PDA

View Full Version : professional fold

greg nice
02-01-2005, 11:16 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

BB ($97)
UTG ($96.52)
MP ($140.83)
Hero ($100)
Button ($139.88)
SB ($82.5)

Preflop: Hero is CO with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif. Hero posts a blind of $2. SB posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero (poster) checks, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($6) 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $10</font>, BB folds, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $16

tbach24
02-01-2005, 11:18 PM
You should've raised pre-flop.

greg nice
02-01-2005, 11:19 PM
interesting, i never raise that

fimbulwinter
02-01-2005, 11:20 PM
those blinds should already be in your stack.

That said, such bets have been crappy twopair and sometimes shorthanded semibluffs in my experience. good fold long term i think.

fim

tbach24
02-01-2005, 11:20 PM
I'm not a 6-max player, but I talk a lot with them, and the key to it (as I was informed) is agression pre-flop, and then playing solid on the flop, turn, river. You're from late and you've got a marginal holding. I think you should raise.

greg nice
02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they would be on any flop if it gets checked to me

i need to open raise more

Kaz The Original
02-01-2005, 11:22 PM
This makes me smile. It's these hands that add tremendously to your win rate (and I'm not being sarcastic).

greg nice
02-01-2005, 11:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
the key to it (as I was informed) is agression pre-flop, and then playing solid on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

problem ive found for example, is that i raise preflop, undercards flop, do i bet or not? often i will bet and some blind will have check/called and im just spilling chips. i hate spilling chips at 50bb stacks

tbach24
02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
It depends on the flop texture.

tap tap tappy
02-01-2005, 11:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This makes me smile. It's these hands that add tremendously to your win rate (and I'm not being sarcastic).

[/ QUOTE ]
In the sense that folding something such as this allows you to plug some leaks and save chips long term that may have gotten burnt up betting into a pot/situation like this?

greg nice
02-01-2005, 11:33 PM
i suppose i will explain the fold, even though it turns out the preflop decision was more interesting

here basically the bet size tipped me off to a fold. by him overbetting the pot into two others it seems to me hes showing some real strength. my hand is pretty much a pile of shiit. if he had bet $5 perhaps i wouldve called and seen his action on the turn. his $10 bet only feels like hes gonna follow up with anohter pot bet on the turn, next thing i know my stack is threatened all because of a measly $5.7 pot on the flop.. ill pass and give it to him the times he has QJ

greg nice
02-01-2005, 11:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It depends on the flop texture.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok another example:

i raise my KJo, one of the blinds call. flop comes K high with a flush draw. he checks i pot it he calls. turn non flush. he checks i check. river blank he bets pot into me. now im stuck with a decision and if im wrong and hes got KQ half my stack is gone.

TheWorstPlayer
02-02-2005, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

they would be on any flop if it gets checked to me

i need to open raise more

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I just want to pick the nit that you shouldn't post a blind out of turn here. Second, and more importantly, you are saying that you will bet any flop when checked to. That really is only +EV I think if you think you have the best hand preflop. Given your late position, people are going to call a flop bet and wait to see your action on the turn quite often. What will be your action on the turn?

Since I agree that you likely DO have the best hand preflop, just raise it up preflop. I raise almost any two broadways preflop in the CO unless the table character makes it obviously unprofitable.

fimbulwinter
02-02-2005, 01:05 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the key to it (as I was informed) is agression pre-flop, and then playing solid on the flop

[/ QUOTE ]

problem ive found for example, is that i raise preflop, undercards flop, do i bet or not? often i will bet and some blind will have check/called and im just spilling chips. i hate spilling chips at 50bb stacks

[/ QUOTE ]

Scary flops you miss:

Headup - Bet
3 way or more - Check

Nonscary flops you miss:

Headup - Bet
3 way checked to you last to act - Bet
3 way checked to you 2nd last to act - Bet
3 way you're first to act - Check, bet nonscary turn card if checked around
more than 3 way - Check, don't bet turn unless you do hit

Scary flops you hit:

Headup - Bet
3 way - Bet

Nonscary flops you hit:

Headup, first to act - Bet
Headup, second to act - Check or Bet
3 way, first to act - Bet or Check
3 way, second to act - Bet
3 way, last - Bet
more - Bet

Defaults, as always, are meant to be broken

fimbulwinter
02-02-2005, 01:09 AM
bet the turn, check the river. if he bets the river after you just checked the turn through, he's most likely bluffing as you're trying to induce a bluff to make money off your marginal hand, thus you call every time and are right most times, dragging a nice pot.

don't always look for monsters under the bed; in order oflikelyness his holdings here are:
flush draw
dominated king
dominating king

don't you like your situation?

fim

greg nice
02-02-2005, 01:17 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Second, and more importantly, you are saying that you will bet any flop when checked to. That really is only +EV I think if you think you have the best hand preflop. Given your late position, people are going to call a flop bet and wait to see your action on the turn quite often.

[/ QUOTE ]

i probably misspoke.. i guess it depends on the flop texture as to when i would bet there (just as the other poster suggested had i raised pf). just going by feel, i think players on party are just as likely to call to see my turn action whether i raised or not pf.

very often i will raise pf with AK and bet a K rainbow flop to see people call and then fold on the turn and im left baffled as to what they are calling with.

do you think the strength youve shown pf might be offset by the opponents knowning a raisers tendency to autobet the flop? i also think people care less about the small pots when its checked to a late bettor. i dunno could be negligible.