PDA

View Full Version : Another Chip Label post...

jalsing
02-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Just posting the obligitory chip label post for comments/critique:

http://img125.exs.cx/img125/574/allchips1fb.jpg

Thanks!

Nickmast
02-02-2005, 12:02 PM
make the skull a little more evil looking. more realistic. Nice design though.

jalsing
02-02-2005, 12:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
make the skull a little more evil looking. more realistic. Nice design though.

[/ QUOTE ]

arrgh...a bit of a sore spot on that subject. I wanted a cool evil skull too, but it was a compromise with the wife. She not a skull fan like I am and thought it would be too 'scary' looking. She wanted butterflies /images/graemlins/confused.gif

The compromise was a more friendly skull like you see here.

Diggslick
02-02-2005, 01:24 PM
I, for one, like the skull. But then I have never been one for "Biker cool."

fishfeet
02-02-2005, 01:25 PM
whi-cha (ok, so how do you make a sound for a whip? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif)

Just kidding. They look nice.

Quick general question about these labels.
Are these basically stickers that you can put on your chips? Like the cheap eBay ones... the ones I have /images/graemlins/confused.gif

If so, I really want to look into the idea of doing this!

jalsing
02-02-2005, 01:55 PM
yup, 1" labels... It's all the rage these days. Some chips such as the Nexgens and the ones I bought (9g blank stripes from pokernstuff.com) have 1" recessed middles for application of such labels.

samjjones
02-02-2005, 01:58 PM
It cost me about $100 to label my 2150 chips, but it was worth it. They really jazz up the tired old Ebay chips (I have the dice striped), and make them look cool and unique. Also helps with security, since EVERYBODY has the Ebay chips, and you don't have to worry about somebody slipping in a few big denomination chips during a NLHE tournament.

Lottery Larry
02-02-2005, 02:16 PM
How much do you want the skull to stand out? If more then darken the white chips and light green bill (the $5 and $500 work best color-wise to highlight the skull)

If you want to please the wife, put a small butterfly on the hat, in the position where a feather or decoration might go?

Again, why do the denominations? give yourself the flexibility of not having them locked into one value

Lottery Larry
02-02-2005, 02:19 PM
"and you don't have to worry about somebody slipping in a few big denomination chips during a NLHE tournament."

I've wondered about this- even with the labels on, this would still be fairly easy to do. If you stack a fake or two in the middle of legal chips, it might not be discovered until someone scoops up the pot or when THEY accidently put it in later because they didn't notice.

How much would it suck to be the player that gets an illegal chip removed from their stack, along with the suspicion you'd carry at the game, when you didn't bring the illegal chip in?

fishfeet
02-02-2005, 02:29 PM
well, of my large group of poker friends, I was the first to buy any "real" chips.
I bought the suited chips on eBay. I got a great deal on them at the time, but by todays prices, I waay overpaid.
2 of my other friends have bought sets as well.. which was great because my 500 chips was getting too small for our game. We now host very large tournys and are playing more cash games. Its very low stakes cash game.. if everyone cashed in for $5 (which I never do, but some people Like playing wtih 50bb stacks) it would be ok. I like to cash in for over $10. More chips are needed.

Since I wont have access to the chips my friends have for long, I will soon me left with just my crappy 500. I could either:
A: label my chips so they look a lot better. Then buy 500 more of the same kind of chip and label those. Cheapest alternative.
B: Buy 1000 of a new kind of chip that is better, and label those.

Everyone is talking about NegGens. Are they really far and above other metal insert chips? Do they still ahve that really annoyng ching sound? Are they slippery?

Anyone offer a sample of these chips (would need at least 10)
Im not sure sure I like the fact that they are 12g.
I actually want lighter. maybe a 9-10g chip.
Perhaps when I have over a grand to spend on chips (one day!) Ill get something really nice.

So are these NexGens really worth the price and are far superior to my crappy, hard plastsic, clingy sounding, slippery, suited eBay chips?

jalsing
02-02-2005, 03:29 PM
You can get single nextgens at 5stardeal.com for like .26 each. Order a few. I don't like them for a few reasons. Mostly, I just didn't want my chips to say LAS VEGAS on them. Also, the composite material can be gauged with say your fingernail, I just didn't like that type of feel. Also, some of the colors were kind of bland, and I didn't like the edgespots, too fake.

the chips I got are a bit more expensive than the nextgens (not much, i got 2x500 sets for $119 each, about .25/chip) and they are 9 grams. Only come in white/black/red/blue/green however. The purple chip you see above is the same chip, they sell in purple with a vegas themed label. I had a sample, and found that i could remove the label with some effort, so I got a sleeve of only 50 of those to convert so it won't be that much work.

jalsing
02-02-2005, 03:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How much do you want the skull to stand out? If more then darken the white chips and light green bill (the $5 and $500 work best color-wise to highlight the skull)

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, still working on the final art as far as that goes. Waiting on the chips to get a better color match.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to please the wife, put a small butterfly on the hat, in the position where a feather or decoration might go?

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe, that's what I promised her, too..I told her it was on he BACK of the hat...

[ QUOTE ]
Again, why do the denominations? give yourself the flexibility of not having them locked into one value

[/ QUOTE ]

Still tossing that idea around. My first batch of labels was skull/hat and text only w/out denoms. Now I'm trying to jazz it up a bit, still haven't decided...

fishfeet
02-02-2005, 08:36 PM
Well, I just decided to order 40 of these NexGens. For $14 (including shipping) I had to see them. I could have gotten far less, but wanted enough to see all colors and be able to play with them, shuffle them, stack them.. ect.

Any other chips 5star deal offers that I should consider getting a custom sample from in the same price range...

PinataUT
02-02-2005, 09:25 PM
The river poker tour would give you a slightly different look for your reds (really red v. 8000s), blue, and white (with a very light sky blue edge spot). I like the 8000s better than the river poker tour though. Get some and check for yourself. You might like one of them enough to swap it in... (different rim mold but with a strong label to unite the chipset that shouldn't be that big a deal)

Cin0s3
02-02-2005, 10:05 PM
Hey jalsing what did you end up doing with the other labels I printed for ya? Is this for a new set?

jalsing
02-03-2005, 08:50 AM
Yes, I used the others already. I had a set of the cheap walmart suited chips. I recently purchased a set of the striped blanks from Pokernstuff, so I'm jazzing up the labels for the new chips.

Eric H
02-03-2005, 11:24 AM
Just a general question about the labels. Are they printed on clear stock so that the chip color shows through? Do they look like stick-ons when placed on the chips?

Thanks!

Eric

Cin0s3
02-03-2005, 11:33 AM
Hi Eric, no they are printed on a white base. Unfortunately clear 1" labels are rather milky and look horrible on chips. Here is what my chips look like with the labels.

http://www.qtimls.com/chipdes/jasonschips.jpg

Fins
02-03-2005, 12:07 PM
Sweet chips Jason... you're a pro /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jalsing... The design looks good but I'm not crazy about it just not my taste. The $25... I didn't know what was behind the skull at first til I realized they were money bags. The $100... I might consider another image backdrop here... maybe a pile of bones?

- Fins