PDA

View Full Version : Party $11 flop decision

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-02-2005, 01:43 PM
push or check-fold?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t50 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG+1 (t255)
MP1 (t1565)
MP2 (t1410)
CO (t1425)
Button (t340)
SB (t375)
Hero (t710)
UTG (t1920)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls t50, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Button calls t50, SB completes, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t250</font>, MP1 calls t200, Button folds, SB folds.

Flop: (t600) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero...</font>

jdl22
02-02-2005, 01:47 PM
... should have pushed preflop.

Phil Van Sexton
02-02-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
... should have pushed preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed.

Failing that, you must push on this flop. You are only against 1 opponent, so you are probably still ahead.

You've given him pretty good odds to call if he has Ad or Kd, but you'll still be the favoite to take it down if he doesn't a have Q or a set. Easy push given the spot you put yourself in.

Gravy (Gravy Smoothie)
02-02-2005, 02:14 PM
Right. Thanks guys.

nokona13
02-02-2005, 02:28 PM
I have no illusion that I'm a great poker player, so don't take this as a challenge. I just have a question about the amount people advocate pushing in this forum. At something like Party 11s-33s, you start with t800. That means if you don't win chips before level 3, you're always &lt;10x BB by level 3. So does this mean that from the 20th hand onward you should only push or fold pre-flop?

Delphin
02-02-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have no illusion that I'm a great poker player, so don't take this as a challenge. I just have a question about the amount people advocate pushing in this forum. At something like Party 11s-33s, you start with t800. That means if you don't win chips before level 3, you're always &lt;10x BB by level 3. So does this mean that from the 20th hand onward you should only push or fold pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Push or fold is a good strategy with &lt; 10xBB. What I learned the hard way is not to keep using the strategy once you steal a few pots or double up once or twice and now have &gt;&gt; 10xBB.

My biggest dilemma now is deciding whether to tighten my range of hands but keeping pushing or whether to push some hands and just limp or come in for a small raise with others.

Phil Van Sexton
02-02-2005, 03:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does seem that 90% of the responses to questions are "push". This is true because you don't get many chips to start with. It is also true because many questions are posts where the Hero is facing a very tough decision. In this case, it is often correct to push and then put your opponent to a decision instead, or push earlier and avoid the tough spot before it happens.

In this example, the hero is almost certain to have the best hand (AA,KK,QQ would normally have raised), but there is good chance that he could be outflopped especially against multiple opponents.

I believe level 4 is 50/100, so you have 30 hands of real play. After that, the pots get so big in relation to your stack that you will almost certainly be all-in by the river if you have any kind of hand. In this case, you are often better off pushing to begin with.

I believe there's some leeway if it's folded you on the button or sb. You can then bet 250 against passive opponents. However, if there are limpers ahead of you or several people behind you, pushing may the only reasonable choice.

jcm4ccc
02-02-2005, 04:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It does seem that 90% of the responses to questions are "push". This is true because you don't get many chips to start with. It is also true because many questions are posts where the Hero is facing a very tough decision. In this case, it is often correct to push and then put your opponent to a decision instead, or push earlier and avoid the tough spot before it happens.

In this example, the hero is almost certain to have the best hand (AA,KK,QQ would normally have raised), but there is good chance that he could be outflopped especially against multiple opponents.

I believe level 4 is 50/100, so you have 30 hands of real play. After that, the pots get so big in relation to your stack that you will almost certainly be all-in by the river if you have any kind of hand. In this case, you are often better off pushing to begin with.

I believe there's some leeway if it's folded you on the button or sb. You can then bet 250 against passive opponents. However, if there are limpers ahead of you or several people behind you, pushing may the only reasonable choice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would push this hand, because you can pick up 175 chips from the two limpers and the blinds.

But what if there were no limpers? Would you still push? The blinds are only 25/50. Seems like the risk/reward ratio is not that great. The times you win 75 chips would not be worth the times you bust out.