PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate Bet vs. Golden Palace

gmetken
02-01-2005, 06:54 PM
Hello all. Been playing at Golden Palace Poker for over a year now. Been doing great until very recently. A bizarre string of simply unbelievable cards have come up. To the point where, based on *certain* flops and my hole cards, I know the exact next two cards - every time. In any event, I was thinking about moving over to Ultimate Bet. Any thoughts? How are the players over there? This may sound dumb, butI would prefer to play against better players.
Thanks!

TrailofTears
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
Ahhhhhhh. No you wouldn't. Not if you want to make easy(ier) money playing online poker. You just have to adjust your game to the level of your opponents. That means realizing that they might not follow betting patterns, hands, aggression levels, etc. You have to learn to play tight and aggressive, meaning you don't play marginal hands and you get your money in when you have the best hand and best chance at winning the pot. (Alternatively, if you are accustomed to the game you can play smart-loose aggressive, but that is another talk another time and one that should be given by a better player than me.) Where was I? Oh yeah, I understand the bad streak, as we all do on here, and if you want to change sites, that is obviously fine. I would definitely suggest sticking around here and reading as many posts as you can, as well as posting hands that you felt uncomfortable in or questioned your play (don't post just bad beats, everyone has those, but rather hands that you don't know if you played it correctly, both winning hands or losing hands.)

Also, try giving some more information about your poker preferences, such as what level you play at (either blind sizes or max-buyin level), 6-max or full-ring games, etc. These bits of information will help people answer your questions.

Other than that, welcome to the forums! Also, I apologize if this came across as condescending at all, as I did not intend for that. Take care and best wishes.

- ToT

booger
02-01-2005, 07:14 PM
I'd never leave a site where I knew the exact fourth and fifth street cards were going to be before my opponents!!

amoeba
02-01-2005, 07:18 PM
To the other posters,

Please do not add posts to an obviously well disguised advertisement.

To the OP, good try at plugging your site but not good enough.

TrailofTears
02-01-2005, 07:23 PM
In my defense, you did say "obviously well disguised," which is a bit paradoxical. Nonetheless, I feel used. I am such a sucker at trying to help out new players and get so tired of hearing "I would rather play against better players" that I just went into autopilot for a minute. DAMNIT!

- ToT

Leo Bello
02-01-2005, 10:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'd never leave a site where I knew the exact fourth and fifth street cards were going to be before my opponents!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice catch... me neither.

gmetken
02-01-2005, 11:45 PM
LOL. I am not advertising. I am a legit player who plays on Golden Palace as the name Bloo Sundae. I normally play 9 handed .25/.50 NL. Here is an example of my tight play gone bad. Keep in mind I have no problem tossing hands like AK and KK preflop. I have AA UTG and raise 5x. Only CO calls. The flop comes down A29 rainbow. I bet the pot and the cutoff calls. The turn is a 7 completing the rainbow. Again I bet the pot and the CO calls. Final card is a 2 and the CO makes his full house because he called my 5x raise with a 72 suited. Because he called the pot with a 22 on the flop, etc. I know I'm leaving some stuff unanswered here but I'm trying to keep this short. Now imagine playing somewhere for 11 months and doing great overall and then losing 90% of premum hands in this exact same manner (i.e. premium hands against ultra chasers catching miracle runner runner for two weeks in a row). Just feels fishy to me. Am I overreacting? And if not, I pose my original question... How is Ultimate Bet? And again, this is not an ad. I picked it because I am a fan of Helmuth and they have a 40% bonus right now (I hate even saying that as it might get taken as an ad). Also, please keep in mind I already am a member of Poker Stars. Thank you...

Garland
02-01-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
How is Ultimate Bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

As a regular player of UB who has played over 25K hands, I'd say it's my regular place to play NL if for nothing else it's my home and I always have a bonus that clears well and I have a good win rate there, and I enjoy 100xBB stacks.

When I deviated and played Prima for its $300 sign-up bonus, I found the games to be more fishy and passive, which was good for me. However, I don't have any long-term results to say that I definitely like it better. It could have been a holiday thing.

Party (+skins) is better than UB, but only has 50xBB thus lessening the skill level. I play the NL25 when clearing bonuses there.

I don't have any long-term Stars play to support any conclusions.

Garland

wegs the wegs
02-02-2005, 12:46 AM
You are me 4 months ago!

I started on Pokerstars for there freerolls and fake chips, just for fun. I then went to Goldenpalace (my skin was grandonlinepoker, aka doylesroom, aka fhmpoker) for their nice 10 cent giveaway sit-n-gos. Won some and eventually built my way up to $600. I loved the site.

However I then tried to cash out. That's when my relationship turned a little sour. First of all it took six weeks for them to transfer out my money. They "lost" my information twice and once told me that I sent the wrong numbers. Every time it would take a week for them to process and then tell me to start over. The second thing, as you sort of mentioned, was the oddness of the cards that started to occur. At first I tried to shrug off the bad beats, but I talked to a few others and they all told me they had horrific downswings the days following a cashout. I once counted 13 straight underdogs winning the hand with all-in preflops. Sure some were AJ to KQ, but several were small pairs trouncing big pairs. I transferred what little money I had left and went to UB, where I like it a lot.

Something just felt wrong while I played on Golden Palace, I recommend moving on to a new site.

edge
02-02-2005, 12:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Here is an example of my tight play gone bad. Keep in mind I have no problem tossing hands like AK and KK preflop. I have AA UTG and raise 5x. Only CO calls. The flop comes down A29 rainbow. I bet the pot and the cutoff calls. The turn is a 7 completing the rainbow. Again I bet the pot and the CO calls. Final card is a 2 and the CO makes his full house because he called my 5x raise with a 72 suited.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you're saying you caught him with boat over boat? Sounds like a good situation to me. I wouldn't want to leave a site like that.

gmetken
02-02-2005, 02:40 AM
I'm sorry - there were two different hands I was going to talk about and I mashed them. I had AKo vs 72s and the board came down AK2 (rainbow), 7 (completed rainbow), 2. Anyways, thanks for the UB info. I'm 90% gonna go for it. AND, as far as GPP, same thing happened a few times when I cashed out $200. Lose, lose, lose. I noticed the third time that after I had lost approx $200 my normal win % came back. Odd eh? I was sticking with all the weirdness all this time because I was still turning a decent profit, but as I said earlier, there was the biggest spike ever in weirdness the last few weeks so...

mason55
02-02-2005, 05:24 AM
So this one time at Pacific I got a royal flush and the other guy had quad aces and I took his stack but I'm thinking about leaving cause that could only happen if the site is rigged, right? What do you guys think? Please help me, I'm tired of being able to predict the turn and river and taking money from terrible players /images/graemlins/frown.gif

gmetken
02-02-2005, 01:05 PM
Hey Mason,
Is there a reason you need to be a jerk? The hand I pointed out was a example of a long string of similar hands that have come "in a row" lately. Comparing AAKK/77722 against a Royal/quads is hardly close. In addition, many others have found oddities at that site. Thank you for trolling.