PDA

View Full Version : Two 99 hands

kidcolin
02-02-2005, 02:52 AM
how are my lines on these? Am I overly aggressive?

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">CO 3-bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

The button is awful. CO is typical tight/aggressive preflop. I didn't feel he had a big hand here, because he hesitated a bit with the 3 bet, and he had been pretty automatic with reraising with AK, AA, KK, etc. I put him on an AJ type hand, or maybe TT, 88-66.

Flop: (10.40 SB) 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 3/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">CO bets</font>, Button calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

I like my check raise, but was leading out a better option? I thought there was a fair chance I was ahead, and the check raise my get a JJ or TT to fold. I'm a bit worried about the button's call, but he's really bad. He could easily have a weak pocket pair, or no pair at all.

Turn: (8.20 BB) 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

River: (11.20 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO calls, Button calls.

Is this a decent value bet? Or should I check with the intention to call?
Final Pot: 14.20 BB

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>.

Flop: (7 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button folds, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, SB calls.

SB had been at the table a while, but he hadn't played many hands. I thought this check-raise could easily be a steal attempt or a semi-bluff.

Turn: (6.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

I thought firing one more bullet was worth a shot.

River: (8.50 BB) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Fine check? If he bet, easy fold, right?
Final Pot: 8.50 BB

Results in white:
<font color="white">
Hand #1: Me: 9c 9s
CO: 8d 8h
button: Qd Jc

Hand #2: Me: 9h 9d
SB: Ah Th
</font>

Michael Davis
02-02-2005, 02:57 AM
In hand #1 the checkraise doesn't make much sense. That is a pretty damn good flop for your hand, but it's still vulnerable. Why give a free card? At the very least, a checkraise is going to tie them to their hands, and the pot's already big enough that you want to take it down now or on the turn rather than on the river or not at all.

In hand #2, you should bet the river. Nothing about his play indicates an ace, and everything about it indicates a flush draw. Plus, he can't checkraise bluff at all, so it's an easy fold to a raise. You will pick up calls from weaker pairs here.

-Michael

Lmn55d
02-02-2005, 03:08 AM
Michael, in hand 2 do you think 3betting the flop is better than simply calling down (or possibly calling flop and raising turn which I don't like doing too much in these games)? If so, why?

Michael Davis
02-02-2005, 03:24 AM
I don't know. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I think threebetting and calling down are viable options. If you threebet, there are some situations later where you should be getting away from your hand. If you can't get away from your hand (because of your opponent), I like calling down.

-Michael

Jeff W
02-02-2005, 05:21 AM
Hand 1:

If you have a read that he doesn't have a big hand pre flop, then you should cap it. The weak button is subsidizing your equity.

On the flop, you should lead and give CO a chance to raise you.

The turn and river are fairly obvious value bets.

Hand 2:

If you can't trust the player in hand 2 to play straightforwardly, then I would call down. Whether I called or three-bet the flop I would bet or raise that turn card because it is more likely that SB is on a resteal when the A pairs.

I would bet the river for value and plan to fold to a raise. However, if he bet into me, I would call because I think the pot is laying me odds to call in case he's betting with a pair &lt;Aces+bluffing equity.