PDA

View Full Version : Keeping your laptop cool?

Tenacious A
02-02-2005, 02:24 PM
Just bought the Dell Inspiron 8600 (thanks to all who helped--it's great) and I'm looking for suggestions on keeping it from running too hot. I looked at Micro Center yesterday and found stands with holes that didn't look too lap friendly. I also saw a deal that plugs into a USB port and has fans that keep it cool and blow hot air away--it too looked unfriendly to the groin region. What do you guys use? This would only be for when I'm hanging out watching TV and have the laptop on my actual lap. I'll get something else for when I'm at my desk.

Thanks.

kurosh
02-02-2005, 02:34 PM
fangui

MicroBob
02-02-2005, 02:34 PM
I have one of the slim leather-pad things that plug into the USB.

I actually use it pretty much non-stop either at my desk or on the couch with it.
Not sure which one you were looking at that struck you as uncomfortable...but this one is maybe a half-inch thick and is just a leather-type of pad with the little fans blowing.

Company might have been Bytec or Avtec or something (although there are several others I'm sure). Got it at Comp USA for $19 or $29 or so.

RED_RAIN
02-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Is it loud?

RollaJ
02-02-2005, 03:23 PM
I had a heat problem with my last laptop (HP) but with MY 8600 I can have it on for hours and it doesnt get hot or loud...... maybe something is wrong?

Tenacious A
02-02-2005, 03:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I had a heat problem with my last laptop (HP) but with MY 8600 I can have it on for hours and it doesnt get hot or loud...... maybe something is wrong?

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't plug it in, just used the battery, wondering if that was part of the problem.

chrisdhal
02-02-2005, 03:43 PM
It can't be any more groin unfriendly than a super heated laptop.

My old Dell C810 ran really hot. I've got a D800 now and it runs pretty hot too. I'm thinking about getting one of those things that Bob mentioned.

Jamey Saunders
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I actually had a support rep for HP tell me that I didn't have a "laptop", I had a "notebook" and that it was never intended to be used in your lap! /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Newer processors generate so much heat, that you can't do much for them. But keep in mind that the engineers who designed the thing knew this. IMO, the heat won't hurt anything in the computer.

Your groin, however, is another matter entirely... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Bellagibro
02-02-2005, 04:08 PM
I never put my notebook on my lap anymore after watching a news report on Fox news that it hurts your sperm.

RED_RAIN
02-02-2005, 04:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
IMO, the heat won't hurt anything in the computer.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is horrible. Not only can you overheat your processor (thank god, the new ones just often auto shutoff your computer), but you can also overheat other components beyond repair.

kurosh
02-02-2005, 04:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fangui

[/ QUOTE ] I like how everyone just ignore my solution that works.

dfscott
02-02-2005, 04:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
fangui

[/ QUOTE ] I like how everyone just ignore my solution that works.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it was because no one knew what the hell you were talking about. A link (http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html) would've been a bit more informative.

Jamey Saunders
02-02-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I never put my notebook on my lap anymore after watching a news report on Fox news that it hurts your sperm.

[/ QUOTE ]

For what it's worth, I use mine in my lap, and my wife and I are expecting our first in June... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

My method for lap usage is to just sit the outer edges on my legs (I sit on the couch Indian-style). This lets the bottom of the computer where the processor (and heat) are be exposed to air, not my skin.

dfscott
02-02-2005, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't plug it in, just used the battery, wondering if that was part of the problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I find that my laptop runs much cooler when on battery than when plugged in.

FWIW, I use the "open crotch" method as well. And dead sperm is a good thing, as far as I'm concerned -- my reproductive activities are complete.

RollaJ
02-02-2005, 05:46 PM
I always use mine plugged in on a table or desk, so it is elevated about 1/4 cm from the surface which gives it enough room to "breath" I guess.

joedot
02-02-2005, 08:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, maybe we'll have one less freak procreating and spreading their crap all over this planet

akira
02-02-2005, 10:51 PM
I just got the laptop cooler with 4 fans in it, it was only $15 with shipping from acrotech (http://www.acortech.com/.sc/ms/sch/1099068847165351/059709-609/nc/ee?search=np-101).. Use "pricewatch" coupon code for free shipping..

I definitely recommend it.. Previously I used a cardboard box under my 15.4" notebook and placed that on my lap, but the laptop got hot at the bottom (even if I proped it up at the back to give it more breathing room).. With this thing, I place the notebook on top and put the cooler on my lap, and the cooler does not heat up at all.. Even the bottom of the laptop is now barely warm to the touch.. It's actually quieter than the notebook fan, and the notebook fan doesn't seem to come on anymore.. Plus as a bonus I get a nice little breeze around me /images/graemlins/smile.gif You can't beat it for $15!

MicroBob
02-02-2005, 11:51 PM
Mine is also completely silent typically.

Sometimes it whirres on start-up like one of the fans is knocking against a side and I have to hit it to get the noise to stop(this hasn't happened for a while).
but I';ve been using it pretty much non-stop for over a year now.

The fact that it's less heat in your lap is nice of course as well as keeping your chances of having kids
....but the REAL reason you should get one of these cooler thingees is for your computer itself.

Keeping it from over-heating will help prevent the computer from wearing-down and keep the mother-board (or whatever it's called) from totally frying.

Think about it....your computer is getting hot to the touch...and you've got a bunch of delicate parts inside it that are probably being slowly melted away. It's not good.

I've had 2 lap-tops that had total freeze-up at random-times problems probably because the heat it generates caused so much wear and tear.

My Dad likes t set his laptop on this padded foot-rest and he leans forward in his chair and works on it while watching TV. This is essentially the same as putting it on a pillow (the foot-rest is pretty soft) meaning he's essentially insulating his computer and keeping a lot of heat IN and not giving it a chance to escape.
He doesn't leave it running when he's not working on it though so it's usually on for an hour at a time at the most and then he shuts it down. But I suspect he's causing damage to the parts inside.
He says it's been running really slowly lately and that various virus-scans aren't turning up anything so it's possbile the heat has already started to hurt the machine.

Anyway....get one for the health of your computer.

MicroBob
02-02-2005, 11:53 PM
I'm not sure my fan is quite as effective as when I first got it and I'm thinking of getting another one.

I've occasionally propped the computer above the fan with 4 poker-chips on each corner...but this only works on a deak obviously, not on your lap.
I think it is helping to circulate the air even more though with that little 4 poker-chip gap between the bottom of the computer and the fan thing still cooling the air underneath it.

RED_RAIN
02-03-2005, 12:08 AM
Can you please post make and model # and where you got it, thanks!

akira
02-03-2005, 12:14 AM
Not sure about Microbob, but I got the "Evercool NP-101 Notebook Cooler with 4 Fans." The model # at Acrotech is "pn-3201660." I included the link to this on my previous post. Also it has a on/off switch and a fan speed adjuster.. There is review Here. (http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=evercoolnp-1011)

MicroBob
02-03-2005, 12:18 AM
I got mine at Comp USA.
I don't even know the make and model...but I thnk they had 4 or 5 brands there.
I believe the one I have is from a company called Avtec or Bytec or something.

I would like it to blow more cool-air than it does even if it meant that it actually creates a liitle bit of noise.
So I might get a different model and see if it is more effective.

Not sure if the product I have is wearing out (or just not as good anymore) or if it is my imagination and it is really just as good as it was when I got it brand new OR (most likely) some cat-hair got into a couple of the fans and reduced it's effectiveness.

Even though I'm not complete 100% thrilled with my cooler...I know it still helps at least some.
Last night I ran it without the cooler thing just because I had left it in the other room and was lazy.
Even on the desk the computer DEFINITELY got hotter than it usually does.

MicroBob
02-03-2005, 12:22 AM
mine only has 3 fans and that is why i think I don't like it quite as much.
fans in a triangle formation obviously...with only 1 fan in the center-front...so the front-sides aren't really getting cooled as much.

also, mine just as an off-on switch...but not fan-speed adjuster which I think would be great. I suspect mine is at a constant 'medium' speed.

Will look into the one you have as it seems to be better than mine.

RED_RAIN
02-03-2005, 12:34 AM
I'm making this post to hopefully help generate as I think there are a few people interested in getting one of these.

Cooling System for Laptop Computer (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1661407&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=&vc=#Post1661407)

dfscott
02-03-2005, 10:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Not sure about Microbob, but I got the "Evercool NP-101 Notebook Cooler with 4 Fans." The model # at Acrotech is "pn-3201660." I included the link to this on my previous post. Also it has a on/off switch and a fan speed adjuster.. There is review Here. (http://www.3dxtreme.net/index.php?id=evercoolnp-1011)

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work for you? Is your goal to keep your laptop cool or your lap?

BTW, I just ordered a lapinator (http://www.lapinator.com/) (it sounds like some kind of sex toy). I thought I'd start cheap and see how it worked before I went for a more expensive option. Once I get it and try it out, I'll report in the other thread.

lorinda
02-03-2005, 10:20 AM
Great timing for this thread for me /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

My fan died last night and the laptop is basically unopenable to replace it. Will one of these super cooler thingies work as an adequate replacement until I can actually afford either a new laptop or to pay one of those horrible expensive computer guys to replace the fan I have?

Thanks

Lori

akira
02-03-2005, 10:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How does this work for you? Is your goal to keep your laptop cool or your lap?

BTW, I just ordered a lapinator (http://www.lapinator.com/) (it sounds like some kind of sex toy). I thought I'd start cheap and see how it worked before I went for a more expensive option. Once I get it and try it out, I'll report in the other thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

It works really well for both goals - laptop is now much cooler and now I can use this thing instead of a dainty cardboard box to put on my lap.. See my previous post on this thread, I had a link and coupon code, it was only $15 for the thing online..

dfscott
02-03-2005, 10:41 AM
Doh! Somehow I missed your original post, which answered all my questions. Sorry 'bout that.

BTW, we miss your money at the weekly tournament...

MicroBob
02-03-2005, 10:52 AM
That sucks.

I really don't know if one would work that effectively for you though. My hunch is that it wouldn't help enough to make up for the inner-fan thing.

Obviously you can just get one and see how effective it is....and if it doesn't do enough you still have it for when you get it fixed.
Maybe the cust-serv for one of these things would have some thoughts on this (if they indeed have any thoughts at all).

But I suspect you'll be better off taking it to the shop.

lorinda
02-03-2005, 10:56 AM
Thanks MB.

I hate computers.

Lori

Tenacious A
02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Thanks for all the help guys. It ran a lot cooler last night just by moving from the couch to my recliner and propping it between my legs (insert lapinator joke here). I still plan to get something for cooling. I like the Evercool option. And if all else fails, I'll call McDonalds for one of those cool McDLT boxes that keeps the "hot side hot" and the "cool side cool".

MicroBob
02-03-2005, 01:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
one of those cool McDLT boxes that keeps the "hot side hot" and the "cool side cool".

[/ QUOTE ]

Those boxes ROCKED!!
I used to love the McDLT's!!!

RED_RAIN
02-14-2005, 06:17 PM
I bought one and wrote a review located here (http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1731542&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=&vc=#Post1731542) .