PDA

View Full Version : Lederer Play in More Secrets Of No Limit Hold'em

stevetee
02-01-2005, 08:20 AM
Hi
I just finished watching Lederers DVD (part 2) and wonder what others might think of one of his moves.

Situation is 5 handed in a tournament (he doesnt state exact stack sizes or what the payout structure is)

Blinds are 100/200 and the 1st to bet is the short stack who has 500 chips and goes all-in with a pair of 5's
Next player has 7's and calls. Next has AJ os and calls. Small blind folds. Big blind has K 10 diamonds and Howard suggests a good sized re-raise to hopefully push out the other 2 callers.

What do others think on this play ? Bearing in mind that the short stack would almost certainly be facing elimination against 3 callers if the hand is checked down. But with the K 10 making it a 50/50 shot, he now has a chance of his small pair being good.

FMMonty
02-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Thats the kind of play you would do if you only cared about first place in the tournament, which for some people is the case. It's a very strong aggressive play.

AA suited
02-01-2005, 12:03 PM
you're putting in alot of chips if one of the others stay in.

you will win alot if it's just you and the shortstack AND IF you win. if you dont, you just gave life back to the shortstack.

i wouldnt do it. usually play if a shortstack goes all-in is check it down the river. i rather be facing 3 other players and be on the bubble.

David100
02-01-2005, 12:14 PM
if you get the others to fold it is great for your pot odds. If you have a reputation for being tight and go over the top there is a high chance they will fold.

However, you got to be careful. In this situation if i had AA,KK i may just call so that there are other callers and bust them on the flop or if they are re raising pre flop. I love hiding behind other peoples raises.

David

AleoMagus
02-01-2005, 12:35 PM
A move like this sounds great in theory - Because you know what everyone is holding.

Take that out of the equation and it just sounds to me like:

UTG raises all-in, gets two callers and I'm out of position with a hand that's easily dominated. Position may not matter too much in the SNG context though, as any re-raise at this point pretty much would need to be all-in. I suppose it all depends on stack sizes, but I think that this is another of those situations that if some unknown posted on here, we'd all be saying "what were you thinking with that silly play?"

Maybe Lederman can actually put reads like this together and knows his opponents well enough to anticipate what they can lay down in this spot.

In a typical SNG, I think this is a bad play mostly just because there is the potential here for a big confrontation, (1700 chip pot 3-handed preflop) and in general, if guys want to get into big confrontations, I'm happy to sit back, watch, and suck up $ev while they bust each other.

Regards
Brad S

schwza
02-01-2005, 02:27 PM
why would you pose a tourney question without saying what the stack sizes were?

stevetee
02-01-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
why would you pose a tourney question without saying what the stack sizes were?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's a good point and it annoyed me. Best I can offer is that the guy who came over the top had ginger hair ! /images/graemlins/wink.gif

He really should have been more specific in this example I think.