PDA

View Full Version : Intentional "leaks"

moot
02-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Do any of you guys intentionally do things that you know are negative EV? I have a couple:

1) I occasionally raise with with T7 suited in limit. I never cold call or reraise, and I don't play it stupidly postflop (like, I'm not gonna call down if I hit my 7) so it doesn't cost me a lot. But it's my "lucky" hand.

2) My friends and I have something called "Five Dollar Fridays" where we buy in for 5 bucks at 25 NL (on Friday). Starting on the BB, we go all-in every hand (regardless of the action) until we bust or get to $25 (at which point we cash out).

This is more of the entertainment side of poker. I know it loses me a little money, but it's fun and breaks up the monotony that sometimes arises from long days at the tables.

bernie
02-02-2005, 06:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
1) I occasionally raise with with T7 suited in limit. I never cold call or reraise, and I don't play it stupidly postflop (like, I'm not gonna call down if I hit my 7) so it doesn't cost me a lot. But it's my "lucky" hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Other than for fun, why would you do this? Don't you get enough action on your better hands already?

b

ElSapo
02-02-2005, 06:20 PM
#1 - No, I don't do this.

#2 - If it's you and your friends sitting around a table doing this, it isn't -EV I believe it's neutral just because it doesn't sound like there is a rake and eventually everyone wins and loses the same amount. If it's online, then yes, it's probably -EV but actually I do something similar once in a while...

At some point you have to balance a -EV play with the EV of enjoying what you're doing. But your first example is pretty much -EV all around. Your second is either moderately bad (if you go all in every hand or only on good ones) or neutral if it's how it sounds.

ElSapo

fishfeet
02-02-2005, 06:29 PM
I, for some odd reason, really like 10-7 as well.. suited or not.
I dont call raises with it normally.. but if I have enough of a stack I will sometimes make a raise.

Im trying to aviod having 'favorite hands' that are worthless to play. Meh.

The-Matador
02-02-2005, 06:47 PM
JTs of diamonds is my hand, on account of it hitting me two of my three Royals (and those two within 6 months of one another). I raise it every time, even though sometimes I know it's not the correct play.

Once in a while I drop to a really small game and go nuts, raising every hand for about 30 in a row and seeing if how I play after the flop can make up for it.

emonrad87
02-02-2005, 07:06 PM
My lucky hand is pocket aces. It seems to win a lot for me.

cpk
02-02-2005, 08:31 PM
While raising T7s is not a good general strategy, the play does have its merits in some cases.

gazarsgo
02-02-2005, 08:55 PM
I am very sad to find that not one, but TWO other 2+2ers have T7s as a favorite hand. I flopped a boat with once when I was still learning how to play poker so that's why it's MY lucky hand. It's still my lucky hand but I only play it from the blinds now rather than raise it or anything funky.

IndieMatty
02-02-2005, 09:07 PM
I do stupid sh[/url]it all the time, because I like to gamble.

It's still stupid sh[url=""] ("")it though.

Joe826
02-02-2005, 09:56 PM
i /images/graemlins/heart.gif T8s. T7 is for noobs, plus my -EV raise is more +EV than yours /images/graemlins/grin.gif.

sthief09
02-02-2005, 11:17 PM
I tend to be too loose with J9s and 99 because I /images/graemlins/heart.gif them

VBM
02-02-2005, 11:36 PM
sometimes in 2+2 games we'll pick some random hand and cap every street...*shrug*

something like that?

Joe826
02-03-2005, 12:21 AM
omg what bet did you lose?

fearme
02-03-2005, 03:57 AM
3bet or raise w/ lowball to medium suited cards mainly for advertisement and want to look like a gambler