PDA

View Full Version : 50k PPM "deal" unethical

PokerPaul
02-02-2005, 12:04 PM
On the surface it seems like a good alternative to tote bags and visors, and it would be if one could simply buy that package as 1 of their offerings from their store, or even if you could buy it outright but limited to 20 packages first come first served.

But when u combine the limited quantity of 20, AND the fact that u have to kill yourself playing poker for an entire week to accumulate 30000 points, it creates a ratrace mentality triggering tons of extra action for them from some of their most loyal players.

Tons of pressure to multitable and play way more than accustomed to, or at higher levels, which per player will generate tons of extra rake, but at much additional risk.

Furthermore, many players will strive like crazy to not only accumulate 30000 points, but do it before 20 others do. Its a mad rush, and guess what, you could kill yourself to try this....all to party's benefit, and still you may find:

A - despite ungodly hours of playing u still come up short at weeks end

B - U actually do accumulate 30k, only to find 20 others beat u to it

C - U may find yourself losing more as you try to reach goal due to pressured environment of having to generate more points by playing outside comfort level.

In all those scenarios, party wins HUUUGE....player loses.

Even if they just made of of the qualification criteria (30K or 20 limit) it would be fine, and each player would know they can get package if they fullfill obligation...but both together creates a drive to generate as much business for party at players expense.

I'll take a pass and not feed into their unethical business shenanigans.

daveymck
02-02-2005, 12:09 PM
I dont see it as being unethical, they are not forcing you to try and achieve the points.

To me its more a reward to their high rollers who probably play that much anyway, I will be surprised if a load of .5/1 players are now playing 12+ hours a day at 15/30 just cos of the promotion, particulary as most lower limit players dont have the 20,000 points to start at.

TylerD
02-02-2005, 12:12 PM
I think its genius on Party's part.

MicroBob
02-02-2005, 12:15 PM
I think they suck....unless, of course, I happen to get the prize in which case I think THEY ROCK!!

phillydilly
02-02-2005, 12:17 PM
i gotta disagree here

is it rediculous? yes
could you come close and not make it? yes
could you make it and 20 beat you to it? yes
will it generate A) tons of rake, or B) tons of refer a friend players? yes

all that being said,
do you know all this before you make a run at it? yes

I think its great that they are doing this. Its a much better prize than i think most were expecting.

put it this way, if someone would have posted a week ago.
Would you like it if party put 20 free Party Poker Million trips up for grabs, but insane clearing requirements? I think you would have a ton of hell yeahs.

Bottom line is it is very good for them, but there is a big prize if you can make it, and you know what the difficulties are if you try, if you dont like it, then dont try, no big deal.

MicroBob
02-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Plus....even if I don't get a prize...just think of ALL THOSE BEANIES I can order with my points.

Rudbaeck
02-02-2005, 12:49 PM
Anyone able to make it is probably clever enough to stop, think it over, and realize that they might very well be better off buying the package for $ instead.

Putting in 15 hour days 4-tabling 15/30 when you usually play 3-5 hours a day might (is likely to?) cause a downswing bigger than the dollar cost of the cruise and entry.

krazyace5
02-02-2005, 12:52 PM
It would be nice if you could actually see what the stuff looks like. Pics are way to small.

KingMedicine
02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
another thing i can see them pulling with this promotion is NOT posting on the client when the 20 trips are gone and waiting until the end of the 7 day period before saying that it is over.

one thing i can promise you is that if i were working on this promotion (which im not) i would be emailing party 15 times a day asking them if they have 20 takers yet.

PokerPaul
02-02-2005, 02:22 PM
thats a very good point.......didnt even think of that....

maybe they already have 20....

PokerPaul
02-02-2005, 02:42 PM
i agree with almost everything u say, and that is why i am not even gonna try for this knowing in advance what its gonna take.

But i still do think it is unethical they way they are doing this and taking advantage of some good loyal players to play off each other.

Its like....here you can have this reward because you are such a good customer........but not unless you give us tons more action in the next 7 days and give up your social life for us in that time.

Its like what air canada did to their elite customers last year. If all 5 or 6 air miles dedicated seats on a flight were already taken, they will 'allow' us elite club members to get a seat on that flight still for double the points...gee, thanks...i have the privilege of paying twice the price for the same thing.....the year before if you were elite they'd open up 1 additional one just because u are elite...now your priviliege is to pay double.

Somehow thats the way i see this party thing.....u can have it and they sugarcoat it as a reward, but your the one getting screwed over by them for it.

Reef
02-02-2005, 02:48 PM
that's why you work in 2 or 3 man teams ..

MicroBob
02-02-2005, 02:58 PM
I think you're being a bit over-dramatic about this.
If you don't like the number of hours necessary or whatever then obviously you don't have to do it.

I don't think it's too much different than the Stars tourney leader board. Recently they had a special top-100 tourney-players even wtih 4 seats for the WSOP up for grabs I believe. I'm fairly certain most of these players had to play a TON of tourneys throughout the week or month or whatever to qualify for this.

I think Party also has some kind of tourney leader-board that encourages more and more play.

Empire did the VIP points marathon through June. top 40 in points for the entire month got $400 I think or something like that. I gave it a start for a couple days and quickly saw I would really have to go out of my way to make it so I gave up since it wasn't worth it.

And that's the point really...it's up to the individual to decide if it's worth it. If you think the time-spent vs. the chances of winning it aren't worthwhile than don't do it.
Kind of like if someone offers me a hamburger for $72. I don't tell them how unethical they are for trying to rip me off. I make a decision where I basically say,
'son...that burger looks awfully good...but it ain't worth no 72-dollars now.'
Nobody is making me by the burger and nobody is making you play the points-promotion thing so I don't see what the big deal is.

Additionally, I think it's better than nothing.
Forever people around here have been observing that party doesn't even offer a points program. Then, when they finally get one, everyone is griping they are just crappy beanies and lame faux-suade jackets . now they are offering 20 seats to a $10k entry-tourney on a nice cruise-boat....and I think I'll have enough points after 5 days (not 7).

Don't know if I'll get the cruise or not (probably not) but if I don't I'm not going to blame party for roping me into a crappy promotion. That was my own decision.

I honestly don't see what there is to get so upset about here.

This is my last post of the day though...so if you come back with some amazingly insightful response i'm likely to miss it.

My long long day of raked-hands is done and I'm going to bed.

AngryCola
02-02-2005, 03:15 PM
Define unethical.

sthief09
02-02-2005, 03:29 PM
let's see. 24 points for 20 raked hands at 15/30 Jackpot tables. You can get 240 hands an hour, of which 160 are raked. so you get 192 points/hr. for 20,000 points that's about 100 hours, so 4 days of play more or less straight. it's doable if you're a speed fiend. of course, I assume there will be over 20, people who play straight through in teams. it's $11k for free. I think it's gonna be a crapshoot as far as who gets the trip and who plays 4 days straight of 15/30 jackpot tables and gets screwed. I would be royally pissed if I did that and didn't even get it.

citanul
02-02-2005, 03:40 PM
mostly i just find it funny that you wrote a several hundred word post and then instead of writing out "you" you wrote "U." wtf.

citanul

AngryCola
02-02-2005, 03:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
mostly i just find it funny that you wrote a several hundred word post and then instead of writing out "you" you wrote "U." wtf.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ha!

You're right. That's pretty bad.

TomBrooks
02-02-2005, 03:50 PM
I disagree that it is unethical for the reasons already stated. I agree it is very difficult to achieve. I would expect it to be difficult to win such a large prize. I think it's safe to assume PARTY hopes and expects to profit from the action generated. They are a business and everything they do is to make profit. Like every other business. I think that's fair as long as their honest and open up front about the contest rules and requirements.

TomBk

Pawtucket Pat
02-02-2005, 04:02 PM
There's nothing wrong with this. Clearly Party has some extra seats for the PPM that they don't want to leave empty. They want to fill them up, and at least make their money back on them. I'd imagine this little promotion will accomplish it. You have to give them credit, its pretty good business. On top of that, they're offering their players an opportunity, whether or not we take advantage of that is up to us.

slammedfire
02-02-2005, 04:12 PM
too bad it doesnt leave u enough time to deposit 1000$ like 100 times then withdrawl it 7 days later and u get 50,000 points

Wabby
02-02-2005, 07:37 PM
You think that is a coincidence?

Danielih
02-02-2005, 07:49 PM
Well or you could refer 15 people and get over 30k points. Much easier than playing...

Player12345
02-02-2005, 09:11 PM
i would be very surprised if there were any seats left. do you know how many college friends i could get to sign up clean and legit accounts for a pizza?