PDA

View Full Version : Stars $3-$6 Bottom Set

UMTerp
02-02-2005, 10:35 AM
Stars $3-$6 game. It's my first 20 minutes or so at the table, no prior information on my opponent involved in this hand. He does have the biggest stack by far at the table (~$2300), and seems to be entering a lot of pots. 9 handed. I've built my stack up to about $900 at this point.

Large stack limps UTG, two MP limps, I limp on the button with 6 /images/graemlins/club.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. SB folds, BB checks his option.

FLOP ($33 in pot): A /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG bets $30, two limpers fold, I raise to $110, UTG calls.

TURN ($253): 8 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

UTG checks, I check.

RIVER ($253): 8 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

UTG checks, I bet $180, UTG check-raises to $420, I call.

Comments on all streets appreciated.

Golf_Jax
02-02-2005, 10:47 AM
I would have pushed with his raise on the river. Sounds like hes overplaying and possibly trying to buy with a weak ace. Not worried about anything other than that. Let me know results.

ggbman
02-02-2005, 10:50 AM
I think you are ahead here more then you are beinhd. He could have a hand like A8, but i still think you should push the river because he's pot committed and your good most of the time.

UMTerp
02-02-2005, 11:07 AM
Also, is my turn check automatic here, or should I be protecting in case another diamond or a 7 come on the river?

AZK
02-02-2005, 01:01 PM
What is he calling your 110 raise with on the flop? I very rarely fire on the turn with a betting sequence like this since the flush (or a higher set) are my opponents likely holdings (assuming he's decent and this isn't AK). Your turn check is automatic, if you are behind, you want to be able to fill up cheap, if you bet and he raises hard you will rarely have the odds to draw to the boat, I like it and play it the same. On the river, you can't really be afraid of a higher set, I definitely put my entire stack in...results?

UMTerp
02-02-2005, 01:19 PM
I was pretty surprised when he tabled AA.

I guess I can take solace in the fact that I didn't lose my whole stack there. I can't really imagine a way I could've lost less - I had to be the river when checked to me, and it'd be damn hard to find a fold there without knowing more about my opponent.

I think he played the hard fairly well too, assuming he was intending to limp-reraise preflop. Or maybe he should've gotten more money in on the flop. I dunno. He certainly played it deceptively at least!