PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 JJ out of position and undercarded and dead lost.

mythrilfox
02-02-2005, 04:18 AM
No particular read on Villain, he seems solid so far. Nothing out of line.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP2 ($109.7)
Hero ($147.6)
CO ($97)
Button ($242.6)
SB ($149.45)
BB ($50.85)
UTG ($102.65)
UTG+1 ($85.15)
MP1 ($98)

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with J/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls $8, SB (poster) calls $7, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: ($26) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $20</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $55</font>, SB folds, Hero calls $35.

Turn: ($136) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets $55</font>, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $191

Kaz The Original
02-02-2005, 04:27 AM
Calling on the flop cannot be right.

mythrilfox
02-02-2005, 04:41 AM
I don't think I've sufficiently outlined the complexity of this hand. I know Villain is a semi-thinking player. Here are a few things that went through my head as I was trying to make my decision.

1. Earlier in the night I had AKs and open-raised to $9. $60 stack behind me min-reraises. I reluctantly call. Flop comes K98. I check, he pushes for $50. I sit there and start talking to the table... things like "god, I have no idea what to do here. My gut says call, but all reason says fold." With like 1 second left I decide to call. He has AKs as well and we split. Villain mentions something like "Oh, you had to call there" or something. We start talking about his possible holdings, etc. I say I was worried about AA, not 77 or 88. Basically I know he's observing my play.

2. A few hands earlier I lost a 9 high flush to A high flush. Then I went on a semi-rush, so it might appear like I'm on tilt, although I'm not. This is the third hand in a row I've played aggressively after losing a big one. He could put me on overcards or just plain nothing at all.

3. Taking all this into account, I decided to call the flop bet. I also didn't think that he would really raise the flop with a set, as smooth-call is standard. My plan was to check/call an all-in (I had $85 behind), or push a non-scary river if he checks behind. But when he bet the $55 on the turn, I did a complete u-turn. Why would he bet $55 as opposed to my full $85? Only if he thought he might lure my stack in from 2 half bets instead of 1 full bet. He might have also been raising the flop to charge a draw. The size of that bet did not sit well with me, so I folded.

Tilt
02-02-2005, 10:47 AM
You can't call that flop bet and then fold the turn.

Based on what you have said about the villain he could easily have 67, 87, or AQ/K, or a draw here. I think you should reraise him on the flop and set him all in on the turn. You are ahead of a player like this at least half the time here. Folding to his flop raise is an option, but investing partially in the hand and then folding to a benign card is not an option IMO.

MyMindIsGoing
02-02-2005, 11:01 AM
I realy can't see any point calling on the flop. You only have 2 outs if you are behind. If you think he has a draw, reraise all in, if you think he flopped set, then fold. As I see it this is a raise or fold situation. If he has a set, you only have 2 outs for a higher set. He could have a higher overpair than you but most people would raise preflop with QQ KK or AA. If he doesnt have a heart higher than a jack you also have a backdoor flushdraw. I would put him on something like AT of hearts here. Could be very wrong though.

mythrilfox
02-02-2005, 05:41 PM
The reason I flat-called the flop was because I didn't think he had anything at all, and I thought the risk of giving a free card would be balanced out by the bluff equity I get by checking to him on the turn. However, I didn't follow up my plan and just completely went off my rocker when he bet $55.

Results? I fold, he shows KJ of clubs.