PDA

View Full Version : Omaha 8OB Check it Down

BigRedAce
02-02-2005, 09:03 PM
I have an O8B etiquette question.

I was in a 4/8 O8B game today at Bay 101 and flopped the nut low (a wheel). I checked and then bet on the turn. The guy to my left called and everyone else folded. The guy on my left was a friendly guy and we had been chatting a bit.

Before the river, he asks if I want to check it down. I figured he thought I had just a low and he was going high in which case I might have. But I said no and he says "I'll remember that" and then gets kind of pissy. I ask him if I am breaching etiquette (not that I would care that much since I had the low nuts and 90% chance of the high).

Anyway, he says "do whatever you want, but I'll remember". I bet he calls, and I scoop. I should say it was pretty obvious I had the A-5 since I raised preflop and the board had 2-3-4 on it.

So what is the etiquette with checking-it-down? It seems it's kind of like chopping blinds...some do, some don't but don't get pissy at me. I figure if his hand was weak, he shouldn't have called.

Tom Bayes
02-02-2005, 09:08 PM
It sounds to me like "Mr. Friendly" is actually a angle-shooting douche who wants a showdown with a hand he knows is probably not good without paying for it.

BigRedAce
02-02-2005, 09:21 PM
Yeah, my thoughts too. The only issue is that this is a regulars game. Most of the folks at the table knew each other and it's the only live Omaha game in town. Didn't know if I'm going to get branded an a**h01e.

But that's not the worst table image I could have...

Ghazban
02-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Often, when it gets HU in Omaha8, one person has a very strong high made but no low and the other has the nut low with no redraw for high. At this point, further betting does nothing but increase the rake as neither player has any chance of catching up to the other. If you have a chance of 3/4 or scooping, you should absolutely continue betting.