PDA

View Full Version : Best Hum Album... ***WARNING - MARGINAL POKER CONTENT***

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-02-2005, 11:49 AM
*cross-posted by accident from/in Books & Software*

Alright, so I like a few Hum songs and SS2 is going to cost me $23.32 on B&N online, which means I need another purchase to get over $25 and get free shipping - well played, B&N. I could either get that book on card manipulation so that I can learn how to spot a cheat (not to cheat myself, of course), or I can get a Hum cd. My dilemma here is that I recognize and like one song from each of 3 albums (do they only have 3?) and I have no idea about anything else.

Stars from You'd Prefer An Astronaut
Green To Me from Downward is Heavenward
and
Winder from Electra 2000 (w/ bonus track)

Which is their best album? Which one should I get?

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-02-2005, 11:50 AM
Also, not to downright ASK for my thread to go off-coarse, but what would you think of a guy if you walked into his house, saw a stack of roughly 15-20 poker books and one book on card manipulation mixed in there? Assuming you know him at least as well as you guys know me, which I don't know how much that says, would you believe him when he said it's so he can spot a cheat and not so he can cheat himself? Isn't it only responsible for him if he's going to play in random home games and 'social' clubs? I'm most likely going to get one of the Hum CDs anyway, but I thought this'd be interesting at least to get some opinions on.

lucas9000
02-02-2005, 11:53 AM
overall i think downward is heavenward is their best album. i really like so you'd prefer an astronaut though, so you can't really go wrong with either. but downward is probably #1 to get. electra 2000 is so-so...good, but definitely ranks below the other two.

hum rules.

lucas9000
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, not to downright ASK for my thread to go off-coarse, but what would you think of a guy if you walked into his house, saw a stack of roughly 15-20 poker books and one book on card manipulation mixed in there? Assuming you know him at least as well as you guys know me, which I don't know how much that says, would you believe him when he said it's so he can spot a cheat and not so he can cheat himself? Isn't it only responsible for him if he's going to play in random home games and 'social' clubs?

[/ QUOTE ]

depending on my impression of the guy, i'd be inclined to believe him. i've read on cheating methods like base-dealing, etc online so i to at least know what to look out for. it's a legitimate concern, imo, even if you never end up encountering a cheat.

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-02-2005, 11:56 AM
Thanks, Lucas. I was waiting to hear from you and nothumb (mmbtone?). You came through pretty quickly.

Shajen
02-02-2005, 12:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Also, not to downright ASK for my thread to go off-coarse, but what would you think of a guy if you walked into his house, saw a stack of roughly 15-20 poker books and one book on card manipulation mixed in there? Assuming you know him at least as well as you guys know me, which I don't know how much that says, would you believe him when he said it's so he can spot a cheat and not so he can cheat himself? Isn't it only responsible for him if he's going to play in random home games and 'social' clubs? I'm most likely going to get one of the Hum CDs anyway, but I thought this'd be interesting at least to get some opinions on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on Patrick, it's not rocket science.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Uhm, it wouldn't bother me any, unless said person lived like a slob and these books were literally all over the place.

In which case I'd say run, not walk away from there. Nothing but bad news. But, if said person seems pretty normal otherwise, and their personality is of the type that can be obsessive, then sure, it's no big thing.

Sincerely,

Not NT, orMMBTONETWOFOURNINETEEN

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PS Chipotle sucks. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

IndieMatty
02-02-2005, 12:59 PM
The first one. You'd Prefer an Astro..

Downward is good too...

also try and find Centaur.

IndieMatty
02-02-2005, 01:00 PM
COUGH COUGH!

lucas9000
02-02-2005, 01:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't electra 2000 their first one?

decigam
02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
ANyone who is going to cheat competently will probably have as many magi/handling books as poker books. Donīt worry its really hard to cheat and not get caught by a competent observer (someone who is not totally drunk) unless you put A LOT of time in practicing the moves.

Hope this helps,

decigam (amateur magician)

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-02-2005, 01:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
According to bn.com, the release dates are as follows:

You'd Prefer an Astronaut - 1995
Downward is Heavenward - 1997
Electra 2000 (at least the bonus track version) - 2002

lucas9000
02-02-2005, 02:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's the rub. the original release of electra 2000 was 1993 (according to allmusic.com and rs (http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/_/id/173409/hum?pageid=rs.Artistcage&pageregion=triple1&rnd=11 07367244926&has-player=unknown)).

captZEEbo1
02-02-2005, 02:05 PM
downward is heavenward

Patrick del Poker Grande
02-02-2005, 02:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

there's the rub. the original release of electra 2000 was 1993 (according to allmusic.com and rs (http://www.rollingstone.com/reviews/album/_/id/173409/hum?pageid=rs.Artistcage&pageregion=triple1&rnd=11 07367244926&has-player=unknown)).

[/ QUOTE ]
I figured as much. 2002 seems kind of late for a release from them anyway, doesn't it?

lucas9000
02-02-2005, 03:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I figured as much. 2002 seems kind of late for a release from them anyway, doesn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i'm pretty sure they'd broken up by then.