PDA

View Full Version : A party 6max hand, flopped nut flush but board pairs on turn

jhall23
02-02-2005, 10:30 AM
I made this river decision alot more difficult than it should have been I think.

Villian was a loose passive/aggressive (54%/3%/2.5 pfa)

I thought flop was perfect to allow a free card, but unfortunately that turned into a paired board. What would be a good liine for the rest of the hand?

As opposed to what I did I would think leading or check/raising the turn would be better. Or if not just check calling a reasonable bet on the river. I really have no idea where I am at this point but after the river raise I have a feeling I am beat.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $0.5 BB (6 max, 4 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

SB ($19.42)
Hero ($52.12)
UTG ($34.66)
Button ($41.3)

Preflop: Hero is BB with K/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($1.50) 2/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $3</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $3.

Turn: ($7.50) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets $6</font>, Hero calls $6.

River: ($19.50) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises to $20</font> Hero ........

Raiser
02-02-2005, 10:48 AM
Gotta call that river raise. He could easily have trip Aces. You've done nothing to show that you have the flush, so he probably thinks his A is good.

I'd probably lead on the turn and call a raise, then check/call the river. I'm not sure that's right though?

jhall23
02-02-2005, 10:58 AM
Yeah I forgot to say that it was clear that I had to call the raise since I was getting such good odds and it's unlikely he puts me on a flush. My real problems are what is a better line for me.

SynSid
02-02-2005, 11:39 AM
You call. No point re-raising as villain is as good as all-in anyway: all a reraise would achieve is allow him to see your cards if he's beaten you.

I can't see him having AA, but given how loose he is pre-flop obviously A2, A7 and A9 are possible as are 22, 77, 99 - but so are A3, A4 etc and 2 spades.

His betting is pretty believable for any of these hands - as with none of them would he want you to see the turn, hence the overbet. The size of the flop bet leads me more towards 2 hearts or A2/A7/AK: a bet that size with any other A is pushing it a bit.

There's no doubt at all that you have the odds to call his re-raise - if your stacks had been deeper and you'd raised more on river and been re-raised I'd be thinking a bit harder. You're being given approx 5:1 odds on the call - to fold you'd have to be very certain he didn't have 2 spades or an Ax (other than A2,A7,A9).

I'd have been very tempted to raise back at him on flop or even push. His overbet showed he liked his hand (or it was a total bluff in which case letting him see turn would be unlikely to get you any more cash anyway). Would he have folded 2 pairs, a flush or a set if you'd pushed on flop after his raise? I can't see him folding the flush there (which is the one hand you 100% want to stay in anyway).

meow_meow
02-02-2005, 02:51 PM
He's got about $5 left after his river raise. Choice should be between calling and putting him all-in. I'd go with the latter - he can't fold anything but a straight bluff for 5 more, and he's got a full house far less than half the time here.

SeattleJake
02-02-2005, 03:21 PM
newbie response:

Or even check-raise the turn. But I'd definitely try to end it right there. If you get re-raised then you can maybe put him on the full house and get out. Otherwise check-call the river as suggested.

Huskiez
02-02-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought flop was perfect to allow a free card, but unfortunately that turned into a paired board.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have to disagree here. You should slowplay if there's no chance of someone drawing out on you and if some other cards will improve your opponents hand.

In this situation, no one is going to feel strongly about catching a pair on the turn because the A is already out there on the flop.

Also, if the turn comes with a spade, your hand is killed because you're holding both the K and Q. This makes it unlikely that someone is willing to put a lot of chips in with an inferior flush.

Why not lead on the flop into the aggressive postflop Villain, and hopefully get it in right there or on the turn? It's unlikely anyone would put you on the nuts.

While a paired board is one you don't especially want to see, you have to realize that it is four handed so I would think you're good here most of the time.

Since UTG only has $5 left here, I would raise all in. It's more likely Villain has trips, a flush, or an underpair (none of which he would fold) than a full house.

By the way, you might want to consider raising preflop, because you more than likely have the best hand here.

jhall23
02-02-2005, 06:22 PM
Thanks for the detailed reply. I don't think it crossed my mind at the time that a flush card would probably kill any action, but I agree it would. If I lead out 3 like he does he probably wouldn't put me on the flush.

As for pre-flop this is a hand I raise about 1/2 the time and check 1/2 the time from the blinds to mix it up. I find I can usually win a decent pot when I check if the board flops me top pair as it is rare for someone to have AK and they have a tendency to call down or bet out with Kx.

Dr_Freeze
02-02-2005, 06:34 PM
I like huskiez whole line, except that I would raise this pre-flop most of the time. KQ suited is quite often the best hand at 6-max.

-Freeze