PDA

View Full Version : Which one... and why?

10-03-2001, 01:36 AM
Which pocket would you rather have?

AKns

22ns

Why? Would it make a difference depending on number of players playing?

thanks for any response.

10-03-2001, 02:37 AM
The number of players make a huge difference in this case. Heads up 2-2 has a slight advantage over A-Ko. When you play 2-2 with more players you almost have to flop a set or you're toast. However when you do flop it you've got a monster. In a game with 5 or 6 callers before the and you hit your trips on most likely everyone has over cards, top pair, or a draw at most. You are going to make everyone who is betting there top pair high kicker, their two pair, or their draw pay. Provided that no one hits their straight or flush draw this is where your 2-2 makes you some money. A-Ko is a great hand either way, however its most powerful short handed. This is what makes A-K a raising hand, the more people you get out the better chance you have. You don't want anyone catching something. However A-K is also a hand that usually needs help. In a game with 5-6 callers and you don't hit an ace or a king on the flop you can be sure you're probably dead. When you do hit you cab probably tell by the pre-flop betting and looking at the possible draws on the board wheather you have the have the best hand or not.

So I suppose my short answer would be this:

2-2

In a game with a lot of pre flop callers

A-Ko

In a short handed game, however I'll still take A-K anyday in a game with a lot of callers.

-Mike

10-03-2001, 06:06 PM
Do I have to bet after the flop?

That is the main factor, IMO. If I am playing NL and can get all-in against one person, I would often take the 22 if my opponent is loose. If we are playing limit hold 'em and I have to bet after the flop I like the AK better because with 22 I am going to be facing all overcards the times I don't flop a set. Its hard to tell if anyone else has a pair in these situations. If I think no one does and they do, I am about a 22:1 dog to catch up so I made a big mistake and will rarely get bailed out. If I have AK and the flop is all low cards I have an 8.5:1 chance to hit one of my overcards, so if I call and need to hit a pair to win I can catch up more easily.

Certainly with more players these considerations are amplified. With 22 I will hit a set or get out in almost all multiway situations so I guess its easier in that regard. On the other hand AK can hit different types of flops (K high, A high, Broadway draw) so it is more dynamic and will give you multiple ways to win.

Simple answer: When I am playing shorthanded NL, I like to see 22. In every other situation, I'll take AK.

KJS

KJS