PDA

View Full Version : Monotone ace-high flop..how do I play this hand?

Stefan Prodan
02-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with K/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">6 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.25 BB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (3.25 BB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Final Pot: 5.25 BB

This is something that happens often enough that I feel justified in posting about it, because I really don't know how to play flops like these. Other person in the pot called preflop with 2/3 of his hands, total AF of around 1.05.

I fired the obligatory shot on the flop, then decided to check and see if I could improve my hand at all on the river. On the river, he hadn't shown any strength so I thought I still might have the best hand and bet. Is this correct, or will I usually only get called by a small pair or something like that that I will lose extra money to?

Derek in NYC
02-01-2005, 03:21 PM
Absent reads, fire again on 4th street, fold to a raise. Fire again on the river if called, if you think it that some reasonable amount of time e.g. 30-40%, the villain will fold.

The way you play it, I don't fire again on the river. Your king has some very marginal showdown value, but more importantly, your check on 4th street guarantees he will look you up unless he was on a 1-card nut flush draw.

Remember, you raised preflop. Fire the second barrel heads up.

chief444
02-01-2005, 03:30 PM
A turn bet I believe wins this more than 25% of the time. And if it doesn't you may showdown a winner anyway if he's looking for the flush.

I think the river bet was pretty bad.

molawn2mo
02-01-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A turn bet I believe wins this more than 25% of the time. And if it doesn't you may showdown a winner anyway if he's looking for the flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly

Stefan Prodan
02-01-2005, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do too. I don't post hands I think I played well /images/graemlins/smile.gif