fransico from La (or make it the starting point) but I was there when the snow hit the north so didnt bother.

This was years ago but at the Service stations they did books with coupons for cheap nights at hotels, I was staying in some for $18-30 a night rooms that had room for 3-4 of you (there would be bed sharing issues) but even two rooms at that price isnt too bad, motels were generally of decent quality and the only time I had to pay more was when I got to Vegas and there was some huge conferance on and everywhere was fully booked up.

All this assumes you are not from the west coast and want to do a bit touristy stuff as well as a bit partying.

MicroBob
02-03-2005, 06:42 AM
I went to college near Cincinnati.

Obviously Florida is fairly popular for spring-break. Panama City (in the pan-handle) really is jumpin' during this time.

I'm not a Florida-type guy though.

In college...and post-college...I have made SEVERAL road-trips to New Orleans and it remains my favorite city.

If you're trying to get as far south as possible this is probably as close as any other southern destination for you.
No beaches there....but you might get nice weather...
and if you don't you probably won't care because you'll be partying too hard and drinking hurricanes and getting drunk and hitting on some girls from Va. Tech or South Carolina or Houston or something.

FWIW - there's more to New Orleans than just the French Quarter and Bourbon street...but you're in college so this is where you're going to be if you go to New Orleans. You don't need to care about the other stuff.

It's not as well known as a spring-break destination...but I suspect there will be PLENTY of spring-breakers there even though your trip doesn't coincide with mardi gras this year.
Mardi Gras is next Tuesday by the way...
The heavy partying pretty much starts NOW and keeps increasing on Friday, Saturday and Sunday...obviously peaking on Tuesday.
At 12:30am Wednesday morning it abruptly is stopping...the police come around and tell everyone to get lost...Party's over!!

ddollevoet
02-03-2005, 10:37 AM
I went to college at UW - Madison.

We drove to Chicago for a weekend. Saw the Sears Tower, the aquarium, the mueseum, Hard Rock, Ed Debivick's, and many,many bars.

Chicago won't be that unreasonable of a drive from MN. It's cheaper too.

codewarrior
02-03-2005, 10:57 AM
All these people are complete tools. A true road trip? You get in the car and start driving with no destination in mind, and see what you can see! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif