PDA

View Full Version : Not a whining-post , just want to know if anybody.

06-29-2002, 06:29 AM
else had a session like this. I'm stunned about it, because it never happened before this brutal. There were pretty good results lately for me but yesterday it was unreal. I won $200 in a 5-10. Then i switched to 2 very good games of 3-6 and couldn't win a single hand in hours. I lost that 200 and almost another 1000. That is a huge swing for 3-6 and i'm wondering what others experienced so far.

06-29-2002, 07:09 AM
That is a large, but not impossible swing. David Sklansky in CardPlayer recently repeated the old measure of a good bankroll being 300 big bets. His exact words were "Up to 300 big bets and you can blame bad luck; any more and you must blame yourself". I know several people, including myself, who have had swings of over 200 BB.

Chris

06-29-2002, 09:32 AM
Yes. I have also had big swings several times but when you lose 200 big bets in 1 session something is wrong. Usually when I'm running bad and drop 150-200 BB:s it's over a longer period. I expect to have a 300BB drop at some point but never 200 BB during 1 session. I have logged over 2000h online so far (winning) and haven't seen anything like this before. At what site did this happen Fahreheitpoker ?.How long was your session? and are you a winning or a losing player overall online ?

06-29-2002, 10:15 AM
This happened at Party. But i'm still a good winner there. I played about 1000 hands at those tables during that session. I win about 1 BB for every 50 hands played. I still like Party and do not think that something is wrong. As a fact, this is my best site. It's just that it never hit me so hard. I am just curious about experiences by ohters.

06-29-2002, 11:49 AM
It's absolutely insane to have lost that much in one sitting at 3/6 online. You have too many options to end the bleeding. If you must continue to play change sites, at least change tables. Have you ever been playing two tables at once and own one but are getting killed at the other? What do you do? Quit the winning table so you can lose on two at once. NO!!! YOU MUST LEAVE THE LOSING TABLE(s). YOU ARE BEING OUT PLAYED. IT's JUST NOT YOUR DAY. Take a break, review hand histories, log off and try again later. Down 50 to 60 BB for me to continue I've got some serious explaining to do.... TO MYSELF.

06-29-2002, 12:28 PM
IMO loosing that much in 3-6 in an hour is more than a big swing. Did you see any weak players in the game? Were you getting a lot of good hands? Did you ever tighen up your play? Were you on tilt calling whem maybe you should have been folding? Playing too many hands upfront is a common mistake of poor play according to Mike Caro.

I had bad day yesterday, I also dropped a dime, but this was at parascamepoker, and I quit and cashed out. My bad beats were unreal, losing KQs to AK on a great flop for KQs, AK AA were the only two hands that could have beat me. That was ok as I know that happens, but then I lost two more hands that I was heads up with what I thought was a weak player and he took rags to the turn and improved but he also had to improve on the river to beat my made hand. Did this twice in less that 15 minutes. Then proceeded to drop my money to other players in a different but still what appeared to look like weak play.

06-29-2002, 03:42 PM
At Party LOL.

The reason I asked what site you encountered this was that I suspected it happened at Party but didn't want to sound like another sore loser.

I have played hundreds of sessions online but when I tried out Party I had some of my worst sessions ever even though the players were really bad. The swings were HUGE. I only played a few sessions before I decided to never come back. I have played at other sites were players are even worse without having those swings.

I don't say anything is "fixed" and I really mean it (played to few sessions) but I will not put anymore of my bankroll there. I'm an overall winner at all other 5 sites I have played at

06-30-2002, 12:47 AM
have completly erased party for all the reasons stated above.Sombody controls what you win and lose.The props never lose.

07-01-2002, 04:53 AM
One well knpwm shill plays 3-6 more than any other limit.

He likes to advertise that he is a pro, but in reality he is just a crook.

07-01-2002, 03:31 PM
Apparently no one paid the slightest bit of attention to what you wrote, even though a preschooler could have easily understood it.

Some folks are telling you that $1200 downswing is too big a loss in an hour (but you said it was over hours).

Others are calling it a 200 big bet downswing which is too much for one session, (but you were playing 2 3/6 games so you in effect were playing 6/12 and had a 100 big betdownswing over several hours, and that wasn't even your overall session loss anyway, since $200 of it was originally session profit).

Others are giving you great "advice" like "change to a different site", or "change to a different table" when you are losing. But you stated clearly that these were both good games. So if your appraisal of the games was correct, that kind of advice is akin to the moronic, "dealer change the deck", or "I always lose when this dealer comes in".

An 84 (approximately), net big bet loss in a long online session is not that unusual, even for a solid long term winning player.

07-01-2002, 05:24 PM
but you were playing 2 3/6 games so you in effect were playing 6/12

Boggle?

I don't understand this at all. Say you're in a 3-6 game with a bad dealer and you only get in 20 hands/hr. Then, a good dealer sits down and you get 40 hands/hr. Are you now, "in effect", playing 6-12?

07-01-2002, 08:49 PM
No, if you double your time, your swings get bigger, but not by 2.

Let's say you have a STD of 10BB/hour.

Playing 1 hours, you will lose 30BB .3% of the time.

Playing 3 hours, you will lose 51BB .3% of the time.

Playing 6 hours, you will lose 73BB .3% of the time.

So, by playing 2 tables, the swings went from 51BB to 73BB (the swing of 3 standard deviations out).

I think, no guarantees on the math! But anyways, the point is doubling the time does increase the swings but not linearly. /images/wink.gif

- Tony

07-02-2002, 09:31 AM
Does the STD of 10BB/H remain unchanged, or did you allow for that?

Tom D

07-04-2002, 05:37 AM
True, good point. Playing 2 tables, your win rate would probably go down, not sure what affect this has on STD, I suspect it will also go down, but slightly, due to not being able to concentrate 100% on each table.

Resulting in slightly lower EV plays. Just generalizing, but by lowering the +EV of a play, you are usually gaining some lower deviation. Or, vice-versa, the plays that get that last bit of +EV do so at the expense of a higher deviation. And I would suspect a winning player makes less of those "last bit of +EV plays" when playing 2 tables.

- Tony