PDA

View Full Version : AA hand with a small stack

Davey
02-01-2005, 06:22 AM
This is the first time I've posted a hand so if it doesn't look great that's why. I play on on TruePoker and had them email me this hand history but they dont give stack sizes. Anyways.

Full ring game NL25 with both blinds at $1
It's only 6 handed at the moment though

I have $22
Button has me covered. by a decent amount but i dont remember exactly how much.

I'm utg+1 and get A /images/graemlins/heart.gifA /images/graemlins/club.gif I raise to $5
only button calls. -he's been really fishy. calling raises with J8 off and hitting monsters.

the flop comes 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif5 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

I bet out $7 ($12 pot) button calls.

turn K /images/graemlins/club.gif

I go all-in here for my last $10. button calls.

River 8 /images/graemlins/heart.gif

final pot $44

he showed J /images/graemlins/heart.gif7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif for a rivered flush.

My question is how should i have played the flop?
I usually like to bet about the full pot to keep draws out, but I dont have a very big stack. if i bet $12 i only have $5 left and that will get called easily. plus if the flush hits on the turn I might be able to get away (I wouldn't though this hand because I have the A /images/graemlins/heart.gif)

Should I have just gone all-in on flop?

Button was really fishy so I figure he's calling with a flush draw no matter what.

thanks for any input on this hand

mythrilfox
02-01-2005, 06:37 AM
I'd have pushed so you can make it look like a missed AK and he may call with a low pair type hand. And you obviously don't want to give a free card by checking.

I'm confused though, are the blinds 1/1? That seems like crappy structure.

theblitz
02-01-2005, 06:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Should I have just gone all-in on flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

Since you are reasonably certain that you have top hand at this point and that your opponent is on a flush draw you have to make it expensive for him to call.

He has an approx 35% chance of hitting with 2 cards to go so he does have reasonably correct odds to call your flop bet (1.86:1) - Remember he doesn't know you have the Ace of Heats so he will call assuming you don't. Add to this the fact that you are not going to get away whatever comes up on the turn then you might as well push now.

Always make him pay to draw. Even if he calls (which he probably would have done) and you lose, in the long run you will win.

Davey
02-01-2005, 06:56 AM
Ya the blinds are both $1. I only play these when the NL 50 tables aren't full. I dont really like the NL25 tables but I'll play them while I wait for another table to fill up.

More on what i was thinking in that hand.

If i push on the flop i thought a flush draw would call easily because even though he doesnt have the right pot odds he wont have to call any more bets. plus he has 2 chances to hit. (I know i shouldnt be worried about this but i was trying to think how he would think.)

if i leave something behind to bet on the turn i thought there was a chance that he would fold. since he's still not getting proper odds to call.

should my thinking change whether it's against a fish or normal player?

and would you still push the flop against a solid player?

thanks again