PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best LIVE ROCK band of the last 15 years?

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 03:52 AM
I have tried to include every band that might qualify for this title. Some bands, at least in my mind (and I think in the mind of almost everybody else) clearly would not cut it. If I have forgotten anybody blatant, feel free to flame away. This could have been a list of more than 100 bands. Some of the bands I have listed I think are clearly attrocious, and some of the bands I think are excellent I didn't include, simply for lack of popularity.

Let's hear some reasons for your votes too.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-01-2005, 03:59 AM
[censored]!!! i saw chillipepers right after i voted for rage. Its close but the pepers win. Wait, its not even close.

tdarko
02-01-2005, 04:06 AM
i saw roger waters live and it blew me away and i am counting that as pink floyd. i like this poll cause i have seen most of these bands live.
i thought smashing pumpkins were very good as well as rage and neil young.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 04:11 AM
For anybody who cares, the Van Halen listed is Van Halen with Sammy Hagar only (this probably goes without saying).

Ulysses
02-01-2005, 04:15 AM
This is a really dumb thread for a poll.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This is a really dumb thread for a poll.

[/ QUOTE ]

The poll itself might not be that helpful, but does it really hurt the thread? Or is it the thread itself that is the problem?

BusterStacks
02-01-2005, 04:17 AM
DMB although I don't really think their music is that great, their live show, dedication to fans, and constant touring put them a cut above the rest.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-01-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
DMB although I don't really think their music is that great, their live show, dedication to fans, and constant touring put them a cut above the rest.

[/ QUOTE ]

ROFL

BusterStacks
02-01-2005, 04:20 AM
Out of all of the bands on here, you could probably name more than 1 song by maybe 5 *TOPS*. You are hardly qualified to make statements about anyone else's preference when that vast majority of your own opinions are based on those of others.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 04:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Out of all of the bands on here, you could probably name more than 1 song by maybe 5 *TOPS*. You are hardly qualified to make statements about anyone else's preference when that vast majority of your own opinions are based on those of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is true for anybody here, they are in desperate need of good music in their life.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 04:35 AM
I chose Pearl Jam. After seeing them 31 times, I'm plenty biased, and it's still tough choosing between them and Bruce Springsteen. Pearl Jam regularly plays pretty lengthy sets, completely changing up the setlists every night. In 2003 in Boston, they played three nights, and played nearly 100 different songs, only repeating "Yellow Ledbetter." They are far and away the most entertaining live band to have formed in the 90's in my opinion.

bugstud
02-01-2005, 04:56 AM
I voted Metallica. A 2 hour set by these guys is a thing of beauty

Chris Daddy Cool
02-01-2005, 05:11 AM
i haven't been to many concerts in my life, but Red Hot Chili Peppers effing kick ass.

daveymck
02-01-2005, 05:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I voted Metallica. A 2 hour set by these guys is a thing of beauty

[/ QUOTE ]

From that list it is Metallica and its not even close.

thirddan
02-01-2005, 05:21 AM
Dave matthews band blows...are they even rock?

stone temple pilots were insane live...these are also mostly big show bands, club bands have better shows IMO...

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
02-01-2005, 05:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are hardly qualified to make statements about anyone else's preference when that vast majority of your own opinions are based on those of others.

[/ QUOTE ]

me and my team of preference experts agree that i think youre ghey!!!!17

bernie
02-01-2005, 06:10 AM
_

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 07:02 AM
Sorry... a definite oversight.

plaster8
02-01-2005, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
For anybody who cares, the Van Halen listed is Van Halen with Sammy Hagar only (this probably goes without saying).

[/ QUOTE ]

What? You're not including their 1998 tour with ex-Extreme singer Gary Cherone? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

(Here's the funny thing -- the VH show I saw with him was better than any of the Hagar VH shows I've seen. Honest.)

Tosh
02-01-2005, 07:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
i haven't been to many concerts in my life, but Red Hot Chili Peppers effing kick ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well said.

I should also say that although most of those bands are good Oasis live are absolute s[/i]hit.

young nut
02-01-2005, 07:58 AM
No Pantera in the list? bah. Well if you are gonna leave out Pantera I'll have to vote for Floyd then.

B00T
02-01-2005, 09:29 AM
Aerosmith is good.

I would also submit a vote to Bon Jovi. For once I will say an artist may be biased not me, seeing as I have seen him in Giants Stadium (his home by his own admission) he really goes nuts there. He played in a thunderstorm last year and it was electric for over 3 hrs in the place.

FWIW I think a crowd really makes a concert good or bad. His fans, in Jersey, he deserves mention on this thread.

Shajen
02-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Metallica puts on an amazing show. The band is known for being the best out there on tour.

It's an easy call.

sfer
02-01-2005, 10:26 AM
I've never had a better time at a show than the Flaming Lips. Jonathan Richman is pretty fun too.

beerbandit
02-01-2005, 10:37 AM
it seems tough unless someone has seen all the bands live

cheers

turnipmonster
02-01-2005, 11:12 AM
I concur, flaming lips should be on the list.

mmbt0ne
02-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Red Hot Chili Peppers was a great concert. Out of the poll choices, they get my vote, if only because I never got to use my Beastie Boys/RATM ticket.

InchoateHand
02-01-2005, 12:06 PM
And he rocked.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 01:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Red Hot Chili Peppers was a great concert. Out of the poll choices, they get my vote, if only because I never got to use my Beastie Boys/RATM ticket.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never got to use mine either, but I did see RATM three times before that tour and the Beasties twice before. I saw RATM on the Akron campus in our relatively small gym in 1996 or so... pretty insane times.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 01:46 PM
I agree now that I've read some posts that Bon Jovi, the Flaming Lips and Pantera should have been included. I forgot the fan base that Pantera had (even after being hammered with that night club shooting in Columbus story over and over again). I'm a big Bon Jovi fan myself, but for some reason, I thought Springsteen might speak for all of New Jersey. The Flaming Lips I know nothing about. I've never listened to them or seen them live. I wouldn't know to include them, but I have heard of them and have heard that they're good live before.

mmbt0ne
02-01-2005, 01:46 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

I never got to use mine either, but I did see RATM three times before that tour and the Beasties twice before. I saw RATM on the Akron campus in our relatively small gym in 1996 or so... pretty insane times.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/frown.gif

RATM count - 0
Beasties count - 1 (it was great, but not best ever)

Rushmore
02-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Obviously, it would have to be either Swans or Foetus.

Easily the two greatest live shows I've ever seen.

But somehow, they got left off your list.

MasterShakes
02-01-2005, 01:51 PM
Now that I look at the list again, I can't believe that I forgot AC/DC.

I purposefully left off Stone Temple Pilots, Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, Audioslave, and the Foo Fighters. While they were all solid bands IMO, I don't see how they can stack up to more than one or two of the bands listed, and I also didn't want all of the bands to be of one little era.

Tool is also a pretty big oversight.

AngryCola
02-01-2005, 02:51 PM
You forgot Tool and Perfect Circle.

I can understand not including the latter, but both bands gave me some of the best shows that I have ever seen.

Pink Floyd had their last tour in '94.
They also had fantastic shows.

I hear Bruce puts on a good show, but I wouldn't know.

radek2166
02-01-2005, 03:28 PM
For me I really thing GNR saved rock. everyone seemed to be going towards synthsizers at the end of the 80's. 1 exaple of that is ZZTop.

They came out when we needed a real rock group not some electric band.

lucas9000
02-01-2005, 03:52 PM
of the bands i've seen live (which is a lot, but doesn't include the stones, for example), i think 1994 phish was the best. say what you will, but i've never seen anyone top that.

i'm sure the boss and the e street band could tear their doors off, but sadly i've never seen the boss so i have to just go by my experience.

lucas9000
02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Metallica puts on an amazing show. The band is known for being the best out there on tour.

It's an easy call.

[/ QUOTE ]

what about the speed of sound tour? i heard they're a bunch of assholes.

lucas9000
02-01-2005, 03:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The Flaming Lips I know nothing about. I've never listened to them or seen them live. I wouldn't know to include them, but I have heard of them and have heard that they're good live before.

[/ QUOTE ]

check out the soft bulletin. and yes, they should be on that list.

lucas9000
02-01-2005, 03:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For me I really thing GNR saved rock. everyone seemed to be going towards synthsizers at the end of the 80's. 1 exaple of that is ZZTop.

They came out when we needed a real rock group not some electric band.

[/ QUOTE ]

apetite for destruction is one of THE great rock albums. sadly though, i never got to see gnr live.

zephed56
02-01-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

wonderwes
02-02-2005, 03:00 AM
RATM. If you went to one of there shows, you had a great time.

Kevin
02-02-2005, 08:02 PM
I saw Metallica a half dozen times in the late 80's early 90's, starting with the Ozzy Tour opening through Monsters of rock and, And Justice and the black album. It was incredible as they continued to develop their live show during that time. At Monsters, they played after Kingdom Come and Dokken, but before Scorpians and VH - and it wasn't even close, they kicked everyone's ass. Guns N' Roses was great on Use You Illusion - however, I saw them before the albums came out, so I didn't know a lot of the stuff. Whey they toured with Metallica, the was incredible. Not only was the music awesome and the show intense, but since Axl liked to wait until midnight to take the stage, there was 2 hours of waiting. During that time, they would scan the crowd and chicks would show their boobies. It kept getting more and more risque as it got closer to show time and I really thought we were going to see pink before GNR took the stage. No kidding, when the lights went down, the crowd moaned, but GNR was awesome. That was '92, I think.

In 2003, Axl and his band did their GNR tour when he and Dizzy Reed were the only members from the decade prior. There were only like 5000 people in the crowd, I got tickets for free. I had low expectations, but they were every bit as good as they were when they played to 60,000 in 1992. It was nice, however, that the tradition of flashing boobies started a decade earlier went on between acts (Axl still liked to go on late).

Tough to go see many shows with kids, work, mortgage, etc... but that was a nice reminder of a wilder, crazier time.

Late,
Kevin