PDA

View Full Version : Junior Welterweights

Glenn
02-02-2005, 07:54 PM
Best weight class in boxing right now. Who do we think is going to emerge as the alpha male? You have the 4 undefeateds in Mayweather, Cotto, Harris, and Hatton, then the #1 Kostya Tszyu, and the fan favorite Gatti. In an odd turn of events for modern pro boxing, it looks like they are actually looking to fight one another. Tszyu and Hatton are fighting 6/6 and Gatti/Mayweather should happen later that month (if Pretty Boy Wife Beater doesn't end up in jail). I think Tszyu will have his way with Hatton, although being from the states I haven't really had a chance to see Hatton. Then again, Hatton hasn't had a chance to see much real competition. Mayweather/Gatti should be exciting. Of course I want Gatti to win but at first glance it seems unlikely. McGirt is a genius though, and Gatti has been looking sharp. Regardless, it will be an action fight, and I will be there screaming for Arturo like any good New Jersey native. Thoughts?

Ulysses
02-02-2005, 08:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Mayweather

[/ QUOTE ]

On a not really related point, what ever happened to Prince Naseem Hamed after he lost to Barrera? Did he ever fight again? Is he retired?

Glenn
02-02-2005, 08:17 PM
He is supposedly about to make a comeback after a few years off, I believe. I heard he has an upcoming fight against a TBA opponent somewhere in the Middle East.

BottlesOf
02-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Mayweather is [censored] awesome.

Men the Master
02-02-2005, 08:25 PM
The best division are the junior lightweights/super featherweights. Juan Manuel Marquez, Manny Pacquiao, Marco Antonio Barrera, Erik Morales. All four are in the Ring Magazine top ten pound-for-pound list.

Boris
02-02-2005, 08:29 PM
Think you could take Pacquiao in a street fight? On the one hand he only weighs like 97 pounds. On the other hand he sure is a tough little bastard.

IndieMatty
02-02-2005, 09:24 PM
He lost one comeback fight. Don't know whats up with him now.

There really should be more boxing talk on the board. I think it's entering a new era.

Fratony
02-02-2005, 09:31 PM
I would have to say that the most entertaining fighter in the world right now would be Mayweather. He makes 99.99999% of humans look ridiculous. In fact, i may not be giving him enough credit there. Also, heavyweight fighers Vitali and Wladamir klitchko are amazing and don't get nearly enough recognition. Both of them have their doctorates as well...fighters who still have brains, interesting.

Dale
02-02-2005, 09:42 PM
I'd look for Tszyu to win an eventual showdown with Mayweather in a not-close fight.

Glenn
02-02-2005, 10:05 PM
I agree that Tszyu > Mayweather (at least at 140). IF Mayweather has an easy time with Gatti, Mayweather/Tszyu could be a modern day Hagler/Leonard.

Glenn
02-02-2005, 10:14 PM
"I would have to say that the most entertaining fighter in the world right now would be Mayweather. "

Mayweather sold 4,000 tickets to his last fight, so I would have to say you are decidedly in the minority here. As far as him making others look ridiculous, he hasn't seen anything at 140 yet. The guy he just fought is probably about the 30th best fighter in the division, and he still took 8 rounds to finish him. Floyd is quick, but he doesn't have very much power, and he hasn't been close to tested as a junior welterweight. His speed might carry him for a while, but against someone like Tszyu, he will get hurt badly.