PDA

View Full Version : £ vs $ tables - anyone play both and know how the buyins compare?

The Bloke
02-01-2005, 07:53 AM
Hi all,

I play on Cryptologic servers in the UK, playing SnGs mostly at the £22 level. I've not been playing long, but so far I am doing pretty well and making money.

All of the info I read here relates to $ tables - I was wondering if anyone regularly plays in both currencies and knows how one would equate, say, a £22 table to a $22 table.

In pure monetary cost, £22 is currently equivalent to $44. I could therefore conclude that a £22 should be tougher than a $22 or a $33 and, as there are no $44 tables, might be best equated to a $55 table.

However the play at the £22s seems so poor, that I just find it hard to believe that that comparison can be true. I regularly play against guys who call a 3xBB raise on level 4, with J6s. Or who have no concept of odds, and min-bet their trips on the flop, and then bitch when I draw out to a flush.

So I thought maybe there might be other factors at work - perhaps £22 is really equivalent to $22, simply because it's the same number, and £ players tend to progress through the buyin levels at the same rate as their $ cousins, even though that means spending twice as much.

There's two reasons I'm interested in this:
1) I want to be able to best use the advice I read here; i.e. I want to know whether I should take on board advice written about the $22s, or the $55s
2) At some point I'd like to branch out to other poker sites, and would like to know what level is right. To keep making the same money as I am now, I'd want to play the $55s - but not if it turns out that the players there play at the same level as the £55s here!

Tom

Mr_J
02-01-2005, 08:09 AM
Actually in pure monetary value, 22 pounds is closer to $33US than $55US.

I'd start at $33s or maybe lower, since you need to adjust to the different blind and stack structures