PDA

View Full Version : Recommend a book for me

istewart
02-01-2005, 12:30 PM
Wrong.

astroglide
02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
harrington on holdem is out too. but this post should go in books and software.

istewart
02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
Haha wrong forum.

apd138
02-01-2005, 12:37 PM
Way way way too much poker content here, my head hurts now.

shummie
02-01-2005, 10:30 PM
I just finished Crytonomicon by Neal Stephenson. It's like 1000+ pages, but a great read... truely a book of "our" generation.

- Jason

emonrad87
02-01-2005, 10:33 PM
If you don't like environmentalists, read Michael Chrichton's new book, State of Fear. It really trashes on the whole "the environment is dying" wackiness with appropriate and real references, and is a good read at the same time.

Dr. Strangelove
02-02-2005, 04:30 AM
catch-22

cnfuzzd
02-02-2005, 04:34 AM
catch 22 is excellent. If you arent ready for something that make you want to hate everything, might i recommend the "hitchhikers guide to...." series. Absolutley perfect,

peace

john nickle

BusterStacks
02-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was so f'ing stupid.

cnfuzzd
02-02-2005, 04:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy was so f'ing stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

much in the way that bricks hang in the air.

Hey. Seriously. I understand that you are a sad, lonely man. That doesnt mean that other people cant enjoy a good, entertaining story....

peace

john nickle

BusterStacks
02-02-2005, 05:05 AM
That's very funny coming from you. Why don't you just do us a favor and indulge your suicidal thoughts. Half your posts are a cry for help anyway, you're probably in a dark room listening to some Nine Inch Nails or something right now. "Hey look at me, I'm cnfuzzd, I am so disillusioned with the world and this society. I'm so cynical. Weeeee" You act like you are 15. stfu

Peace

John Nickle

cnfuzzd
02-02-2005, 05:14 AM
15 year olds are uncommunicative. I am over-communicative. The book hinges on misdirection in plot line, i think i provided that. You are angry. So am I. Ive already tried killing myself, and am too much of a pussy to do it. thus i think its wrong. And, before you get the bright idea to bandy this issue before me again, let me assure you that i have the scars and razor blades to prove it, and not in some sentimental keep-sake sort of way. I dont knwo if the urge to cut will over take me again. I honestly believe it wont, but this world is full of disappointment. However, the one thing im sure of, is i wont allow you, some one who i can identify with, and feel a kinship with, engage in confrontational dialogue with me, because i do understand what you are saying, and i am trying to offer an opinon outside the norm. I feel this way, and from what ive gathered from you, you can feel this way too. Weather or not you do is entirely up to you, and i could care less.

Know that i am a friend though.

peace

john nickle

BusterStacks
02-02-2005, 05:18 AM
That's actually really strange that you write that, as about an hour ago I was contemplating that very kinship while zoning out to some TV. I don't know why you would take shots at me then, knowing this.

cnfuzzd
02-02-2005, 05:24 AM
if i took shots at you, i am sorry. i understand why the shortcomings of the hitchhikers series, but i think that the average person would benefit from reading it, and i think that even you, buster, would benefit from rereasing at least on story from the series. Especially since the whole reason the suthor created the story was that he was destitute and poor in the middle of europe with no hope, no plan, and no friends to turn to. He simply thought "what if some aliense picked me up and took me somewhere else?" and the story grew from there. I can understand if you dont like it, but i would ask that you at least read one segment through once more before you condemn it for other people.

peace

john nickle

BusterStacks
02-02-2005, 05:27 AM
Actually I didn't even read it. I saw the movie like years ago ago. Maybe I should reread it.

cnfuzzd
02-02-2005, 05:33 AM
ok, i understand how i was taking shots at you now. By those comments, i merely meant that some stories would not be as amusing for you as they were for others. However, i really do think that if you reread them, there is some merit contained within. If not, hey, that is entirely your perspective, and part of what i enjoy most about meeting people i dont know is that they show me a viewpoint that i dont understand. I do apologize though for my comment. Sometimes, i essentialize the depression in my life so much so that i fail to realize that others arent so blaise about it, and am rudely crass. I do apologize, and am trying to do so sincerely. and probably messing up just as sincerely.

buster, you and i are okay. I would go so far as to say cool, but that would be presumptious. I hope for the best.

peace

john nickle