PDA

View Full Version : Should I have pushed?

Michael C.
02-02-2005, 01:11 PM
PP $109 SNG. Three players left. One player all in, so 1500 in the pot. I have about 4400 in chips left, second place has 4100 left. I have A9s, first to act. Flop is 7-8-9, with one of my suit. I pushed thinking that with top pair top kicker, as long as they didn't both beat me, I at least finish second. And if I had bet less than all-in, I would have called her in that situation anyway. As it turned out the other big stack called with 10-10, the short stack had KK, and I finished 3rd soon after. Was pushing in that situation wrong?

Michael C.
02-02-2005, 10:10 PM
bump

willperkins
02-02-2005, 10:39 PM
I would have to know how all three of you got in the pot to begin with and how much the blinds are.

However, based on the limited information I have I would not have overbet the pot. I would have bet enough to make sure the remaining player did not get the correct odds to draw to a str8 (maybe t1000). If he calls, I would check the turn.

Michael C.
02-02-2005, 10:43 PM
OK, blinds were 250-500, and I was the big blind. The other stack calls, the short stack SB goes all in for the blind, thus 1500 in the pot. The flop was 7-8-9, and I had A9. Maybe you're right that I should have bet 500 or 1000, but I was worried that the button would just smooth call, and then if a straight or overcard fell I wouldn't know where I was and could be pushed out. Also, the only scenario I don't get second is if both players beat me and the short stack beats the button. While that's exactly what happened, with TP/TK I didn't think that was likely. But maybe I should have bet less on the flop. Of course I guess she raises me all in anyway and I'd have to call.

Any other opinions?

willperkins
02-02-2005, 11:10 PM
As I said before, this is what I would have done in this situation:

After the flop, I would have bet t1000. That is enough to make it incorrect for her to call with a str8 draw or two overcards. Since this is not a low level tourney, I would think she would only make this call if she can beat a 9

If she calls, I check the turn. If she raises my flop bet, I fold.

If she pushes, I fold.

If I check the turn and she bets, I fold.

If she wins, you will have t3400 and will be HU with her. She will have t6600. You still have plenty of chips to take her.

If the all in guy wins, you have t3400, she has t5100 and he has t1500. You are still in pretty good shape.

IMHO

Michael C.
02-02-2005, 11:14 PM
Thanks. I think you are correct. In retrospect that would have been a better way to play it for sure.

rachelwxm
02-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Use converter. I read this twice and still could not understand. /images/graemlins/smile.gif