PDA

View Full Version : The truth about Paradise

07-02-2002, 06:13 AM
The truth is it isn’t rigged. But that doesn’t mean you should play there.

I am under no illusions about my ability or lack of it. I’m an average poker player who walked away from Paradise $700 in deficit. Why? Because I couldn’t beat the games there.

Once you go over the $2-$4 limits the games are tough. If you thrive against tight aggressives or are an above average player I’m sure you’ll do well there (if you can beat the rake). Me I do well against players who are worse than me.

I like loose tables with lots of action – those are the games I do well in. In April I found a site that suits me and where – I believe – I am better than many of the other players. Result? Large profits.

I haven’t seen AA or KK any more than I did at Paradise and believe it or not I’m getting sucked out on more than I ever did at Paradise. I’ve seen players make quads and straight flushes much more than on Paradise, but I’m still making money because I have an edge over many of the players which I just didn’t have at Paradise.

Moral of the story? Just cos you can’t beat Paradise doesn’t mean it’s fixed. Take a long hard look at yourselves. Are you as good as you think? Do yourselves a favour – tear up your conspiracy theories and find a better game somewhere else.

Thanks for listening

07-02-2002, 09:39 AM
I like this post and agree with the theory..My question is why are paradise game tougher than others? They have the largest pool of opponents, therefore, I would think they would have a full range of good and bad players. What keeps "better" players going to paradise? Is it that there is always a game? Just curious.

-J

07-02-2002, 10:53 AM
The truth? I don't know. I guess the fact that there's always a wide selection of games to choose from has a lot to do with Paradise's popularity. Also they have excellent software and great customer service...but, but, but there are several other sites where the $5-10 and $10-20 games play like the $1-$2 games at Paradise. I'm willing to put up with ugly software and fewer games when the games are that much softer. It should be clear to all players whatever their level that having the choice between one good game and 20 bad games is no choice at all(to me it's the most important factor in choosing where to play)

My record

Paradise: 13 months played -$700

Other site: 2 months played +$3,500

I average around 30+ hours a week. While it's too early to say if my improved results mean anything, I have a feeling I'll keep right on winning in the long term as long as the games stay soft.

Incidentally I've also cashed out from several other sites in profit. Again I attribute this to the fact that the games elsewhere are softer than the grinding grounds of Paradise.

Thanks for listening

07-02-2002, 12:12 PM
When Paradise first opened their PL and NL games it was the juiciest site on the net. I made over $2800 the first month they had them. But, guess what, the games that were cash machines for me have become much tougher (PL Omaha mostly). They can still be beat but I now find it more profitable to play my old standby game-5/10 holdem at _________________. Not a chance I share that with you. I still play at Paradise (when I come out of retirement in a couple of weeks. It has just gotten tougher.

07-02-2002, 12:44 PM
The games at Paradise certainly have gotten tougher in the three years I've played there. I believe it has a lot to do with the increasing difficulty in recruiting new players thanks to the tightened money moving rules and bank policies against gaming transactions.

07-02-2002, 01:09 PM
Atlast!

Please tell me whats that 'other site'?

07-02-2002, 03:43 PM
That'd be telling

07-02-2002, 04:11 PM
Great point, a casual player is going to try and buy-in with VISA/Mastercard, etc... get declined by them all, and give up. Probably the casual player would give up after trying 2 cards.

I can't wait till some sort of regulation happens, and a US poker site is allowed to come online!

- Tony