PDA

View Full Version : Monster hand on SB, table folds around, blinds are small, what now?

dcoles11
02-02-2005, 06:52 AM
This has been happening alot to me lately so I wanted to hear different ideas on what you guys do. Its early in the tourney and the blinds are small, your dealt JJ-AA in the SB, and the table folds around to you. What do you guys do? I'd also like to hear what you do with middle pairs 77-10-10 and AK-AQ in the same situation. Thanks

Pepsquad
02-02-2005, 07:01 AM
Blinds under 50-100? I min-raise to encourage a call.

Bigger than 100-200? Make a 3-4XBB bet to represent a steal attempt. Sometimes you'll get surprising action from the BB with a larger raise.

parappa
02-02-2005, 07:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This has been happening alot to me lately so I wanted to hear different ideas on what you guys do. Its early in the tourney and the blinds are small, your dealt JJ-AA in the SB, and the table folds around to you. What do you guys do? I'd also like to hear what you do with middle pairs 77-10-10 and AK-AQ in the same situation. Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

I just usually raise to 3xbb and hope he has a hand. If he's really aggressive, I might limp or miniraise hoping he'll make a move, but since it's early you probably don't know that so I just make a raise and hope he gives me some loose action. In spite of having a good hand, this is not a hugely profitable spot in my experience.

dcoles11
02-02-2005, 07:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds under 50-100? I min-raise to encourage a call.

Bigger than 100-200? Make a 3-4XBB bet to represent a steal attempt. Sometimes you'll get surprising action from the BB with a larger raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been doing what you said when the blinds are of a bigger size, attempting to make it look like im stealing to get the guy to play back at me. My biggest problem is when the blinds are small. I raise they fold and I get no chips. I don't raise, i'm scared they will flop something amazing because I let them in the hand. Probably should just pass it off as bad luck when you get in that situation and accept the fact that your not going to make a ton of chips with your monster this time.

parappa
02-02-2005, 07:12 AM
Oh, forgot to mention--I also like to show here if he folds. I don't really want to get tagged as a blind-stealer this early.

Pepsquad
02-02-2005, 07:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I just usually raise to 3xbb and hope he has a hand. If he's really aggressive, I might limp or miniraise hoping he'll make a move, but since it's early you probably don't know that so I just make a raise and hope he gives me some loose action. In spite of having a good hand, this is not a hugely profitable spot in my experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea if the blinds are still less than 50-100...go all-in! Yes, of course he'll be folding this time but I'm betting he'll remember it and he sure as hell doesn't think you played a monster this way.
If he's a thinking player, this could set up a hand in the future (when the blinds are bigger) and you get another great hand. Push again - only now he's probably more willing to call bullsh*t with a marginal hand because he's seen you do it in the past.
I'm just thinking out loud here, but if you're not going to make money off of it this time, this still might be a way to set him up for a future play. Thoughts?

Pep.

dcoles11
02-02-2005, 11:09 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's an idea if the blinds are still less than 50-100...go all-in! Yes, of course he'll be folding this time but I'm betting he'll remember it and he sure as hell doesn't think you played a monster this way.
If he's a thinking player, this could set up a hand in the future (when the blinds are bigger) and you get another great hand. Push again - only now he's probably more willing to call bullsh*t with a marginal hand because he's seen you do it in the past.
I'm just thinking out loud here, but if you're not going to make money off of it this time, this still might be a way to set him up for a future play. Thoughts?

Pep. [/quote

I like your set up idea, people get pissed when you raise their blinds and i've seen it cause some aggressive play just out of frustration.