PDA

View Full Version : big time slump in 200+15's on party

HokieHustler
02-02-2005, 09:13 PM
when the steps started up on party i figured it would loosen up the 200 SNG's meaning easier games or more money. Well it seems to have loosened them up but I can't win for the life of me now. I had played them pretty regularly for a year or so and had always been pretty successful, with normal fluctuations in wins/losses. However now it seems like no matter what I do I just can't profit. Also talking to a few other regulars they seem to be going through the same thing. Anyone else experiencing this? Have the "fish" that entered the 215s cracked a previously successful SNG strategy?

Just curious if anyone else is going through something similar or if it's just bad run of cards mixed in with some bad play on my part.
Thanks

P

snowmen
02-02-2005, 09:26 PM
I think Party's sng strategy should be redefined , the field is changing.Any suggestion?

eastbay
02-02-2005, 10:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think Party's sng strategy should be redefined , the field is changing.Any suggestion?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not saying it's true or it's not true, but this has been said every month like clockwork for at least the past 14 months.

eastbay

Jcardshark
02-02-2005, 10:23 PM

Michael C.
02-02-2005, 10:34 PM
I think part of it is that the 215s have a lot more variance in general, so you can be more prone to slumps. I don't think more bad players entering is the reason, although yes, that does mean you should try to see more flops cheaply early.

Big Limpin'
02-02-2005, 10:51 PM
Heres a theory for you:

The steps came along, and some of the best 215 players re-located. But you know who else did? The deadest of the money went there too.

I suspect that since the steps started up, the number of people at your table that are grinders has increased. All positive ROI's decrease as the easiest money dries up.

Yes? No? Maybe so? I play neither for those stakes, or at party. Grain of salt

stupidsucker
02-02-2005, 11:00 PM
Im begining to think that a slump isnt a slump until it lasts for over 1000 games. (back to back slumpy 500 game sessions)

If the slump was bad it will effect your long standing roi for thousands of games to come thus making the slump feel even longer. Everything else including as much as 40 buy in downswings at the 200s is purely regular variance until proved otherwise.

Gramps
02-02-2005, 11:17 PM
I haven't noticed any difference, and that's coming from someone who recently had their first bad losing streak in two months (that I went > 1,000 SNGs without a 4k drop was a first for me, so I guess I was due for a downturn). There can be a lot of variance in the 215s, even from 500 tourney set to 500 tourney set.

There's just a lot of swings in the 215s, no way around it. The games appear the same to me as when I first wandered into them 6 months ago.

lorinda
02-02-2005, 11:23 PM

You can't change the approximate best strategy within the blind structure given.
Unfortunately a simple formula to help people do better is going to come unstuck at a level where you actually have to play poker and think about hands against other people who know you know what to do.

The only advice is to keep learning and improving, there is nothing fundamentally wrong with the guidelines.

A lot of players with little or no experience need to understand that poker is a game involving a lot of thought, the guidelines just get you playing the right game - It's the starting point, not the finishing point.

Lori

ChrisV
02-03-2005, 12:36 AM
I've slumped on the 215's as well recently, but I (mostly) don't think it's down to a change in the games. I think SNGs exhibit a weird phenomenon, where variance is small (i.e. its hard to lose more than 30 buyins) but it lasts for ages (i.e. your ROI can be 5 or 10% lower over 500 tourneys). I don't know why this is, but that's how it seems to me.

I have noticed an apparent change in the games recently - people seem to be snapping off my blind steals a lot more, often with complete trash like A3 offsuit. However, it's quite possible this is only happening to me by chance. Has anyone else noticed this, or is it just me?

It's always worth looking at your play. I reckon over the last 500 tourneys I've set fire to about 2 grand in equity. Tilt in SNGs can be very subtle. The right strategy at the end is crazy aggression, so it's easy to turn the aggression up too far and not notice.

DonButtons
02-03-2005, 03:34 AM
You change your screen name?, I use to see hokiehustler (party screenname) which I assume is you, in like every multi, now it seems you never play them.

I think the $215s strategy is becoming more well known now, and a lot of people are using the same strategy at the end.

I just opened a empire account, so I am going to see if I can 4 table the $200s while still playing my usuall 4-6 multis a night.

Gigabet
02-03-2005, 04:34 AM
I'll bet its all them damn bots.

HokieHustler
02-03-2005, 10:07 AM
yea, it's "YouOutDrewMe" now..i haven't been playing many multi's lately although i think i'm going to venture back to them as i've had more success in them

poindexter
02-03-2005, 11:10 AM
the limit game is still profitable but it has been bombarded by some near perfect bubble strategy players. 6 to 7 players left in the 6th round is very common now. There are less regulars and more new faces pop up everyday. I imagine this is due to the steps overall strategy which rewards the player with better survival skills over the aggressor. I also believe the steps provide a great player a faster route to the top then the traditional $10-$200 sng method

DonButtons
02-03-2005, 05:19 PM
Ohhh, I see, your YouOutDrewMe,

I think you outdrew me in the super tuesday lol

Seat 1: bigmiiiiike ( $3167 )
Seat 2: MAURICE_A ( $5762 )
Seat 4: fed105 ( $5432 )
Seat 5: bads33d ( $3605 )
Seat 7: Little_Pipi ( $1630 )
Seat 8: ebolivia ( $3221 )
Seat 10: The_Gashouse ( $630 )
Seat 3: YouOutdrewMe ( $5385 )
Seat 6: lebeaux ( $14923 )
Seat 9: SUPERFLYE77 ( $11443 )
Trny:9195279 Level:7
Blinds (100/200)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to bads33d [ Kc Ad ]
lebeaux folds.
Little_Pipi folds.
ebolivia folds.
SUPERFLYE77 folds.
The_Gashouse folds.
bigmiiiiike folds.
MAURICE_A folds.
YouOutdrewMe raises [500].
The next WOLRD OPEN Satellite runs tonight at 12:15 AM. You have 49 min(s) to register!
>You have options at Multi-Table(230652) Table #49 Table!.
fed105 will be using his time bank for this hand.
fed105 folds.
bads33d is all-In [3405]
YouOutdrewMe calls [3105].
** Dealing Flop ** [ 7s, 6c, Jc ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ 4d ]
** Dealing River ** [ 8c ]
YouOutdrewMe shows [ Qc, Ac ] a flush, ace high.
bads33d shows [ Kc, Ad ] high card ace.
Player bads33d finished in 189 place
YouOutdrewMe wins 7310 chips from the main pot with a flush, ace high.
bads33d has left the table.

HokieHustler
02-03-2005, 08:07 PM
yea that was pretty bad on my part... was hoping more like Jacks on your part and felt like gamblin :-)

morgan180
02-03-2005, 08:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
while still playing my usuall 4-6 multis a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

what tournaments do you normally play in on a nightly basis? i love playing multis and usually try to play at least one a night but i don't play at the levels you do - i find that UB has the best selection of multi's for my buyin level (10-50) got any pointers on sites with decent multis? i'd love to play more. TIA

DonButtons
02-07-2005, 12:22 AM
I play at party poker.

Here's there tournament schedule.

http://www.partypoker.com/news/events/all-weekly-tournaments.htm

GL.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
while still playing my usuall 4-6 multis a night.

[/ QUOTE ]

what tournaments do you normally play in on a nightly basis? i love playing multis and usually try to play at least one a night but i don't play at the levels you do - i find that UB has the best selection of multi's for my buyin level (10-50) got any pointers on sites with decent multis? i'd love to play more. TIA

[/ QUOTE ]

morello
02-07-2005, 09:25 AM
Not meant to be offensive, but I think that you have some major leaks (or at least medium) in your game. I just finished a SNG with you, and you made one error that I would attribute as being major.

AA suited
02-07-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not meant to be offensive, but I think that you have some major leaks (or at least medium) in your game. I just finished a SNG with you, and you made one error that I would attribute as being major.

[/ QUOTE ]

what did he do, and what would you have done?

(want to learn how people play at 200+15)