PDA

View Full Version : The end of PT, PV, GT+, and other datamining tools

teddyFBI
02-01-2005, 06:50 PM
It just occurred to me that if Party and skins ever decide that PT, PV, GT+, etc. are unfair tools, all they'd have to do is allow players to change their playerIDs more frequently than the once every 6 months they currently allow. If players could change their IDs every 2 wks, for example, wouldn't this essentially render useless any and all data mining programs? Any reason party/skins wouldn't do this? all I can think of is that it might exhaust the universe of potential screenames, and people would have to resort to nonsensical strings of numbers and digits as their screenames.

Lost Wages
02-01-2005, 07:11 PM
I don't think this is going to be a problem.

1) Party doesn't care.
2) Hardly anyone would ever change their screen name anyway.
3) For PV/GT use, there isn't much added value to having 1000+ hands on a player vs 100. In fact, having only recent stats may actually be more valuable.

On the other hand, they can put a quick end to datamining by simply not storing observed hands on your hard drive. Not quite sure why they started doing it in the first place.

Lost Wages

excession
02-01-2005, 07:43 PM
I think they might allow you to change tags more often if stuff like pokeredge takes off.

As for datamining with PT I tend to mostly use it for 30 minutes before I sit down at a table - I don't care if they change their tags daily..

maurile
02-01-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Not quite sure why they started doing it in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because their servers were being inundated with hand history requests by email. (Because of PokerTracker.)

Lost Wages
02-01-2005, 10:49 PM
That explains the hands where you were seated, but why let you store observed hands?

Lost Wages

excession
02-02-2005, 03:18 AM
well it wouldn't be too hard for someone to just write a handgrabber program to grab text from the chat window (see the UB handgrabber we use now for instance) - but I am a bit surprised that they made it so easy and that you can see mucked cards (I guess that is just the default hh info though)

jasonHoldEm
02-02-2005, 05:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
That explains the hands where you were seated, but why let you store observed hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because "some people" were running programs grabbing hand #'s out of the chat text on observed tables and then running macros requesting them via email a couple thousand at a time, a couple times a day.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif
J

turnipmonster
02-02-2005, 11:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]

On the other hand, they can put a quick end to datamining by simply not storing observed hands on your hard drive. Not quite sure why they started doing it in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

they probably started storing HHs on hard drives because their mail servers were getting pummeled by everyone's autorequests every 2 minutes. I am sure the load on their database/servers dropped tremendously once they started storing HHs (which is a relatively recent addition btw).

--turnipmonster

Sarge85
02-02-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

3) For PV/GT use, there isn't much added value to having 1000+ hands on a player vs 100. In fact, having only recent stats may actually be more valuable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?

I would think the more data I had on a player the better. I'm always leary "trusting" data because of the short term luck factor involved.

I'd much rather have a 1000 vs 100 - even that is short term.

Sarge/images/graemlins/diamond.gif

Lost Wages
02-02-2005, 05:55 PM
I think that after 100 hands you could sort players into very-tight/tight/average/loose/very-loose (5 bins). After 1000 hands you could probably sort them into 10 bins. Same for passive/aggressive. My contention is that there is little to no advantage to doing so.

Once in a while you probably mislabel a player with only 100 hands but what's the real harm? Personally, I've never seen a player I thought was loose after 100 hands only to realize after a bunch more hands that he was actually tight.

Plus there is some question as to how accurate older data is. Which is better data to have on a player; 1200 hands collected over the past year or 100 hands collected over the past month?

Lost Wages

bobbyi
02-02-2005, 05:57 PM
There are many players who really like these tools. So much so that if Party stopped allowing them, they would start playing on a different site instead that still allowed them. The players who use these tools often play a lot of hours and multi-table which means that by losing their business to a competitor, Party would miss out on a lot of rake.