PDA

View Full Version : K8s In SB, and an EP Raiser. Should I play?

GrunchCan
02-01-2005, 01:30 AM
Players are not well-known, but they seem typically loose-passive.

Party 2/4, 10-handed:

Hero is SB with K/images/graemlins/club.gif8/images/graemlins/club.gif

Preflop:

1 Fold, UTG+1 Calls, UTG+2 Calls, UTG+3 Raises, 3 Folds, Hero...?

Entity
02-01-2005, 01:31 AM
Hero folds. You're looking at 6.5:1.5 or maybe 8.5:1.5 if the BB is loose. Either way not enough to make this a call.

GrunchCan
02-01-2005, 01:39 AM
You know, that's what I thought too.

But poki says I should call. I can't imagine why. Can you?

Ok, I must confess this hand never actually happened for real. I'm on a break to study without real play, and using poki is part of what I'm doing. It sometimes advises things that just seem wrong to me, and I'm trying to figure out who's right.

JP2k1
02-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Yeah just fold. Your implied odds are only a little better than if you had to just cold-call the raise, and what's worse is you'll be first to act on every street. Save yourself the 1.5 SBs.

Entity
02-01-2005, 01:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You know, that's what I thought too.

But poki says I should call. I can't imagine why. Can you?

Ok, I must confess this hand never actually happened for real. I'm on a break to study without real play, and using poki is part of what I'm doing. It sometimes advises things that just seem wrong to me, and I'm trying to figure out who's right.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Poki largely considers actual pot odds rather than reverse implied odds and position when offering preflop suggestions. Since you aren't a 4:1 dog to the Villain's range of holdings, I think it offers "call" as advice. I'm not absolutely certain this is correct, and I'm sure the authors of Poki could tell me why, but this is what I've noticed.

In a HU game, I can't remember any time that it has recommended folding to a raise -- this includes with hands like T3o, J2o, and such, which are some of the few hands I won't defend with (with position) in a HU match very often.

Rob