PDA

View Full Version : Question for Greg on WSOP Final Hand

Wayfare
02-01-2005, 12:06 PM
Hi Greg,

If Williams had raised all-in when the 2 paired on the turn, would you have called? The hand practically played itself because Williams never raised, but it would have been interesting to see him come over the top on that "scare" card. As I recall you both had several million left.

Thanks.

Greg (FossilMan)
02-01-2005, 04:33 PM
If he raises all-in on the turn, I'd hate it, but I'd almost certainly have to call. At that point, there would've been about 9M in the pot, plus his raise of about 3-3.5M, giving me pot odds of about 4:1 on the call. Pretty damn hard to throw away an overpair at that point, even if my read of him says he thinks he has the best hand. In fact, if I remember correctly, the turn card put a flush draw up there, which means he could be raising on AK in that suit, or AQ, or 67 in that suit, or maybe even something like a 4 or 5 in that suit (whichever was possible) plus an overcard in that suit. It certainly would've been a very interesting call to debate after the fact, whether I made it or not. It's the kind of raise that should beat 88 most of the time, but probably not more than 80% of the time, especially when playing the hand heads-up.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)

Wayfare
02-01-2005, 04:37 PM
Thanks greg. Nice hand /images/graemlins/smile.gif