PDA

View Full Version : Implicit Association Test

felson
02-01-2005, 03:35 AM
This test was discussed in Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink and is available in the "Demonstration" section here (http://www.implicit.harvard.edu/). The test reveals unconscious attitudes and biases which can be quite different from the stated beliefs of the test-taker.

Of the tests available, the most well-known is the Race IAT. One surprising result: half of the 50,000 African Americans who took this test have a stronger association with whites than with blacks. Gladwell observes, "we live in North America, where we are surrounded every day by cultural message linking white with good."

Reef
02-01-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This test was discussed in Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink and is available in the "Demonstration" section here (http://www.implicit.harvard.edu/). The test reveals unconscious attitudes and biases which can be quite different from the stated beliefs of the test-taker.

Of the tests available, the most well-known is the Race IAT. One surprising result: half of the 50,000 African Americans who took this test have a stronger association with whites than with blacks. Gladwell observes, "we live in North America, where we are surrounded every day by cultural message linking white with good."

[/ QUOTE ]

damnit, all that for a 'no preference' and 'inconclusive' test

BusterStacks
02-01-2005, 04:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American relative to African American

[/ QUOTE ]

NLSoldier
02-01-2005, 04:40 AM
Mine was the same but they used the terms white and black.

felson
02-01-2005, 04:52 AM
I scored a moderate automatic preference for European American over African American (or white/black, I forget how the test phrased it). It disturbs me that I have these unconscious preferences even though I don't want to have them.

As a follow-up, I took the European-American/ Asian-American test and found that I have a moderate bias towards regarding European-Americans as more American than Asian-Americans. I'm a second-generation Korean-American.