PDA

View Full Version : lowlimit bankroll

10-02-2001, 08:10 PM
hello everyone,

Im just about to go play my first limit poker, and i was wondering how much of a bankroll i should plan. The game will probably be a 2-4holdem game. I remember reading an article on this, but i cant find it anymore, so thx for your help.

Marc

10-03-2001, 12:11 AM
Lets not confuse "bankroll", money alloted in your life for gambling, and "buy-in", how much you are willing to risk in a day.

"Bankroll" has little meaning for the occational low-limit player since you can always grab $100 our of your wallet. But how much should you be willing to risk in a day? That's a hot topic and while there are great minds that disagree, here I go:

I believe you should limit your losses for a day. If you lose a lot it may be because your judgement is bad, the opponents are particularly good or cheating, and the loss itself is likely to cause some sort of shock reducing your ability to play well.

How much is mostly a function of you. Don't bring so much that losing it is a "disaster" for you, either you cannot pay the rent, your mate will hate you, or your attitude will deteriorate preventing you from playing for a while. I also suggest that less experienced players make a limit of about 25bb, or $100 in a 2-4 game. Maybe a little more. Don't bring more than that and don't use the ATM.

- Louie