PDA

View Full Version : 3 BB raise revisited

e_fermat
02-02-2005, 06:42 PM
Everybody here uses a strategy of increasing aggression as play progresses towards the bubble and the blinds increase. Now, from what I've read previously, most people tend to use a strategy of a standard 3BB raise with a wide range of hands, this way your KK and JTs raises look the same and it makes it more difficult for opponents to put you on a range of hands. This all seems reasonable and is generally quite effective.

Recently, I've been experimenting with a different approach in situations where I've doubled up at some point and have a good sized stack to throw around. Instead of the 3BB raise when it comes time to start stealing (say 50/100 on Stars), I vary this from a min-raise to 5BB raise in proportion to the strength of my hand (this is why it can only be done with a deep stack since otherwise a 5BB raise will always pot commit you). So say a min-raise with a low-PP, a 5BB raise with AKs. This continues until I've shown down my hand at least 2 or 3 times. Then, at which point blinds are probably 100/200, I completely reverse my strategy and min-raise monsters and heavily raise all sorts of junk. Basically, hoping my opponents have clued into my raise variance, I now want to use it against them so I can more easily get-reraised while holding monsters and increase the fold equity of my junk. Anecdotecally, I think this has been working well although I haven't tracked my results in these SNG's where I've been able to apply this. Certainly with a deep stack I'm finishing in the money often anyways but I am fairly sure it has improved my ITM and distribution of high finishes even more. Or perhaps it just feels extra good to be re-raised holding AA or watching people fold to a 5BB raise with 97o.

Any thoughts on this? Mostly this has been used on the 55's at stars.

codewarrior
02-02-2005, 07:45 PM
The converse is also effective. I use both. In the same game... /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Big Limpin'
02-02-2005, 07:48 PM
I think this post will be of interest to you. Preflop Raising Theories (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tourn&Number=1403141)
Poster suggests 3 different "systems", and contrasts them. I thought it was really good

Big Limpin'
02-02-2005, 07:53 PM
ALso, i think you give your opponents too much credit for noticing stuff. They only see you raising different amounts. You say only 2 or 3 will get shown down. To give them credit for analyzing that hand, working back, and deducing that you raise big with AA and small with 22.

Maybe ONE guy at the table notices. maybe.

And what are the chances it will be HIM that you are up against in that one big hand after you pull the "swicheroo".