PDA

View Full Version : Sklansky groups, pokertracker and VP$IP

donkeyradish
02-01-2005, 06:19 PM
As an exercise I set up filter groups in Pokertracker for each of the Sklansky hand groups to see how each fared.

Unsurprisingly each group does better profitwise than the one below (with group 1 streets ahead of group 2). Nothing particularly interesting in that.

What was interesting though, when I looked at the average VP$IP I had for each group it followed a decreasing pattern as I'd expect. But within each group I realised I must be overplaying a lot of hands, and underplaying a lot too as there was some wide variance.

Just for example I seem to be 5 times more likely to play 66 than J8s (each of which are in group 6).

Seems I'm overvaluing medium/low pairs and Axs, while at the same time undervaluing (not playing as often as might be expected) offsuit high cards like KTo, QTo

The hand I have overplayed the most is A9o (yuck).

Well, I thought it was an interesting exercise, anyway.

ZZZ
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
Playing 66 5 times as often as J8s doesn't sound unusual to me. Sklansky is probably talking about tougher mid/high limit games where 66 can't be played that often.

A9o used to be my biggest loser. I've tightened up considerably with it, and it's now where it should be, showing a small profit. My standards for A9o now resemble:

Before CO, fold.

In CO: If first in - Raise. If 1 limper - Raise if limper is loose, fold otherwise. More than 1 limper - fold.

On button, If first in - Raise. If 1 limper - Raise if limper is loose, fold otherwise. >1 limper, fold if limpers are tough, call otherwise.

ZZZ

sthief09
02-01-2005, 07:31 PM
it is the opponent of many people that that book undervalues pocket pairs pretty severely. you should be playing 66 more than J8s. it's better under most circumstances

The Dude
02-01-2005, 07:49 PM
Forget the Sklansky Hand rankings. After group 1, the individual hands will not accurately represent a decsending order list of most profitable hands.