PDA

View Full Version : fold top 2 pair?

syka16
02-02-2005, 05:28 PM
Multitabling so no really good read on this guy. I usually fold AQ in EP but I was getting bored.

No-limit Texas Hold'em $20+$2 (real money),

Seat 1: stagger1 ($2,035 in chips)
Seat 2: raketjan ($1,765 in chips)
Seat 3: divataunia ($595 in chips)
Seat 4: IcedDiamond ($1,915 in chips)
Seat 5: rainmansix ($2,070 in chips)
Seat 7: barfine72 ($1,225 in chips)
Seat 8: brad-nowell ($1,685 in chips)
Seat 9: ak983 ($2,240 in chips)
Seat 10: Syka16 [QH,AS] ($1,470 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
barfine72 posts blind ($15), brad-nowell posts blind ($30).

PRE-FLOP
ak983 calls $30, Syka16 calls $30, stagger1 folds, raketjan folds, divataunia folds, IcedDiamond folds, rainmansix calls $30, barfine72 calls $15, brad-nowell checks.

FLOP [board cards 10D,AD,QC ]
barfine72 checks, brad-nowell bets $100, ak983 folds, Syka16 bets $250, rainmansix folds, barfine72 bets $1,195 and is all-in, brad-nowell folds, Syka16 calls $945.

TURN [board cards 10D,AD,QC,4H ]

RIVER [board cards 10D,AD,QC,4H,2D ]

SHOWDOWN
barfine72 shows [ AH,10C ]
Syka16 shows [ QH,AS ]
Syka16 wins $2,640.

J-Lo
02-02-2005, 05:40 PM
I think this is routine fold early in the SNG... after a raise and a push you are usually beat at best tied... so i would fold this everytime @ the $20+2 level

Elektrik
02-02-2005, 05:43 PM
I'm not folding this.

You are only beaten by KJ and TT, assuming AA and QQ would have raised preflop. I can put him on a wide range of hands (diamond draws, Ax, absolute trash, etc) that I most likely beat. If he has KJ or TT, hope for your four outs and fire up another one.

syka16
02-02-2005, 06:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think this is routine fold early in the SNG... after a raise and a push you are usually beat at best tied... so i would fold this everytime @ the $20+2 level

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't you get shown bottom pair + flush draw here a lot?

Big Limpin'
02-02-2005, 07:42 PM
Nothing wrong with AQ, even early position. Its probably the best hand, and real cheap to limp. You're not far into the pot, so you can bail pretty much for free.

If ever there is a flop thats both really good and big trouble, this is it. My thought process would go something like:

-AQJ flop? I have top 2 pairs /images/graemlins/smile.gif
-Uh-oh! A pat straight could've been flopped /images/graemlins/ooo.gif
-Can i rule out KJ? /images/graemlins/confused.gif
-No, there was no p/f raise, so any hand is possible /images/graemlins/mad.gif
-Thats a longshot, of course, so I'm pretty sure i have the best MADE hand right now /images/graemlins/cool.gif
-Then Mr Brad-Nowell (sublime) leads with a 2/3 pot bet from the blind.
-Now i think: How fast to play this hand?
-Do i want several callers (pays 3 or 4 to 1) or not?
-Are there draws agaist me?
-Theres a flush draw. And a gutshot.
-Realize that having a King or Jack come on turn or river will kill my hand. I certainly cant bet anymore if it does.
-So, I think you HAVE to raise here. Calling is unaccptable.
-How much to raise?
-You bet T250, and thats OK with me, but i think that is the minimum. But your hand is so good that it would be a shame to overbet and have everyone fold. Make a value bet. Bet whatever amount you think will get the most money into the pot now.

And then when one of the guys to act behind you pushes all in, well, thats probably a good thing. All draws are charged "full price". The blind folds, so he didnt have much. At this point, you cannot EVER fold. EVer EVER EVER.

As a previous post mentioned, only 2 hands beat you. KJ and TT. I agree that AA/QQ should not be there. Both because you can see 2 of the aces and 2 of the queens already, AND because of everyones limps preflop.

The other thing i'd say is realize that yes, you likely have the best hand, but he almost certainly has outs. I'd put him on 1 pair & gutshot, 1 pair & flush draw, etc, and you arent a lock. These hands have between 6 and 11 outs against out, and he has both turn AND river cards to come.
WHats that, about 4:1 odds in your favor? Pretty good still, but no shoo-in.

And of course, the pusher can have a made hand himself. Great! Unless its TT or KJ, he has 2 outs only. Thats about 12:1, i think?

And because you have 250 of your chips in the pot already, yeah, i think you have the odds to call.

Whew! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

ChrisV
02-02-2005, 08:55 PM
Automatic call. If he has KJ that's too damn bad. A lot of people raise TT so it makes it less likely he has that. I think I'm ahead here probably 80% of the time.